Locating a babysitter?

(2 Posts)
Tabby33 Wed 26-Feb-14 18:10:33

We don't have family and friends close by so don't really have options for baby sitters. We are wondering how you find a baby sitter and know they are trust worthy? Do we need to start becoming friends with neighbours to a trust worthy level?

Nervous situation but events might occur that we struggle.

chocolatebourbon Wed 26-Feb-14 21:20:58

I would really recommend www.simplychildcare.com. Their guide to finding/interviewing a childminder/babysitter/nanny is really helpful. Through their website I found four girls who lived reasonably close to me, interviewed them, followed up on references and felt really confident that I could call on them in an emergency. It seemed a bit over the top just for an evening babysitter but I don't think I would ever have found people so well-suited and well-qualified just by making friends with neighbours.
I guess it depends where you live though. I was in central London and living in an area popular with medical/nursing students - so website ad/effort to interview strangers made sense. Now I am in a rural area and have had to just find somebody where there is a personal link - like I know the parents reasonably well or friends have recommended her - but I am not as delighted with the quality of the sitters and mainly rely on the fact that I trust them to get on the phone to me quickly if they have any problem at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now