Views on using calcough on baby of 9 months

(44 Posts)
Madethebedx Sun 05-Jan-14 06:04:54

Hi folks, my baby boy is just under 9 months, he's had cough with no fever for few days and dr closed. I am just wondering if anyone has used calcough before and if it helps?

From their website:

What is the correct age limit for VapoRub?

In the UK Vicks VapoRub can be used with children as of the age of 2 years and above. Vicks VapoRub is for external use only. For this apply Vicks VapoRub lightly to the chest and back of your child by rubbing it in gently.

rachyconks Sun 05-Jan-14 12:40:30

I used a veg steamer in the bedroom with olbas oil in. Really helped DD's chesty cough at night. Recommended by my pharmacist.

ShoeWhore Sun 05-Jan-14 12:45:42

My GP also says cough remedies are pretty useless.

For older children/adults GP says hot honey and lemon is as effective. But of course under 1s can't have honey.

Would normal Calpol take the edge off the irritation that's causing the coughing? Might be worth a try, alongside the steam.

Janek Sun 05-Jan-14 13:16:39

I think i've heard you can use ordinary calpol for a cough in little ones...

ParenthoodJourney Sun 05-Jan-14 13:22:32

Ordinary calpol for a cough!? Why? What will that do. I wouldn't use calpol unless absolutely necessary due the ingredients it has in it. Cough medicines do not help and most of them contain sugars, sweeteners and colours. When DS has a dry cold/cough I put a damp towel on the radiator or fill up a bowl of boiling water ( put it out of reach ) and put some karvol drops in it - the steam and moist air really helps. Also if he's eating solids plenty of fruit n veg to build up his immune system. Hope this helps and he feels better soon.

PedlarsSpanner Sun 05-Jan-14 15:48:03

well perhaps I am ascribing adult reactions to a baby, BUT when I have an irritating cough I take simple paracetamol to diminish discomfort, and would not hesitate to do the same for a nine month old baby - with Calpol of course smile

Janek Sun 05-Jan-14 16:24:40

I don't know parenthood, to reduce inflammation with a chesty cough? I doubt it would help a dry one. I didn't recommend it, i said i'd heard you could. I can't remember where from, but possibly a friend was told by a doctor, who then told me.

And if the alternative is calcough, which also contains paracetamol afaik, along with sweeteners etc then calpol is preferable imo. I sometimes give my dds calpol to see if it helps for things on the grounds that it's not very often, if it helps it was the right thing and if it doesn't then no harm is done. I do try not to use sugar-free calpol, if that makes it any better hmm.

thegreylady Sun 05-Jan-14 18:06:16

Teaspoon of honey, squeeze of lemon and warm water very soothing for children [Add whisky if you are over 18]

PedlarsSpanner Sun 05-Jan-14 18:33:29

No honey for the under-ones though!

lola88 Sun 05-Jan-14 18:38:22

DS had honey before one year old the risk is tiny

"Due to high standards of food hygiene in the UK, the chances of getting food-borne botulism from food bought in this country are virtually nil."

with 144 cases between 2000 and 2010 mostly due to heroin use I think you should be fine with one spoonful.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Botulism/Pages/Introduction.aspx

PedlarsSpanner Sun 05-Jan-14 19:47:44

cool, you weighed up the risk for your baby and found it worth taking

[thumbs up]

Interesting reading, though, how that very page you linked to urges parents and caregivers to ''avoid giving honey or corn syrup to babies under the age of 12 months because they have been known to contain bacterial spores.''

yes, the page you linked to says:

However, avoid giving honey or corn syrup to babies under the age of 12 months because they have been known to contain bacterial spores.

lola88 Sun 05-Jan-14 22:02:04

yes that's why I linked for full info we are urged to avoid a lot of things with our babies these days it's good to know the full info behind it hence linking the page. If my child is suffering I would be happy to take a tiny risk to soothe him i'm sure a lot of people would would feel the same.

I would still avoid

www.bbc.co.uk/news/10225536 - 3 cases all with possible links to honey in 2010

PedlarsSpanner Sun 05-Jan-14 22:19:35

me too, ilove

we all have different lines drawn in the sand, don't we?

I was chatting to chums recently, wrt boiling kettle/making cups of tea/from what age; my close relative had a most dreadful accident with making a cup of tea as a child (think many skin grafts, months in hospitals over the years) so as a family we are very VERY averse to children handling kettles/boiling water etc

If you've not had that experience then you would prob not be averse to teaching your children how to, at quite a young age maybe smile

lola88 Sun 05-Jan-14 22:27:16

For 11 cases in 30 years and these 3 recent cases haven't been confirmed really? Going by that lodgic we shouldn't drive as there is a risk involved the list goes on about all the risks we take daily I seriously doubt honey is even in the top 50 risks for children.

It's healthy and safty gone mad IMO

PedlarsSpanner Sun 05-Jan-14 22:30:04

<swishes cloak of invisibility around>

Janek Mon 06-Jan-14 10:08:50

peddlarsspanner thank you for agreeing with me re calpol, it did not go unnoticed wink!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now