Tips on winding a baby when they are asleep

(6 Posts)
Tabby33 Wed 26-Feb-14 17:53:57

Hi all,

Our little boy is 9 weeks old now and we have figured out good winding technics through the day but bedtime is difficult. When he wakes up for his early morning feed it can take about an hour to get him back down because of wind. He falls back to sleep once fed and changed and for some reason this stops the wind coming out but he crunches loads!

We don't want to wake him but don't want him to sleep uncomfortably.

Even gripe water doesn't work on this feed.

Anybody else have this problem or discovered a solution?

Thanks all

traininthedistance Wed 26-Feb-14 21:51:32

Are you bf or ff? Apparently lots of babies (esp bf babies) don't need winding as much at night as the throat muscles and oesophagus are more relaxed. I tended not to wind DD at night as she fed to sleep and no matter what I did she didn't seem to burp afterwards. I'd be holding her upright for literally hours afterwards and no burp! Eventually I just used to leave her and sometimes she would wake up later in the night and when I lifted her up there'd be a quick burp, but I gave up trying to wind her at night in the end. Sorry that wasn't more helpful! Have you tried keeping him just held upright for 30 mins after a night feed just in case that would help any discomfort?

Tabby33 Wed 26-Feb-14 22:12:28

He is BF but he eats so fast he gets really windy. I always lift him up and him he straight hoping the burbs will come out. Some do, but not enough as he just crunches up like he is in pain whilst he is sleeping.

traininthedistance Wed 26-Feb-14 22:35:04

I wouldn't worry too much if he's not waking up in discomfort... I think he would wake up if he needed to!

MadameJ Thu 27-Feb-14 08:09:58

With both my babies I would offer the first side (which was always when they had fed furiously) then when they slowed down I would take them off and wind them. I then offered the other side so they could feed back to sleep. Might be worth trying!

puntasticusername Fri 28-Feb-14 08:00:59

Whenever you're bf (day or night), make sure that your baby's head is always higher than his tummy as he feeds. Then he has the best chance of being able to bring the wind up naturally during the feed. Sometimes I forget to do this (usually when out and about, feeding him on some godawful uncomfortable chair and also trying not to bang DS's head against the cafe table, or flash my boobs at the rest of the clientele) and he usually gets extremely uncomfortable with wind shortly after sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now