When can I start using a bumbo seat?

(4 Posts)
Felix90 Tue 18-Feb-14 14:56:23

My sister has bought a Bumbo seat for my dd as she used one for both of my nieces and they loved it (I know some people don't like them). My dd is 8 weeks old and has been able to hold her head and neck very steady/strongly for a few weeks now. She hates being in any position except totally upright but I'm struggling to keep her in the right position. I've tried propping her up with pillows but she tends to slide sideways, and she's sat in the middle of my breastfeeding pillow but she's not upright enough for her liking!

Does anyone know when I can start putting her in the seat? I've tried searching and some places say 4 months old, but some say from when they can hold their heads steady. I don't want to do any damage by using it too early. I just sat her in it for a minute and she wouldn't stop smiling! (I took her out straight away though). Any ideas?

Christelle2207 Tue 18-Feb-14 15:17:16

I put mine in it from about 2 months- he would usually sit in it for about 5 minutes before grumbling. Now, at 6 months he sits in it more happily. Your baby will tell you if she's not comfortable so dont worry too much. If you can figure out how to get them out with the tray on let me know. I find mine useful for putting ds in when Im in the shower!

mycatlikestwiglets Tue 18-Feb-14 20:02:53

Bumbo seats are designed for 4 months and over so it may be too early. My DD also has good head control but I've just tried her in one at 15wo and I think it's too soon. You'll know if it's not right as they just look uncomfortable and will probably complain.

HabitualLurker Tue 18-Feb-14 21:56:43

What about a bouncy chair if she's not ready for a bumbo yet?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now