How many god parents (or equivalent) does your child have?

(41 Posts)
Toklastennis Mon 27-Jan-14 20:27:25

Just that really ,,,

ashtrayheart Mon 27-Jan-14 20:27:47

None.

therunnawaybride Mon 27-Jan-14 20:30:54

Four, two godmothers and two godfathers.

onetiredmummy Mon 27-Jan-14 20:32:41

None as we are an atheist household & my DCs have not been christened. The point of a godparent is to ensure the child is brought up in the Christian faith, which wouldn't be at all applicable for us.

If we had a non religious naming ceremony there still wouldn't have been any 'significant adults' that were to play a special role in the child's life. Either you take an active part & interest in the child's life or you don't.

except in my ex sils family where such a role is used to demonstrate how speshul that person is to the mother & expected to be reciprocated

dogindisguise Mon 27-Jan-14 20:34:36

Ours don't have any as they weren't christened and we aren't religious. I didn't have any as a child either.
I really only have one pre-DCs friend who sees them on a regular basis.

watfordmummy Mon 27-Jan-14 20:35:53

Both my ds have 2 godfathers and one godmother, but I'm very old fashioned and probably in the minority here on MN smile

Back2Basics Mon 27-Jan-14 20:36:51

None, I was debating to sort it out for my oldest friend to be godmother but she wasn't that bothered and I'm not religious. They're to old now anyway.

lilyaldrin Mon 27-Jan-14 20:37:31

DS has 3 "god"parents - 2 women, one man.

joyfuljoyous Mon 27-Jan-14 20:44:59

My lil one has Two. One male and one female x

nldm1 Mon 27-Jan-14 20:52:38

None. Both of our children were baptized and are being brpught up Christian, but the whole God-parent issue was that if we chose such and such then we would have to also choose so and so and it seemed ridiculous when the majority of both of our families share our religion and will support our children in this way (as well as many other ways) anyway.
You don't have to have any and it's worth noting that God-parents have no rights in the up-bringing of your child(ren) should something happen to you and their father. That would be a legal matter to include in a will.

Ragwort Mon 27-Jan-14 20:57:39

Three - two Godfathers and one Godmother. We chose friends who were younger than us (we are 'older' parents grin).

Bankholidaybaby Mon 27-Jan-14 21:02:05

Two male, two female.

Noggie Mon 27-Jan-14 21:07:03

Dd1 has 1 godfather and 1 godmother. Dd2 has 1 godfather and 2 godmothers- all family members x

TheGirlOnTheLanding Mon 27-Jan-14 21:19:34

None. We are atheists.

I do kind of wish there was a non-religious equivalent though. I think it's a nice idea to have a non-related adult who has a special relationship with you. I don't think it works as well when you choose family as they are more inclined to treat siblings equally, so the special relationship is somewhat lost.

Cataline Mon 27-Jan-14 21:36:43

DS has 3 Godmothers and one godfather. Baptised into the catholic faith although we are no longer practising.

lilyaldrin Mon 27-Jan-14 21:39:35

You can choose a non-religious equivalent if you want to TheGirl - there are no rules.

kimlo Mon 27-Jan-14 21:42:45

dd1 2 godmothers and 2 godfathers

dd2 3 godmothers and 2 godfathers

two of them are shared

JugglingChaotically Mon 27-Jan-14 21:49:00

Each have 3 - 2 godmothers and one godfather as girls!

My twins have one, my sister.

DD has 3 - a couple (M+F) and one other (F). They are the non-religious equivalent and it seems to be working well.

ancientbuchanan Mon 27-Jan-14 22:40:27

Six. 3 of each gender. We were old parents and I wanted lots in case.something happened to us.

So we chose friends with a range of interests. The things we are interested in and the things we are not. It's great. Except for the thank you letters.

BoffinMum Mon 27-Jan-14 22:41:15

4, 2 male and 2 female

2beornot Mon 27-Jan-14 22:47:13

3, two male and 1 female.

I have friends who are "guideparents" to a little girl. I guess that's a kind of equivalent.

I like the thought of dd having special adults that she can go to either for a second opinion or for advice is she can't talk to DH or me. I chose them more for this than the Christian spiritual guiding.

starlightloz Mon 27-Jan-14 22:48:53

4 each for the two eldest of mine and the baby will have four as well when we get around to having him dedicated but have only asked two of them so Dar.

MrsCharlesBrandon Mon 27-Jan-14 22:50:21

DD1 has 4, 2 of each.
DD2 has 5, 2 men 3 women.
DS has 4, also 2 of each.

They have lots of (non-related) aunts and uncles too. If anything happens to us the DCs will be going to DB and DSIL, they are the closest in age to us and are most likely to raise them the way we would.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now