Baby sleeping bags/ gro-bags

(38 Posts)
Madratlady Mon 17-Feb-14 23:12:37

I have been given a couple of sleeping bags (one ikea one and another one) and was wondering whether to try putting ds in them when we start putting him in his cot at night.

Are they safe to use? No overheating risk or anything?

How have those of you who use them found that your dcs sleep in them? Did you find them better or worse than blankets? Would you recommend them?

MiaowTheCat Tue 18-Feb-14 08:43:48

Start weight for them varies - some have presstuds to make the arm holes smaller and start from 8lbish, some don't and start from 10lbish - had to take heed of them all when DD1 was so premature as to which ones we could use when!

TK Maxx often good for the branded ones dirt cheap, or we got some for a fiver from Tesco at one lucky point in their clearance aisle... but these days they're copied by all the main baby people and I think we used Asda's a lot as well (DD2 is a refluxer so we used a LOT of different ones as ones were in the wash).

BlueFrenchHorn Tue 18-Feb-14 12:25:01

I used them for dd from 10 weeks old to 2 years old. And am using them know for 6 month old.

BlueFrenchHorn Tue 18-Feb-14 12:25:44

I only used mothercare btw, they have lasted vey well.

Jennyl131 Tue 18-Feb-14 12:38:25

love them, ds2 is currently napping in one handed down from dd first worn 11 years ago (even if it is a but pink)

We used summer infant swaddles till ds2 was big enough for a gro bag, all the same advantages of not being kick-offable, feeding while still wrapped up etc. Stretchy enough too, so don't think they'd cause any future issues re hip joints as tight swaddling might.

redcarrot1 Tue 18-Feb-14 12:53:11

I got a 0-3 months sleep sac from Purflo (2.5 tog, ordered from Mothercare) as the 0-6 month gro-bags were too big neck-wise. It has a small opening for the head and so far my 4 week old is using it without issue.

HelenHen Tue 18-Feb-14 14:00:34

They're wonderful! We swaddled at first and then started using them once it was clear his head couldn't fit through. Now he's 19 months and it also means he can't climb out of the cot grin .wish they did them for adults!

Anothermrssmith Tue 18-Feb-14 15:41:45

My daughter has been in them since she got home from the hospital,but she was the right weight for them at birth. I think they're great and she sleeps much better in them rather than with blankets

toomuchtooold Tue 18-Feb-14 18:41:33

I think the Ikea ones are roughly 2.5 tog - we used them for our twins last winter (in their 18-36 month ones now). Grobag has a handy guide to what tog/what clothing to wear at what temperature at gro.co.uk/pages/what-to-wear

I think sleeping bags are thought to be quite safe from the point of view of SIDS because if they fit, there's no chance of the baby's face being covered. I love them! Only problem we had was that we bought 6-18 month ones with shoulder poppers and then at 9 months when they started standing up, they'd pop the buttons and wriggle out of them. Then we had to replace them all with Grobag zip ups!

Madratlady Tue 18-Feb-14 22:30:00

I found a tesco one in another big bag of baby clothes I was given , it's suitable for ds's weight and says 'maximum 3 tog'. What should I put him in underneath the sleeping bag? According to the geo-bag site then it looks like just a long sleeved vest? Our room very rarely gets colder than 18c and only occasionally hotter than 20c

toomuchtooold Wed 19-Feb-14 06:55:04

Madratlady, try the long sleeved vest and add more if he wakes up? That way you know you're not letting him overheat.

(Mine tend to be way more complaining about too cold than too hot - last spring we forgot to change to the summer sleeping bags and they didn't complain until the temperature in the room was 22 degrees! And they were wearing vests and babygros over a 2.5 tog Ikea bag. I bet all the mums of tiny babies are like shock at me now but you do eventually relax and forget to worry about these things!)

EvenFlo Wed 19-Feb-14 07:14:33

I love them cause my DS is a wriggler and stands no chance of keeping loose covers on. I actually think he sleeps a bit better in them too.

Underneath I have a gro-suit which is basically a thin baby gro with padded arms. Since changing to this his little hands aren't quite so cold.

QueenofKelsingra Wed 19-Feb-14 08:28:24

all 3 of mine have been in them since the early weeks (once they got to 7lbs ish) - the weight thing is about making sure they don't slip down inside them, so you just need to make sure their head and arms stay through the holes!!

we have merino ones and my guys wear babygros and a short vest in the winter (cold house) and just a vest in the summer.

they are brilliant, in fact my eldest stayed in his until he was 3yo!!

WheresMyCow Wed 19-Feb-14 08:41:03

My DS is still in his and he turned 3 in October!!

He was under his quilt in the summer but went back in the sleeping bags when it started getting cold again as he always kicks the covers off.

We had Ikea and Primark ones and they were both 2.5 tog.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now