Checking on 3 year olds before you go to bed.

(151 Posts)
Bedsheets4knickers Mon 20-Jan-14 20:57:04

In the wake of the tragic case of Mikaeel Kular. Before he was found so many people were saying. "Why did the mother not check on him before she went to bed"
My son is 3 I don't check on him before I go to bed.
Should I be doing so???
It's really knocked me that so many people were so shocked and I've never given it a second thought.
Out daughter is still on a baby monitor she's 1.
I feel like I've neglected him.
Do you all check on your kids before you go to bed.??
What age should I be doing this until??

I check on both mine and they are five and eleven!

NickNacks Mon 20-Jan-14 20:58:32

Same I still check on all mine and they are 10, 7 and 3.

mamicar Mon 20-Jan-14 20:58:45

I check on all mine too 3, 6 and 11 smile poke them too sometimes to see If they are still alive x

99redbafoons Mon 20-Jan-14 20:59:02

Yes, I do. So I can kiss his sweaty little head and tell him I love him. It's for my own pleasure, never thought of it as a safety thing...don't bear yourself up, if you feel differently now in light of recent events then maybe start but everyone's different.

mamicar Mon 20-Jan-14 20:59:16

oh nicknacks we have similar aged dcs

99redbafoons Mon 20-Jan-14 20:59:22

Beat, not bear!

CocktailQueen Mon 20-Jan-14 20:59:34

I check on mine in the eve and before bed, and they are 6 and 10! But yanbu not to check yours if they are well.

BingoWingsBeGone Mon 20-Jan-14 20:59:36

I check ours and they are 7 and 5. Partly habit but also DD1 used to wet the bed fairly regularly but stay asleep so needed to check she wasn't lying in a wet bed.

wheretoyougonow Mon 20-Jan-14 20:59:51

Yes I check on my children before I go to bed. Unfortunately my son was once sick in his sleep so I was very glad I checked.
I just like the peace of mind that everyone is sleeping and safe before I drift off.

Spookey80 Mon 20-Jan-14 21:00:08

Mine are 5 and 3 always check on them before we go to bed, give them a little kiss.

PogoBob Germany Mon 20-Jan-14 21:00:59

I check on DD but more because she kicks her duvet off she if I don't straighten it when I go to bed she wakes up cold at 3am and yells for me.

12mo DS is still in our room.

Never thought about checking on her from the viewpoint of her being missing/escaping but she'd have to go passed us to get out of the office due to the layout.

I don't unless they are ill. Never have done - much too terrified I'd wake them and the habit stuck.
Mine are 10, 9, 5 and 3.

Christ no. She's asleep. I know she's ok I can hear her snoring.

Course I do have back up of a visual monitor too. Modern tech etc....

PogoBob Germany Mon 20-Jan-14 21:02:06

office god I've been working too hard! I meant house!

YANBU to not check on yours though.

FanjoForTheMammaries Mon 20-Jan-14 21:02:18

No. Check if you like to but it's not essential.

He didn't actually leave the house of his own accord anyway sad

Bedsheets4knickers Mon 20-Jan-14 21:02:46

I always worry il wake him up . Although on cold nights I have popped in and made sure he's under is duvet .
Can't believe I've never thought about it.

Bluestocking Mon 20-Jan-14 21:03:04

I always check on DS (who's nine) when I go to bed, and if I wake in the night. It's for me really - I love to see him all relaxed, so different from when he's awake and pinging about talking nineteen to the dozen. I like to smooth his hair off his forehead, give him some sneaky kisses and tell him how much I love him.

everydayaschoolday Mon 20-Jan-14 21:03:27

I check (2 & 5). So, so cute while asleep…..

dilbertina Mon 20-Jan-14 21:04:25

I do check mine still (10,7 & 4), but mostly to turn out lights put back on after "lights out", remove the 30 odd books 7yo has stacked under pillow, check the 10yo is still there under the million soft toys and replace the duvet 4yo has kicked off every night without fail....not because I genuinely fear something awful has happened to them.

missmagnum Mon 20-Jan-14 21:04:28

I check on my 3 year old just because I like watching him sleep and also to recover him up. I don't think there is anything wrong in not checking though.

BrianTheMole Mon 20-Jan-14 21:04:58

Yes I always check, and cover them back up if the covers have come off. I couldn't go to bed without checking on them.

Floralnomad Mon 20-Jan-14 21:05:15

I check on mine if they're in bed before me and they're 21 and 14 , its a rare occurrence that they're in bed before me though .

JingleJoo Mon 20-Jan-14 21:05:22

Always check on mine (7 & 4). Dh does too, although not as religiously as me.

Put my head right next to theirs, check they're breathing (silly I know), kiss them, tell them I love them (and if I'm lucky they'll wake up and smile!!!) and tuck them in.

Never gone a night when I haven't done it, apart from a few nights when I've been away ( and then DH or DM do same!).

TheLostPelvicFloorOfPoosh Mon 20-Jan-14 21:05:27

I check on my DS, but like 99redbafoons I've never thought of it as a safety thing, he just looks so gorgeous all snuggled up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now