Is 8- 9:30pm too late for a party for 8 year olds???

(64 Posts)

Hi, I was thinking of hiring our local ice skating rink for our daughters birthday party. It's only available for private hire at this time, unless we pay an extra £200! I wanted it to be private hire, so that we can have the "Frozen" sound track playing and have balloons around etc.
It's really not going to be worth it though if the parents think it's too late and no one ends up coming. My daughter is always in bed by 7:30pm, but if she has a little nap she can stay up much later.
I thought as they would've already eaten, we could just have a birthday cake and flasks of hot choc.
What do you think? If it was you're child, would you let them go? Parents are invited too by the way. smile

DukeSilver Sun 09-Feb-14 19:15:46

For a one off weekend special occasion I wouldn't have a problem with a 9.30om finish at all. I'd much rather it to an 8am start grin

BuzzardBird, they could bring their wine (if we have a mini bus) It might encourage them to join in! grin

This was a last minute idea really, we were going to have a quiet family birthday tea, after a day out with just my DD and her cousin.

Do you think this kind of party would be better for her last birthday at primary, so for 11 year olds? She probably won't be into Frozen by then, but we could have a disco.

Eastpoint Sun 09-Feb-14 19:25:02

Too late and really annoying to have to spend a Saturday night ferrying a child around.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sun 09-Feb-14 19:27:21

Yes, 11 year olds would be fine. Why not go for that?

Clutterbugsmum Sun 09-Feb-14 19:33:39

Too late and to far away.

The children wouldn'tbe getting home till gone 10pm if it's 30 mins away from where you are. Also I think some parent wouldn't want to be going out to children at 7.30pm and wasting an evening. It's bad enough when it's an afternoon party.

I thought the parents would like it too, they can have a skate, glass of wine and a chat with the other parents. We are really lucky at our school that all the parents seem to get on really well, and often go out together. I thought it'd be fun...Maybe not then.

I might see what some of them would make of it, then if not, go back to my first idea and maybe do that for her 11th.

Shesaysso Sun 09-Feb-14 19:45:36

Too late for mine x

starlight1234 Sun 09-Feb-14 19:46:26

maybe if it was one of his closest friend but not for someone who is an aquaintance

Save it as an idea for next year or the year after. Ice skating parties are fab.

Floggingmolly Sun 09-Feb-14 19:49:17

I think it's too late, and not everyone would want to devote Saturday night to a kids party. It's a fabulous idea, though.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sun 09-Feb-14 19:49:45

And on a minibus people would get back even later, surely, as all would have to be dropped off?

lljkk Sun 09-Feb-14 19:50:10

Mine would be absolutely fine with it. maybe a better party if held jointly with someone else at an earlier time?

rookiemater Sun 09-Feb-14 19:50:49

As a one off on a Saturday night, I think it would be ok. I'd be extremely hmm about an 8.00am party start, and would probably not take DS,unless someone else was willing to give him a lift there ( we have no other DCs)

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Sun 09-Feb-14 20:19:50

Have you asked some of the parents about the lateness mummy ?

The minibus idea would def be an incentive for parents to relax and enjoy it more!

<still sat here in Sochi leotard and full winged peacock eye make up waiting for invite...drums fingers...>

muminthecity Sun 09-Feb-14 20:31:38

I would definitely let my DD come, she is 8 and often stays up until 10-11pm on a Saturday. In fact, we often go out for dinner with friends or to family parties at the weekend which finish later than 9.30pm. I'd much prefer that to an 8am start!

PortofinoRevisited Sun 09-Feb-14 20:35:16

I think it is too late and would be worried about potential injuries. We have a permanent rink in Brussels in the winter and the number of FB posts of broken wrists/arms.......

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter- Of course you can come, if we end up having it. I would've invited earlier, but your name was difficult to remember. grin

Mama1980 Mon 10-Feb-14 12:09:46

My ds is 6 and I would let him come no problem in fact he has been to a similar 'late' party, it wasn't a issue for anyone I don't think.

uc Mon 10-Feb-14 12:10:51

I'd say too late.

Also, if we had plans to go out as adults that Saturday night, it would stop those too.

Why the rush? Save it til she's older. (you'll spend less time picking up cold 7/8 year olds who can't skate and just get wet and frozen (literally!) by then too.

LoopyDoopyDoo Mon 10-Feb-14 12:14:25

I'd be fine with it. Mine are 2 and 4 smile

AthenaAshton Mon 10-Feb-14 12:15:11

Regardless of the timing, there is no way I would let any of mine go in a hired minibus!!!

Sounds a great idea for a party, but perhaps better for older ones. My oldest is 11, and I'd say it would be fun for that kind of age-group.

(disclaimer: we have never done big/expensive parties for any of ours).

jamtoast12 Mon 10-Feb-14 12:17:44

I'd be fine too and mine are 8 and 6. Can't see a problem at weekends....the kids would love it. Most kids I know of 8 these days can last til 10pm if with their friends (different if sat in front of tv as they tire much more easily then).

Wishihadabs Mon 10-Feb-14 12:22:16

God you lot are miserable. I think it's a great idea for a Saturday night (I love ice staking). Part of having kids is ferrying them about, be that 7am swimming or 10pm pick ups. I feel sorry for your dcs if you think your Saturday night is more important tbh.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 10-Feb-14 12:25:36

It sounds fab but would be too late for our 8 year old.

By the time you've paid for the minibus (or minibuses - I assume there'll be quite a few there to create a decent atmosphere on the ice) and wine wouldn't it be cheaper to pay the £200?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now