Swimming lessons

(12 Posts)
Hellosquiffy Thu 27-Feb-14 18:05:08

I have just been looking around for swimming lessons for my DS 9 and Dd 4 (both unable to swim). I was wondering what Mnetters would see as a reasonable amount for a 1/2 hour lesson (group session or private)?

SwimmingMom Thu 27-Feb-14 18:06:33

At our private club 1-2-1 lessons are £20 for 1/2 hour. Group lessons are £12. I believe group lessons at a leisure centre are much cheaper £5-6.

rubyslippers Thu 27-Feb-14 18:06:36

I pay £5.50 per child for a 30 min group session (south east)

poorfoxyloxy Thu 27-Feb-14 18:09:05

my 8 yr old daughter goes for lessons at local leisure centre, once a week for group session (6 in group) half hour and i pay £15 a month direct debit so it's on a continuous renewal but was signed up for a minimum 4 months. She loves it and was late to learn as well, only started lessons in September, but it's amazing how fast she is progressing.

Hellosquiffy Thu 27-Feb-14 19:06:20

Thanks for replies. I rang one earlier it was a group session at our local leisure centre which was part way through a block of lessons so 3 weeks out of the 6 to go and I was quoted £96 for the both shock...that works out as £16 each per half hour??? I'm in Stoke-on-Trent by the way.

Taxpanicmum Thu 27-Feb-14 19:38:19

We pay £6 per half hour group lesson for mine ages 7 and 3.

soozlewoozle Fri 28-Feb-14 13:45:14

I pay £5 for 30 mins for a group session, the staff ratio is 1:3 or 1:4

3nationsfamily Fri 28-Feb-14 13:50:31

Especially for the 9 year old I would look around to see if there are any "fast track" intensive courses over the Easter holidays where they would go every day. 9 is quite late to be starting to learn and in many lessons they would find themselves in with a bunch of 5 yr olds so if possible try to accelerate the process if you can.

ilovepowerhoop Fri 28-Feb-14 13:50:40

I pay £21.20 a month for ds's lessons at a local leisure centre. He has group lessons that last 40 minutes once a week. They get a membership card and can also use it for leisure swimming during the week. There are only 2 children in his group at the moment so plenty of swimming is getting done!

I would recommend 1-1 or 1-2 rather than group. It's more expensive but better value in the long term, my DSs went to group sessions & the teacher spent most of the time dealing with the badly behaved kids while the parents watched indulgently from the side angry

I pulled mine out and taught them myself, only time they've ever listened as they can see I'm a good swimmer. They both now spend more time under the water pretending to be dolphins hmm

Chasdingle Fri 28-Feb-14 15:41:40

i would bet they are charging you for the full block of 6 lessons even though 3 left to go so that would work out £8 a half hour which is same as what i pay. If that is the case then you may as well wait till next block

Ladyface Fri 28-Feb-14 15:46:24

£18 a month for 1/2 hour once a week in a group of 8 at the LA run pool.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now