4 mth old determined to sit up

(7 Posts)
Smerlin Fri 07-Mar-14 18:14:42

As the title says really- baby is 4 months and always trying to sit up at 90 degree right angle if on her back or in my arms - looks like she is trying to do sit ups at the gym. This is causing issues in the following areas:
- trying to sit up while feeding (bottle-fed) but I can't keep teat full without her slightly reclined
- trying to sit up when lying in the pram and too young for the pushchair
- trying to sit up in the bath when on the bath support and risking banging her head
- trying to sit up straight while in car seat/ bouncy chair

While it's very endearing that she is so keen, we seem to be at a difficult in between stage! Any advice? Also I presume babies learn to sit up from their tummies so she is determinedly using a technique that won't get her the desired result ?

Smerlin Fri 07-Mar-14 18:17:34

Incidentally when we support her to sit on our laps/floor/Bumbo, she then wants to stand [rolleyes]

Pregnantagain7 Fri 07-Mar-14 19:19:59

Hi smerlin- your dd sounds very like my 5 month old ds except all he wants to do is stand! I swear if he could have his bottle stood up he would!
I haven't really got any advice really just wanted to sympathise however must say I did move him into the buggy part of his travel system about a month ago there was just no way he would lie flat on his back in the pram. I know you're not supposed to but I couldn't cope with the screaming he is much happier now when we are out and aboutsmile

ikeaismylocal Fri 07-Mar-14 19:36:19

My ds was the same, he learnt to sit up at 4 months old and after that he was much happier!

ikeaismylocal Fri 07-Mar-14 19:37:39

Oh and I put ds in the sitting part of the pushchair when he was 3 months old because he was furious if I tried to lie him down. He was always very strong, could hold his head up at birth and roll over at a couple of weeks old so I was sure he would be fine.

lola88 Sat 08-Mar-14 16:26:37

DS was sitting up in the pram from about 3 months he also sat in the high chair from then, I had one that reclined so he sat at a 90deg angle. He also went into a bigger car seat that could be used from birth until 3yr about 4 months because he screamed in the portable one. He hated being on his back so I didn't force him to do it he sat up about 4mo and without support from just under 6mo. If she can do it let her.

Melonbreath Sat 08-Mar-14 16:36:23

Jumparoo?
Dd was the same. I had a pram with a sit up flap thing and a harness so she was quite happy being wheeled about.
I also had a c shaped breastfeeding cushion that was useless as a cushion but brilliant at propping her up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now