Letting a baby walk around with a recorder in his mouth

(24 Posts)
CaptainCunt Tue 18-Feb-14 09:48:32

He's 12 months and has been given a recorder. Has been walking for about a month and it's normally ok but I've got visions of him falling on it with it in his mouth and it going right through his head. Or something. Am I paranoid / over-parenting?

CrazyOldCatLady Tue 18-Feb-14 10:02:38

I wouldn't allow it mostly because of the noise.

CaptainCunt Tue 18-Feb-14 10:32:51

The noise is inevitable one way or another. Why would my friend give him a recorder sad

BoulevardOfBrokenSleep Tue 18-Feb-14 10:56:03

No, we have a house rule that you don't walk around with things in your mouth (toothbrush/recorder/fork etc). Too easy to fall over and damage your throat.

I would put it out of sight and let him forget about it until he is a bit older.

CaptainCunt Tue 18-Feb-14 11:39:28

Thanks boulevard I'll start enforcing that rule. I'm sure he'll only need telling once smile

STDG it's not that loud I don't think it's a proper one. Also he hasn't worked out how to blow it properly yet ha ha.

Cringechilli Tue 18-Feb-14 11:43:22

No you're not being paranoid.

Let him blow it if he is sitting down. Take it off him if he gets up.

Mintyy Tue 18-Feb-14 11:44:04

Charming username you have there op hmm. What's the story behind that?

LucyLasticBand Tue 18-Feb-14 11:45:09

i wouldnt let him wonder aorund with anythignin his mouth.

tethersend Tue 18-Feb-14 11:47:53

I like the OP's username.

I have recorders hidden away all over the house, for sanity and safety reasons.

I've come to the conclusion that anyone who buys your child one actually hates you.

Mojang Tue 18-Feb-14 11:54:19

I don't think its an entirely unreasonable gift, if it was given to develop a musical talent grin rather than annoy you. But, you do need to enforce a rule that it's only used when seated. Friend's ds lost his front teeth from running around with a recorder.

Definitely a good age to start reinforcing the rule of not walking around with things in the mouth. DH is a doctor, and once saw a hideous injury caused by a child falling forward whilst they were running with a toothbrush in their mouth. He is therefore militant about enforcing this rule with our DC!

Kittymalinky Tue 18-Feb-14 12:45:50

My DB was doing the same thing at age 4. He fell and gouged the top of his palette, a huge part came away and was flapping down. He has a massive whole in the roof of his mouth now and can't eat rice because it gets stuck up there and makes him gag.

Please, please don't let your baby do this, just the idea makes me feel wibbly

CaptainCunt Wed 19-Feb-14 16:58:21

Mintyy I used to be Lieutenant Cunt but I got promoted. Hoping to make Admiral one day. Fingers crossed.

Tethersend I assume that's your emergency recorder stash in case you're sad and need a recorder?

Mojang ( minecraft?) , WillSing, Kitty those are awful shudderworthy images ; sitting down rule will be shared with entire family immediately and indeed anyone I ever meet. Flapping palates and gums and teeth all over the place sad

Scrounger Wed 19-Feb-14 17:35:40

Likewise, they are told not to walk around with toothbrushes, recorders etc in their mouth. DTs were given some wooden ones from a Santa visit, they went on the fire one night.

Buy your friend's child a drumset.

specialsubject Wed 19-Feb-14 19:58:15

'Mintyy I used to be Lieutenant Cunt but I got promoted. Hoping to make Admiral one day. Fingers crossed. '

best comeback ever. grin

Mintyy Wed 19-Feb-14 20:42:06

I asked about the cunt in Captain's name because the many other mumsnetters who have included cunt over the years have generally done so in an amusing or ironic way. But of course when a joke has been done to death on a forum some of the old fogeys like me might think it looks a little bit lame.

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Wed 19-Feb-14 20:45:40

absolutely not.
Another one here with a brother who took out the roof of his mouth at 18 month as he was using a metal hoover tube as a trumpet and fell over.

lumpolead Thu 20-Feb-14 14:51:25

nothing more lame than putting someones username down though mintyy. most are daft and stupid - see mine.

im the same op. dd likes to toddle about with toothbrush which goes through me. causes a tantrum every time i take it off her though. sigh.

Mintyy Thu 20-Feb-14 15:46:09

She's got the word cunt in her username = its going to attract comment.

bellablot Thu 20-Feb-14 15:48:17

Would never allow it

I'm one of the numpties who fell whilst playing a recorder. Went through the palette & led to two weeks in hospital & reconstructive surgery. And I was 3 so definitely won't let my babes any where near one!

Bubblegoose Thu 20-Feb-14 15:57:59

CaptainCunt I wish you all the best in your journey toward admiraldom.

My 2.5 year old is also guilty of this and I have a hard time stopping her. I usually end up confiscating the recorder (after explaining why) and there are tears. I agree that it's a gift from someone who either hates you or doesn't have children.

lumpolead Thu 20-Feb-14 18:27:45

not really mintyy. you said yourself there are hundreds of usernames with cunt in, and since no one else felt the need to comment i think its fair to say that most other posters arent arsed.

you seem a bit uptight tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now