5yo has called my bluff on a threat. Now I have to follow through. Not sure how. Help.

(35 Posts)
Shhthebabyisasleep Wed 22-Jan-14 12:42:45

Ongoing battle to get kids to bring their lunch boxes in from the car and put in the kitchen. Daily nagging and pleading. They don't have to wash them, just don't make me trail around the house and car looking for them. Bring them into the kitchen, that's all.

Today I reminded them.

Then I got cross and told them to jolly well go and get them now.

Then I said, "ANYONE WHOSE LUNCHBOX IS NOT IN THE KITCHEN IN TWO MINUTES FROM NOW WILL NOT BE GETTING LUNCH TOMORROW."

They ignored me.

Then I said, "THAT'S ONE MINUTE"

Then the 7yr old raced off and got hers. 5 yo just shrugged and kept on with his game.

Have since heard 7yr old tell 5yr old he's got to get his lunchbox or he won't get lunch tomorrow. He laughed and rolled his eyes.

Now what???

I am feeling quite happy to send the little blighter without lunch but I can see how that's just a problem for his teacher. It doesn't seem fair to make her the one supervising him not eating any snack or lunch when everyone else is.

What to do? What to dooo?

ghostinthecanvas Wed 22-Jan-14 13:17:07

You are right with getting him to sort it himself. No reason why he can't. Making a sandwich is easy.
Confused about the timing tho as it is lunch now. Does he have lunch today or is it tomorrow?

Shhthebabyisasleep Wed 22-Jan-14 13:18:51

Oh. Different time zone smile

Hoolit Wed 22-Jan-14 13:21:56

If he doesn't have lunch with him at our school they get given a school dinner and we just have to settle up at a later date. Tell school this is what your doing so they don't call to say you've forgotten it!

ShitOnAStick Wed 22-Jan-14 16:32:03

I think getting him to help with his lunch and washing his box out is a good idea op.

titchy Wed 22-Jan-14 16:36:48

Agree make him do his own lunch. Then you are sticking to wht you said - which was that YOU wouldn't be making his lunch.

What was his game? Did it involve something electronic - in which case remove that/change computer password.

The problem with make your own lunch is what if he still refuses? I think you need something you have more control over.

UriGeller Wed 22-Jan-14 16:57:08

A squashed sandwich smeared into a busted banana in a plastic bag. That's why sandwich boxes are important.

Ooh 5 year olds can be infuriating can't they?

You've got to do it though.

UniS Wed 22-Jan-14 19:17:13

Make plain boring small lunch tomorrow, do not give it to child at home, remind them of rules about lunch boxes.
Take small boring lunch to school, give it to child at school.

continue with small boring lunch until they get the idea of what to do with lunch box after school.

UniS Thu 23-Jan-14 17:08:49

OP- what did you do in the end?

and has little darling emptied their school bag promptly today?

TheGreatHunt Thu 23-Jan-14 17:33:59

Blimey. Bit an over reaction for a minor transgression.

How about reminding them in the car - ie have you got your lunch box? Get your lunch box.

Then in the house as soon as through the front door, get your lunch box out etc etc. so remind them every step of the way?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now