Bath time discomfort... For me!

(23 Posts)
RebeccaJames Thu 06-Mar-14 20:19:57

DS2 is 3 months old and I am finding bath time so uncomfortable. It was ok when he fitted in the kitchen sink, but now I am bathing him in a baby bath that sits in our bath.

I've tried all different ways of holding him but my arms or back hurt whatever I do. I want him to have longer baths as he enjoys it so much, so what is the solution?

How do you ladies do it comfortably?

Theyaremysunshine Thu 06-Mar-14 20:21:31

Either super fast or for a longer play I get in with them, just have a towel laid out ready to put them on before you get out.

RebeccaJames Thu 06-Mar-14 20:26:51

Sunshine I have tried that and that's no walk in the park either! Firstly it's too cold and secondly the only way is to have him on my stomach or chest and then he's raised up out of the water!

What am I doing wrong?!

anothermrssmith Thu 06-Mar-14 20:31:39

This might be a daft question but have you tried sitting the baby bath on the floor? I prefer to have the baby bath in our bath but hubby finds it uncomfortable so he sits it on the floor and manages fine.

bellablot Thu 06-Mar-14 20:40:00

Bath on the floor. Babies only need a couple of minutes soak. Bending over the bath is agony but if you have to do it, try pulling your tummy in, pelvic floor upwards and hips forward, this keeps everything right and more comfortable.

RebeccaJames Thu 06-Mar-14 20:45:17

How do you lift a full baby bath onto the floor, or back into the bath when you need to empty it?

Ratata Thu 06-Mar-14 20:47:50

Not sure if you really want to buy a new bath but this one is just great, we have it and the moulded part holds DS perfectly. Has done since he was a newborn, now 7 months old: uk.mamasandpapas.com/product-acqua-two-stage-ergo-bath-pearl-white/4538472/type-i/ You can also get just plastic supports for the bath but these don't tend to hold baby quite so well I find.

MistletoeBUTNOwine Thu 06-Mar-14 20:58:32

Use a bath sponge- a big yellow sponge with a baby shape kind of moulded in it. Then you have hands free grin
Dd and DS both love it grin

Parliamo Thu 06-Mar-14 21:03:43

We had a bath seat thingy cost somewhere between 10 and 20. Hands free, much easier. Still have to lift in and out though, which I still feel is hard work! Pelvic floor and stomach muscle exercises are needed. (I never remember even though I know it will make all the difference) DH usually does bathtime!

mumofboyo Thu 06-Mar-14 21:22:22

We used to get in the bath with ds and then bathe him. We did it together though - I got in and bathed ds and then dh got him out, dried and dressed him. Would that work?

Failing that, could you not just put a baby bath on the floor and do it there?

RebeccaJames Thu 06-Mar-14 21:25:45

Am looking at the bath seat thingies now, but eager to hear how you lift a full baby bath out of the bath and onto floor... Or how you empty it if you fill with shower attachment (which we can't do as it wouldn't reach out of bath)...

It's only a few inches of water in the baby bath? You can lift that?
We used to put thr baby bath near the fire in the sitting room so dd wouldn't get cold. Lifted the bath in and out of the bathroom no problem

RandomMess Thu 06-Mar-14 21:29:11

I used the riged bath seat available from mothercare www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Ergonomic-Bath-Support/265758,default,pd.html

reveloutionised my life!

worriedsick100 Thu 06-Mar-14 21:32:36
TarkaTheOtter Thu 06-Mar-14 21:34:20

We filled baby bath with shower head then to empty it scooped a few times with a plastic container first so it wasn't too heavy to lift. We were lucky that the bathroom could fit a baby bath on a stand next to the shower so no bending down required at all. We used it for over nine months with dd. by the end she would just sit up in it. Now I have dc2 I bath them together in the big bath and am realising how much easier it was on my back with dc1.

CrazyOldCatLady Thu 06-Mar-14 21:35:26

Just put a couple of inches of water in the bottom of the bath! And we just lay ours on the bottom of the bath, they were too slippy to hold. They were perfectly happy and we always had a hand on them so there was no chance of them rolling over.

JuanFernandezTitTyrant Thu 06-Mar-14 21:36:41

Tbh we just lie DS on the bottom of the bath - we're with him the whole time and there are only a few inches of water in the bottom so nothing's going to happen. Does he need to be upright?

Wineoclocksomewhere Thu 06-Mar-14 21:38:20

I didn't bath often ut when I did I either got in with her or did baby bath on floor or on changing thingy - fill up with a jug/ empty same way if too heavy to lift?

I don't believe they need bathing every day.

SilverSixpence Thu 06-Mar-14 21:39:18

We used the round tub type bath with dd at this age, she loved it and we didn't have to worry about her falling over. It wasn't heavy either

notso Thu 06-Mar-14 21:39:35

When we had a tiny kitchen I put it on the dining table and filled and emptied it with a bucket.
When we moved to current house I put the bath on the kitchen work top near the sink.

TheBitterBoy Thu 06-Mar-14 21:39:57

We had one of these which worked brilliantly. Then once DS could sit up we got one of these

LooeyLou Fri 07-Mar-14 09:56:01

I too put a small amount of water in the normal bath and ds lies on the bottom he loves splashing and kicking or he does the same but in his baby bath

GingerDoodle Fri 07-Mar-14 11:53:37

When DD was small I only ever bathed her once a week, and from 3 - 9 months I did it in the sink! Noe she is bigger we just fill the bath and I kneel on the floor with her.

We've never used it but we have a Cossatto changing unit that has a baby bath under the changer with a hose attachment so you can drain it down the sink without lifting - its also on wheels.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now