Suggestions for where to take a 4-month "family sabbatical" outside of London?

(54 Posts)
eversomuch Sun 26-Jan-14 20:42:40

Hmm, can't find a category where this fits exactly, so hope it's ok to post here.

Changes in our work and housing situations mean DH and I are considering possibly taking four to six months off this spring and summer, relocating within the UK somewhere cheap but lovely and just spending time with each other and our two DC (3 and 1) and maybe finding time to do some creative projects before returning to London in the autumn.

Any suggestions as to locations we might want to consider in England or maybe Wales? We're looking for places that would offer a lovely quality of life (with lots on offer for the kids and great access to nature), low cost of living and decent public transport links. Not needing a car would be a plus. Good chance of avoiding a wet, cold summer would also be great. smile

Middleagedmotheroftwo Fri 31-Jan-14 13:53:40

Oooh Cardiff is nice too!!

caroline12345 Thu 13-Mar-14 08:54:50

Hi there we have a house in Polperro, a cute fishing village in Cornwall which is available for sublet right now as we are O/S. Its great for our 21 month old - there is a cot in the main bedroom good for your one year old and a second room with child's bed perfect for the three year old, lots of toys, books etc. Pedestrian area in the village safe for kids etc. Contact carolinebaillie1@me.com

TurnOffTheTv Thu 13-Mar-14 09:03:18

Durham! Small city, loads to do, you have the lakes/Yorkshire/Northumberland all within 90 mins and Newcastle if you want something more exciting. Three hours on the train back to London.

MrsSparkles Fri 14-Mar-14 19:19:42

I love Kent (but then I do live there smile). Whitstable, Deal have loads going on. Broadstairs and Margate - have beautiful sandy beaches which are great for kids.

It also seems to have its own microclimate, so quite often when it's wet and miserable across the UK it misses them out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now