Giving baby water

(93 Posts)
Bankholidaybaby Thu 05-Dec-13 22:47:34

I've been advised to give my 14-week old son cooled, boiled water, but I'm not sure how much, how often and how to prepare it. Should I just boil our hard tap water in my scale-ridden kettle and put that in a bottle, or would you suggest mineral/distilled/filtered water, a separate kettle etc.?

Thanks for any opinions/information.

Bankholidaybaby Thu 19-Dec-13 20:03:38

I've talked to him about it but he reckons everything anyone says regarding babies is guesswork and that we have no idea what motivates them. He says I can't possibly tell what he wants from his cries and gestures. hmm

Ullapull Tue 17-Dec-13 23:31:10

Sorry, got muddled, I meant the fourth trimester is up to THREE months old.

Ullapull Tue 17-Dec-13 23:30:07

It sounds like you're doing a great job OP, don't be disheartened, well done for following your gut feeling. Your DH really needs to get it into his thick skull that babies so young cannot be manipulative and don't need to be trained! Ask him to read up on the "fourth trimester" stuff ie up to nine months old, babies need cuddles, holding, feeding, love. They aren't playing tricks, they literally don't know they're born!

Bankholidaybaby Tue 17-Dec-13 16:08:08

Thanks to everyone who took the time to comment. He's settled down a lot in the past few days (he hit 14lbs and suddenly decided to STTN!) and I think was going through a week-long growth spurt! He's still on the line for the 91st centile, which is great.

waterrat Sun 08-Dec-13 18:38:00

Sorry meant to say I only weighed him once and didn't bother after that - if you weren't weighing him I bet you wouldn't be worrying

waterrat Sun 08-Dec-13 18:36:19

Op when my son was 14 weeks he was feeding about every 2.5 hours - i only really
Moved to 4 hours between feeds when he started eating food. He was massive - 98th percebtile and i only weighed him I know how horrid it must be to have conflicting advice but 4 hours between feeds seems a very long time to me - please try to listen to your instinct and feed your baby when he seems hungry

Humans evolved to carry their babies close like monkeys all the Time and babies stomachs are specifically designed as small so that they feed frequently until they move onto solids

I don't believe a 14 week old can overt eat milk they know what they need - it's such a short time in their life that they are reliant on milk - it can be easy to over think it - but you around like a great mum who is Doing a brilliant job

Bunbaker Sun 08-Dec-13 15:24:27

"I stand by what i said, it is nonsense to call a baby fat, you cant over feed them by using a sensible approach"

That's true, but not everyone uses a sensible approach.

Teaandflapjacks Sun 08-Dec-13 14:36:49

wrong thing! not wrong this

Teaandflapjacks Sun 08-Dec-13 14:36:30

I stand by what i said, it is nonsense to call a baby fat, you cant over feed them by using a sensible approach and checking others reasons why upset and then looking at food - and working on a rough 3-4 hour feeding basis. Also when you learn your babies cries you can figure out what they want fairly easily (her nappy change cry is different to a stomac h ache cry etc). I cant comment on shovelling formula into a baby as I have not met anyone who would do that shock I have seen some pretty chunky breast fed babies too, some babies are just like that. You only need to look at this after the walking into toddler phase.

However it is true sometimes if they have tummy pain they cant distinguish between the two and try to feed to relieve the pain. The docs can give you better stuff for reflux if that is the issue. Small question but I don't think you need to worry about them going for 6 hours without food - mine regularly goes for 11 - 12 hours overnight now with no food. I would not wake her to give her anything. Does he know night/day (as in are you getting the longer stretches at night?).

I know it seems a lot of time to spend like you are doing - I spend a lot of time cuddling mine and playing together - I pretty much give my day over to her and get on with jobs here and there when she naps. But in a few months they amuse themselves better - like you, I can get 20 mins now on the playmat, or in her vibrating chair bouncer thing. Its an obvious point have you tried getting out to groups and at least having a coffee with other mums? Mine gets distracted by the other babies and it tend to tire her out for me later on.

I think you are doing amazingly well - the crying and rooting for food when you worry you are doing the wrong this can be soul destroying.

ScaredToBeHonest Sun 08-Dec-13 11:30:14

Like someone else has said, sounds like he could be feeding all the time to ease the pain of reflux. It's all very well the GP saying he'll grow out of it but your DS is in pain, you're having a difficult time and the docs are moaning at you for feeding him too much. They need to do something about it rather than fob you off with "he'll grow out of it."

Good luck op

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Sat 07-Dec-13 18:43:01

You are doing fantastic!
big sleeps with out you right beside him will come, it won't be forever. But does feel like it.
Any baby with reflux I've met, does tend to be very cuddly.
I would totally try a bean bag with a top that smells of you in it as he won't be totally flat, and its quite snugly. They aren't that expensive and has been a life saver for me. I'm slightly concerned about what to do when he grows out of it.

Bankholidaybaby Sat 07-Dec-13 18:24:08

Oh, and we're on Mam anti colic bottles having previously tried Dr Brown, Avent and Nuk.

Bankholidaybaby Sat 07-Dec-13 18:22:47

I'll hold off on the water and I'll talk to the doctors about the reflux on Monday. They agree he has it but keep promising me he'll grow out of it. He's always eaten a lot but he seems to have gone a bit crazy in the last day - possibly because he's having a growth spurt, possibly because I changed to a size 2 teat, or maybe in reaction to me trying to cut him back the few days beforehand?

I pretty much hold or wear him 24 hours a day, apart from some nights when I manage to have him in his basket, me on the floor on a duvet and my hand ready to lay on his tummy if he's sad, and the odd 15 mins when he's happy to play in his chair in the bathroom whilst I have a shower and dress etc. (he won't settle asleep long enough for me to wait until then).

Today, he had the mega milk and water blowout at 8, then went to sleep at 9.30. I lay down with him and had my arm under his head but wasn't holding him. Usually I will disturb him after 3 or 4 hours to make sure he gets milk, but today I decided to see what happened whilst not letting him go more than six hours without food. At 1.30pm I really needed my arm back so I eased it out but he woke and demanded to be fed. After that feed, he went to sleep straight away, so this time I lay next to him without my arm underneath. At 5pm I gently shifted my position and he woke wanting food. He had a quick play just now but is currently snuggled with his head in the crook of my arm and a dummy, going to sleep again. Maybe he wants cuddles and to be near me so much that it overrides his need for food? From what I've read, babies with reflux problems are often very cuddly.

ZuleikaD Sat 07-Dec-13 15:42:29

Bun is right. It's true you can't overfeed a breastfed baby, but you really can with formula - a friend of mine had a terribly obese baby because she was shovelling formula in. This baby had fat in places you really don't see fat on babies - not just thighs and chin but weird, wobbling pads above its shoulder blades. She had to dial it back before it became a serious problem.

This is only in passing, because nothing you've said indicates otherwise, but it's important to remember that babies need to be cuddled a lot more than they need to be fed - some babies end up eating more than they should because when they're eating is the only time they're held. It sets up an association between food and love. You could try him in a sling which might help with the reflux too.

Bunbaker Sat 07-Dec-13 13:07:49

"Totally agree with poster above who says there's no such thing as a fat baby."

Erm, there is. In the nearest town, which has a large obese population, there are lots of fat babies. Not just chubby and cuddly, but hideously fat.

ShreddedHoops Sat 07-Dec-13 11:54:57

If you give water, please don't give a full bottle, only sips - an ounce or so at a time. It's really not good for their bodies to process lots of water at once, upsets their salt balance or summat, can't remember exactly what but it's the same reason you mustn't ever change the ratio of water to powder when making up formula.

But if it was me I'd just keep giving milk. Totally agree with poster above who says there's no such thing as a fat baby. It really does fall off them once they're weaned and crawling / walking.

JRmumma Sat 07-Dec-13 11:42:38

Sounds like reflux to me, eating to soothe the pain. Ask to see a paediatrician as he may benefit from other meds not just Gaviscon. My LO has reflux and he doesn't have Gaviscon as it makes him constipated, but he is on ranitidine and domperidone which has stopped the screaming after bottles.

aptamil even does an anti-reflux formula that is thickened to help it stay down. Could that be an option for you?

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Sat 07-Dec-13 11:03:33

just remembered my friend baby who is ff, at this age fed every 2 hrs morning and night! Bad reflux.
He's nearly 6 months now and sleeps pretty well and feeds every 3/4 hrs. She has done early weaning thou.

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Sat 07-Dec-13 10:59:30

As a guess the milk is soothing the heartburn rather than just being starving. So maybe try different stuff for reflux. I only know babies that were breast fed that had reflux and they just fed constantly at this age.
I would just feed him when he wants it and not bother with water as that does seem like loads.
What bottles are you using?

nancerama Sat 07-Dec-13 09:34:14

My breastfed DS was in 3-6 month clothes by 8 weeks. He's now 2 1/2 and still in 18-24 month clothes. A big baby does not necessarily a huge toddler make.

I have no clue how much he ate - if in doubt boob out was my motto. I was reprimanded a few times by "professionals" for breastfeeding because I couldn't tell them exactly how much was going in. Having read your thread, I'm glad I couldn't tell them.

If the boy is hungry, feed him. You're doing great.

The first 3 or 4 months are tough. Babies change so much, there is very little pattern or predictability, and I'm amazed that doctors, midwives and health visitors think there is a pattern to aim for.

90mls is an awful lot of water. At that age I would limit to 1-2oz once or twice a day. Too much water is not good for babies

Bankholidaybaby Sat 07-Dec-13 09:19:03

This morning, I gave him 180ml of a 230ml bottle of aptamil with gaviscon, then washed and changed nappy. He was still fidgeting for more, so I tried the water - he took all 90ml from the bottle, then cried and had another 10-20 (it's hard to tell on these bottles) of milk. Now he's got a dummy but doesn't seem satisfied.

He doesn't appear to have regurgitated any of what he had last night.

If this is a growth spurt, will he come out of it always wanting over 200ml or will it settle at a lower amount until the next one? If it's not a growth spurt, am I just stretching his tummy by giving all this milk and water?

maybe gaviscon is not very effective for him. There are other meds that can be used that may help of it is reflux.

You arent supposed to add extra water to formula so if you do give water give it separately.

BarberryRicePud Sat 07-Dec-13 06:45:34

Just add some cooled boiled water to the bottle if it's worrying you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now