How to cope with the screaming

(26 Posts)
DreamingOfTheMaldives Mon 25-Nov-13 21:27:56

When DS (3 months) was born, he came out screaming his head off. Since then he has been exactly the same every time he gets upset. He has a real temper and goes from happy smiley baby to screaming blue murder within a second (and can go back to smiley just as quickly sometimes.)

I can sometimes leave DS on a play gym or in his bouncy chair for a few minutes but the majority of time he starts crying if I don't bounce the chair for him (even if it is on vibrate.)

If we are due to go out somewhere during the week, I have to put him down while I get our things together, sort the dog out etc. 9 times out of 10 this involves DS starting to cry which very quickly becomes him screaming blue murder.

I hate having to do it, as he is so distressed. I get so stressed and wound up by his screaming and more often than not end up in tears by the time I leave the house. I know that sounds pathetic but it really isn't just a bit of crying from DS, it is red in the face screaming!

The only way to stop the screaming is for me to pick him up and cuddle him but then he starts again as soon as I put him back down. If I don't leave him to cry then we would never get to go out of the house.

I feel such a crap Mum leaving him to scream and it really upsets me but I don't know what else I can do, other than not go out anywhere.

rhubarb82 Tue 03-Dec-13 21:45:51

I'm so glad I've found this thread. Long time lurker but first time poster on MN...

My 3 month old DD is the same. She just screams her head off at me for no apparent reason. Sometimes she can be lovely, cooing and smiling, then 5 seconds later produce floods of tears. She's been like it since about 2 weeks old. One thing I have noticed is that she fights going to sleep in the day time, so I have to force naps (usually with the buggy). Sometimes a good nap gives us a couple of hours without crying - though not always! I think she is v interested in the world around her and so keen to get active, so I'm really hoping that she will improve as she gets more mobile. As another poster mentioned, I've been told it's a sign of intelligence. I hope so!

Anyway, not much help to offer here but just to say you're not alone and we will get through this! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now