Salmon patch/ stork mark/ angel kiss birthmark - any experiences with these?

(40 Posts)
Nickname1980 Thu 06-Mar-14 11:58:21

My baby boy is 3 weeks old and he has a salmon patch/stork bite on his forehead and across his eyelid. At first, I thought it was a bruise from the way he was delivered. But I was told by the doctor that it's a salmon patch birth mark, sometimes known as angel kisses or stork bites. It is a bit redder and bigger than ones I have seen on Google images though!

Does anyone else have experience of these birthmarks? I am told it will fade before he starts school. I'm not worried about it as, if it's just a salmon patch, as I know it's not dangerous. I am just curious to know other people's experiences!

evertonmint Thu 06-Mar-14 12:03:56

My DD had these at birth on her nose, above her top lip and eyelids. They were quite big and red and (we thought) noticeable for the first year but nobody commented. Now she is 3 they have faded to the extent where nobody would notice except us. We know they're there so can see the subtle change in skintone but I doubt anybody else does.

They become a little more prominent if she's ill or very hot - I guess something to do with blood flow.

A friend's 2 year old had these and they've also faded a lot.

SolomanDaisy Thu 06-Mar-14 12:11:01

My DS has two, one on his eyelid and one on his neck. The one in his neck is under his very thick hair, so I can't see it. The one on his eyelid is virtually gone, you can only see it if you look closely when his eyes are closed. He's 2.8.

Seeline Thu 06-Mar-14 12:35:27

My DD had one on her arm. It was very prominent between about 2 and 3, but had completely gone when she started school. She's 9 now, and if you know where to look you can just make out a strange area of skin but no-one who didn't know would spot it.

MiaowTheCat Thu 06-Mar-14 12:46:12

DD2 had one on her eyelid when born. These days (she's 1 next week) I can see it if I remember to look for it, but other than that no random strange would be able to. It gets redder when she's crying - but because of where it is if it remains slightly uneven pigmentation as an adult it would be very easily covered by eyeshadow (I reckon it'll be gone completely by school age though).

BotBotticelli Thu 06-Mar-14 16:30:26

DS had one above his top lip when born which looked like a hitler moustache shock

I am pleased to say at 15mo it has now pretty much entirely vanished!

MrsBungle Thu 06-Mar-14 16:33:09

Ds had stork marks across the bridge of his nose and all across his left eye-lid. They were quite red when he was born. He's 2 in May and if I look closely I can see them but they've faded to practically nothing.

Nickname1980 Fri 07-Mar-14 15:11:15

Thanks everyone! This is all really interesting. My mother-in-law just sent me a photo of my husband as a newborn and I noticed he had a stork mark too, right in the middle of his forehead - she had forgotten about it! There isn't a trace of it on his face now, but it was much lighter than DS's.

MewlingQuim Fri 07-Mar-14 15:19:47

My friend's son had one when he was born. It is gone now, he is 3 years old. I'm not sure when it dissappeared but it must have been gone for a while because I had completely forgotten about it until I read your op!

NigellasDealer Fri 07-Mar-14 15:22:23

actually yes my daughter had what the HV called a 'stork mark' on her top lip and it swelled up and broke open and got infected and was horrible with people staring at her and making comments ('what have you done to her'?) angry.
it was actually a haemangioma

Seeline Fri 07-Mar-14 16:57:53

Nickname - that's interesting because my DH had one on his back. I wonder if they run in families?

Pregnantagain7 Fri 07-Mar-14 19:25:55

My daughters both had them on there eyelids and back of their necks faded by one(ish). However when they are I'll the ones are thir eyes are visible again it's usually the first sign they're getting ill. Apparently I was just the same!smile

Pregnantagain7 Fri 07-Mar-14 19:26:58

Ill not I'll stooped iPad!

ikeaismylocal Fri 07-Mar-14 19:34:39

My ds has one on his neck, dp also has one on his neck in exactly the same place.

Dp had no idea he had a stork mark until he commented on ds's, I told him, he didn't believe me so I took a photo of his mark to show him.

Ds's hasn't faded all that much (he's 14 months now) but as dp still has his I don't imagine ds's mark will fade that much.

intheround Fri 07-Mar-14 19:38:11

Both mine had these on eyelids and back of neck. Took a couple of years to fade i think but can't remember exactly when .

TamerB Fri 07-Mar-14 19:38:13

My son had one-I was told it would go at about the age of 2yrs and it did!

sinpan Fri 07-Mar-14 19:42:00

My DS was born with 2 of these. They had faded by the age of 2 or 3 but did not completely go until he was about 7

Wineandchoccy Fri 07-Mar-14 19:45:12

I had one on my forehead and onto my left eye it disappeared when I was about 2.5yrs.

When I am really tired or ill it becomes visible again.

Pregnantagain7 Fri 07-Mar-14 19:51:16

Not sure if this complete rubbish but someone told me they were sometimes caused during birth as the midwife holds the head which is why they are so common on eyes and backs of necks.

Lozza70 Fri 07-Mar-14 20:00:04

DS2 had one on the back of his neck at birth. He is 20 months now and it is barely noticeable.

TwirlyCat Fri 07-Mar-14 20:16:26

My DD has one over her eye and one on the back of neck. I didn't realise what it was at first and kept on asking the midwives about DD's 'sore eye' and they kept saying it didn't look sore to them!! Anyway at 15 months at has significantly faded, you can only see it now if you know it is there.

Willdoitinaminute Fri 07-Mar-14 20:21:52

DS had full quota of all the above.They faded by the time he was 3 apart from the back of his neck and his left eye which only shows up when he's been crying. After a few weeks you stop noticing them until someone points them out.

MrsBennetsEldest Fri 07-Mar-14 20:29:08

I have one on the back of my neck as do 2 of my DCs.

Frusso Fri 07-Mar-14 20:30:59

My ds has them. One on his hairline at the back of his head. And a sprinkle of little ones over his eyes lids and between his eyes.

He's 10mo now and the one on the back of his head is still visible. The ones on his eyes have completely gone. And the ones between his eyes only really show when he's been crying
or running a fever.

CPtart Fri 07-Mar-14 20:46:01

Ds1 had stork mark on back of neck, soon vanished.
Ds2 had one on bridge of nose, also gone within a few months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now