Toddler won't eat. So fed up

(27 Posts)
CrispsCrispsCrisps Sun 05-Jan-14 09:53:46

My DS will be 2 years old in a couple of weeks. He's quite tall and used to look healthy with chubby cheeks. In the last few weeks he's just stopped eating. He's had a cold and sore throat so I've resorted to giving him soft foods for the time being.

Aside from the cold he just says no after a few spoonfuls of his dinner. On the other hand you could give him hundreds of yogurts and he will eat them. Some of it is pure fussing and some of it is probably to do with his teeth hurting.

I'm so fed up. He's generally a lovely sweet boy but meal times make the whole day a misery. I'm finding it so hard because he's looking thin and I've noticed his trousers are so loose they fall down. I stuck him on the scales and he's put on 2kg since he was weighed by a HV in April and is on the same centile but I'm not convinced because so many people have noticed how thin he's looking.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can fatten him up healthily? Or how do you deal with a fussy eater? At the moment I'm dreading every morning because I know meal times will be a battle hmm

HomeHypno Sun 05-Jan-14 18:55:14

If your health visitor or GP are concerned they may recommend fortified drinks or milkshakes, if it is not that bad I am sure it will be fine and soon it will hopefully be a distant memory.

I remember an exercise from a SureStart weaning/healthy eating workshop re poor/fussy eating. Everyone was asked to think if they know anyone who hasn't eventually learned to eat (and use knife+fork, drink from cup rather than baby bottle etc) and the conclusion wasthat in general we all learn to eat and drink rather too well for our own good, pretty much regardless what our parents did or how we were raised....!

roweeena Sun 05-Jan-14 19:51:22

He may have ulcers or hand foot & mouth. I've got loads of ulcers following a recent virus and after the first mouthful of food they are really hurting (I don't even want cake!) - don't panic and see if it improves over the next week or so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now