Daughter cut head in Nursery

(60 Posts)
MetMum Mon 09-Dec-13 17:54:35

I am furious my 3yr old little girl has just come home from school with a golf ball size bump on her head with is also cut she tripped over a ball in nursery they didn't ring me to inform me my neighbour (who's Daughter is in the same room we take turns taking or collecting the girls) signed the incident report sheet they didn't give her a copy my Daughter says she fell over the ball them was brought in to have it cleaned then watched a DVD my neighbour was told it just happened moments before she was collected advice for when I go the Nursery tomorrow please

MetMum Mon 09-Dec-13 20:27:22

Thanks for all the rude ignorant replies she had her wound glued and is in hospital for observation with concussion after a sizeure.

And this is supposed to be a place of support.

Sirzy Mon 09-Dec-13 20:29:09

awful that she is in hospital and I hope she is better soon BUT I still don't see what the nursery did wrong.

TurnOffTheTv Mon 09-Dec-13 20:34:11

Bloody hell that was a quick trip to A&E. You only posted 17 mins ago saying you might have to go to the hospital.

TurnOffTheTv Mon 09-Dec-13 20:34:56

Jesus Christ ignore me! Totally wrong time grin

BadgerBumBag Mon 09-Dec-13 20:37:51

Hope dd gets better soon. You need to figure out exactly what you are angry about and ask what their procedure is first. They will have a folder with it in and you can get a copy as far as I am aware.

Your dd is suffering in a way that 99% of children with bumped heads in nursery don't, so this is not something the nursery would have expected and was still an accident

scaevola Mon 09-Dec-13 20:39:22

The nursery did right.

At the time (and at the start of this thread) the poor DC had a large lump and oozing cut - both really common and typical symptoms of glancing blow. The person collecting was (correctly) informed of injury.

Now, some hours after departure from the nursery, ere has been a seizure and suspected concussion. I am so sorry, OP, it must be really terrifying for you - but it doesn't mean that the nursery did anything wrong.

Before the worrying symptoms, you'd have been turned away from A&E without treatment, and told to bring back if anything changed. There were no worrying symptoms in the nursery, and they did the right thing in following minor injury procedure, but telling you (via person collecting) tha ther head been blow to head and to be alert.

tracypenisbeaker Mon 09-Dec-13 20:40:27

So sorry to hear that OP, hope she feels better.

And I hope those condemning you for worrying earlier are eating their words.

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Mon 09-Dec-13 20:44:04

And I hope those condemning you for worrying earlier are eating their words.

I'm not. Actually, no one condemned the OP for worrying because she wasn't - she was angry at the nursery. At no point did she express worry or ask what she should do abut the head injury.

OP I hope your DD is better soon. My three have had their fair share of similar head injuries with no ill effects.

tracypenisbeaker Mon 09-Dec-13 20:44:41

my little brother had an angry bubble on his head when he was a toddler, and when my mum was in bits, the nurse told her to 'stop being so melodramatic, there's nothing wrong with him.'

Turns out he had a fractured skull. Head injuries are serious and should be checked out right away- you never know what the internal damage is.

Pooka Mon 09-Dec-13 20:48:47

It horrible when it happens, but I'm afraid I don't see what the nursery have done wrong.

Scary for you, but what would you have liked them to do differently?

If she tripped within the 15mins - 30mins before the end of the session, what difference would them calling you have made in terms of her treatment? When you posted earlier you were still at home and apart from the egg/cut, she wasn't then displaying other symptoms (otherwise you'd have been at A&E already).

Kids do fall. Sometimes they require treatment. Sometimes they don't. Hope she's better soon.

Dwinhofficoffi Mon 09-Dec-13 20:49:47

I hope you DD is ok and I know its hard when your little one has an accident but I don't see what the nursery did wrong.
I don't think anybody has been rude to you OP.

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 09-Dec-13 20:53:03

Why would we be eating our words?

Even if she had gone straight to a&e they may or may not have glued the wound but they would hae discharged her with a check list of what to look out for.

Symptoms aren't always present straight away and all you can do is watch.

I hope the dd recovers quick but I don't see what nursery did wrong.

tracypenisbeaker Mon 09-Dec-13 20:57:37

Doesntleftoverturkey people were condemning her, saying stuff like 'stop making a drama out of an accident.'

The OP should have been called - she needed to be given the choice of whether to take her DD to A and E right away. Doesn't matter if it is 30 mins before the end of the session or 4 hours. It is not really their call on whether she was fine or not- they are not health professionals- this isn't a scraped knee ffs, this was a head injury. Of course I'm going to get called dramatic but I've been attacked in the street, with no visible bump but was left with vomitting and dizziness 20 mins later. Had to get seen to at hospital.

Sirzy Mon 09-Dec-13 21:00:27

Tracy - if nurserys called parents every time a child bumped their heads they would never be off the phone.

And even if they did phone just before home time what exactlywould it change? Nobody would get there any sooner, the symptoms at the time would be exactly the same - ie showing no signs for concern at that point. They informed the person who picked the child up and recorded it in nursery - they did everything right.

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 09-Dec-13 21:03:05

I don't even get told with my dds school. She comes home with a sticker and a check list.

lilyaldrin Mon 09-Dec-13 21:03:07

Nurseries can't call parents for every bump on the head if there are no other symptoms - obviously if a child loses consciousness, is dizzy or vomits then they would. Just before pick-up it is perfectly normal for a nursery to hand the child over to the person collecting and verbally tell them about the accident.

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Mon 09-Dec-13 21:04:29

tracypenisbeaker where did the OP post any concern about her DDs health? She was being criticised for being angry at the nursery, which is all she has posted about.

Moreisnnogedag Mon 09-Dec-13 21:05:14

You are being dramatic. At the time she had no symptoms and was already home.

DS smacked his head at his CM's and began vomiting 20 mins later. I would have been nightly pissed off if they hadn't called me then. But I hardly expect to be called for everything.

And by the way, a head injury does not need to be seen in A&E all the time. Pretty much everyone gets a HI advice booklet and told to come back if there's a prob.

tracypenisbeaker Mon 09-Dec-13 21:07:35

Meh, sorry if I come across as over-cautious or batty, but the fact the bump was described like a 'golf ball' just reminded me of my brother- it just doesn't sound like a bog-standard injury to me (and it obviously wasn't- if the girl was having a seizure). A bump near that size would have been caused by quite an impact. If the injury happened literally just before pick-up time, I could understand them not phoning. But if it happened longer than that, I don't get why the OP wasn't phoned.

Floggingmolly Mon 09-Dec-13 21:08:54

God, op, your initial post just had your dd coming home with the wound still "oozing blood". Now you're pissed off at posters not being divinely inspired with the information that she's had a seizure and is in hospital for observation.
Two very different scenarios; which obviously elicit very different replies...

Pooka Mon 09-Dec-13 21:09:42

But the op posted at just before 6pm asking what to say at nursery tomorrow.

If the accident happened just before pick up, and is a school nursery (which was suggested in the OP), then the neighbour could have as designated picker-upper called the OP, taken the dd straight to A&E or taken her home. If its a school nursery, then the OP was itself a couple of hours after pick-up. If not, and a nursery with later hours, then the fact that the nursery didn't call the OP is only a problem if the injury happened long before the OP's daughter was released to the neighbour.

The OP seems to think that this is the case on the basis of her dd saying she watched a dvd after the injury. As previous posters have suggested, this might not have been a delay, but have been for 15mins for example between injury and pick up.

Of course the OP can query this with the nursery if she is concerned. But on the face of what the nursery have reported i.e. injury happened not long before they would have expected the OP or responsible adult to collect, in noting the incident and getting neighbour to sign accident book the nursery seems to have followed correct procedure.

I certainly know how horrible it is when dcs are injured. Have had some heart in mouth moments when they've been in my care and also when at school/preschool. It's horrid. But there doesn't necessarily have to be a fault or someone to blame. Accidents happen and of course the OP can clarify with the nursery the timings if she feels they are in dispute.

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Mon 09-Dec-13 21:09:43

I've been attacked in the street, with no visible bump but was left with vomitting and dizziness 20 mins later. Had to get seen to at hospital

Yes, you were seen at hospital because you showed signs of concussion. Not sure how that is relevant.

tracypenisbeaker Mon 09-Dec-13 21:10:31

I guess I see things differently as my brother was hospitalised for ages and because that nurse had said 'Stop being dramatic there's nothing wrong with him' (she was actually struck off for that but that is a whole other story)

audreyandrustygriswold Mon 09-Dec-13 21:10:55

At DDs nursery they always call the parent to inform you there has been a head injury, just so you know. Obviously if they thought they needed to be taken home or to A & E they would tell you that too. I can understand why they do, so you don't get a shock when you turn up and they have a big bump on their head.

So, I can get why you were annoyed they didn't tell you. I would want to know as I may decide to take DD home.

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Mon 09-Dec-13 21:11:46

But that isn't the same scenario at all, Tracy confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now