Advice your Mother gave you that you actually listened to.

(251 Posts)
TheLostWinchesterWife Mon 17-Feb-14 20:47:47

Talking to my children today about being nice. Two seconds after they were tearing each other apart again.
Found myself saying 'I always listened to my Mum!'
...then wondered if I ever actually did.
Some of it was good and I should have followed and some was rubbish. But I couldn't think of any that I remembered thinking 'ah yes..I must remember that' so has anyone, anywhere ever listened to their mother?

MushroomSoup Fri 21-Feb-14 16:00:40

My mum warned me off making decisions early in a relationship - or losing my virginity too soon! - by teaching me

"Because you're in love with being in love, you think you're in love - but you're not!"

scottishmummy Fri 21-Feb-14 18:12:06

Never run after a bus or a man, there'll be another along in a minute priceless gem absy mum

Yama Fri 21-Feb-14 18:19:01

My Mum had a few gems. Yy to the not running after a man.

I took to heart the following nugget:

"No man ever left a woman for not doing the housework."

NearTheWindmill Fri 21-Feb-14 18:26:45

If you have to think about marrying him the answer's no.

MummyIsh Fri 21-Feb-14 22:25:01

"Never play in cut grass. You won't realise there's dog poo in there and you'll go blind."

My mum was really serious about this and her sincerity made me listen. Alas, I never went blind.

Yama Sat 22-Feb-14 18:07:12

I've just thought of another:

"I don't apologise, if I do something wrong it's because I mean it."

Which flew in the face of my Dad's advice of "Just say you are sorry - you don't have to mean it."

I'm not good at saying sorry so it looks like I take after my Mum.

SomeKindOfDeliciousBiscuit Sat 22-Feb-14 19:04:25

I have huge amounts of advice from my mum! Wouldn't know where to start. Mostly excellent as I've discarded the stuff about not plucking my eyebrows ever etc grin some controversial!
Top ones:
-don't be in competition with your husband. Once your relationship becomes adversarial, neither of you will ever be happy in the other's company
-marriage offers security to women that you never get with just a partner.
-put your baby to the breast and leave her there until she walks away
-there's plenty of time to go back to work once the little one is in school, particularly for someone of your generation
-look it up in a book
-make sure you study when you're young, it's much harder when you have adult responsibilities (my mum was a mature student for her theology degree)
-wear it now, because you'll be too old to wear it eventually (including adventurous/theatrical stuff as a teen)
-don't take up with a Jewish boy (wait for it!!) because the Jews have had a terrible time again and again in history and recent history shows it hasn't stopped yet. Also a Jewish boy won't usually marry you because your children wouldn't be Jewish.
-don't take up with a musician or a travelling salesman, they'll have a girl in every town
-happy times with your family are positives in the bank to help you through bad times together

And from grandma
-don't wear fur until you're forty or people will think you're on the game. Once you're forty they'll know you're a valued wife.
-take the baby to Darlington. Once you go there, you'll never holiday anywhere else (ominous)

MorvahRising Sat 22-Feb-14 20:41:35

Always remember when you drive a car you have an instrument of death in your hands! A bit melodramatic but I've never forgetten it.

joanofarchitrave your mother's advice about writing to the bereaved is spot on. When someone dies now most people just seem to buy a card saying 'much sympathy'. Actually taking the time to write a letter, however difficult, is a really personal thing.

scottishmummy Sat 22-Feb-14 20:47:00

don't wear fur until you're forty or people will think you're on the game
That's priceless!cracking one there granny

atthestrokeoftwelve Sat 22-Feb-14 21:52:11

"Asian people are dirty"

atthestrokeoftwelve Sat 22-Feb-14 21:54:18

Sorry- not that I listened to that- my OH and are children are Asian of descent.

storynanny Sun 23-Feb-14 18:40:59

And to continue the theme this is what advice I would give (if asked of course, I know my place as a mother in law)
Wear your best things every day, dont save anything "for best"
You are the expert regarding your own child

ILoveDolly Sun 23-Feb-14 18:56:18

My mum told me to always have a contingency fund, which was better advice than 'watch yourself around medical students, they've got a reputation'. I married one!!!

CraftyBuddhist Sun 23-Feb-14 19:10:47

My mother never gave me any advice on anything sad.

I'm hoping to change that with my own children and I want to thank you all for such brilliant gems.

atthestrokeoftwelve Sun 23-Feb-14 20:14:04

Crafty- we can change things. I am sure you will pass on lots of great advice to your kids.

TheBigBumTheory Sun 23-Feb-14 20:16:06

Look after your feet, you only get one pair

rabbitlady Sun 23-Feb-14 23:34:51

don't take up with a musician or a travelling salesman, they'll have a girl in every town
my mum said exactly the same thing!

BigBoobiedBertha Sun 30-Mar-14 12:17:47

'Never trust a man who doesn't have a good relationship with his mother'

On the whole I think she is right although there are exceptions of course. Being a mother does not automatically make you a nice person.

ScarletStar Sun 30-Mar-14 12:27:26

LaQueenOfHearts - "If you have children, remember they are only on loan to you for about 18 years - but this marriage is for the rest of your life, make sure you look after it"

Love, love, love this. So true.

Postchildrenpregranny Sat 14-Mar-15 14:36:37

It will all come out in the wash
Tomorrow is another day
Don't go to bed(or on a journey) on an argument
Have a little bit of money that is your own

Me to my DDs
Life isn't fair-get used to it

Postchildrenpregranny Sat 14-Mar-15 14:44:55

And also to my girls
If you cant be good be careful
Live well Laugh often, love much

Postchildrenpregranny Sat 14-Mar-15 14:49:09

Only the boring are bored

Postchildrenpregranny Sat 14-Mar-15 15:06:01

Gardening is the best therapy
Have a bath and wash your hair and you will feel much better about life

squizita Sat 14-Mar-15 19:46:41

At the first sniff of a cold, have a lemsip, a brandy, and 12 hr sleep with vicks and a hot water bottle.

Mrsmopnotbucket Sun 15-Mar-15 16:46:47

Try before you buy... ie spend your earlier years shagging around. To quote, 'don't wait til you're married, what if his things at a right angle and he's all fingers and thumbs...'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now