DP wants to bottle feed our EBF two week old.

(29 Posts)
gingercat2 Fri 03-Jan-14 04:29:09

He has five kids from previous relationship who were bottle fed. My child from previous relationship was EBF. He says he feels useless and is worried he won't bond with new bub. I'm feeling stuck on what to do.

Eletheomel Sat 04-Jan-14 15:04:07

Do you want to give her a bottle? If not, don't.

The whole 'bonding through feeding' thing is bollocks. I'm EBF-ed number 2 (he's now 7 months and on boob and solids). I ebf-ed number 1 so my DH has never given a bottle however it has had no impact whatsoever on the bond he has with his children. He has always done bathtime for them both, storytime, he changes nappies, burps them, plays with them - he's as involved as anyone could be, not giving a bottle a couple of times a day would not increase his bond and for some men (not yours) I think it is maybe a bit of a cop out (I've given her a bottle therefore I don't need to do anything else...)

As far as I'm concerned if men were meant to give milk to young babies they'd have working boobs (and not just moobs :-D

PenguinsDontEatKale Sat 04-Jan-14 15:49:37

I agree. I think a lot of men who pressure partners to bottle feed want a 'nice' baby job to get them off the hook for other jobs.shock

Lala29 Sat 04-Jan-14 15:49:56

I was expressing after a couple of weeks. Meant that my milk supply was great, as breasts were always emptied fully and I could go to bed early and DH could do the dream feed and do the first half of the night. Worked great for us. Expressing is a faff, but I thought it was great. Obviously electric pump (I had Medela)

ShoeWhore Sat 04-Jan-14 18:23:47

Dh told me he felt like a bit of a spare part when dc1 was tiny. We decided he would make bath time his thing - I was careful to keep right out of it and not offer advice/ tell him what to do etc. it was really lovely and worked really well as being their special time. Was really nice for all of us when he was working too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now