Feeding on the Night Shift

(28 Posts)
MoonlightPicnic Wed 19-Feb-14 13:43:41

My DW and I have the most gorgeous DS of two months old. Currently DW is on maternity leave and I'm working full time, so getting up at 5.45am and getting back (after picking DW and son up from her parents each day) at about 7pm. Recently DW proposed a rota where I do the 1am feed several days a week. Little one also seems to awaken at about 3-4 am at which time DW swings into action. Recently conversation has turned to me helping out more with the 1am and 3-4am feeds. I'm absolutly shattered due to my early work start and often have to drive, but she says she doesn't get a moment to herself so she's also very tired. What do other people do-Any advice would be great! This is our first DC.

Only1scoop Thu 20-Feb-14 08:00:05

Sorry 'then drive to work' not even

MyMILisfromHELL Thu 20-Feb-14 08:08:28

I co-slept & bf the dc. We all kept sane that way. I literally rolled over & flopped out a breast to administer the night feed.

OP, you should not be doing any night feeds IMO. You're too tired to drive which is highly dangerous & too tired to work efficiently which could do it's own harm. Your DW is not working & just needs to put up with the short term reality of night feeds.

mustardtomango Thu 20-Feb-14 08:12:47

There seems some pretty strong opinion on here, would think only relevant parts are...

- do you feel you could help, even temporarily, during the night? 4am feed suggestion below was prob most sensible if yes

- the reasons why your wife has asked (tired /coping mechanism /just needing your support etc)

If you can find resolution without anyone feeling isolated or unappreciated you're doing a great job

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now