What age were you happy for your DC to play in their bedroom unsupervised?

(22 Posts)
IcouldstillbeJoseph Wed 20-Nov-13 15:30:30

Just that really. DS is almost 3 and I'm just sort if 'trusting him' up there alone now for 10 mins or so.
But mainly cos I have a 9mo old who i need to attend to aswell....

lollipoppi Wed 20-Nov-13 16:32:31

Ds1 is just 3 an he is happy to play upstairs in his room whilst I am downstairs with 9mo DD, as long as it's safe, like cleaning products in bathroom away and your bedroom door closed then I wouldn't be worried

Oblomov Wed 20-Nov-13 16:45:16

Why only 10 minutes? Have you made the room safe? What do you think he would do/ what harm would he come to/ what damage to you think he would do, if you left him for longer?

My two have played alone, for long periods, from an early age.

The worst we've had was: some crayon scribbling on the wall = we have white walls, and whilst far from impressed, they came off with a decorators wipe.
Discovery of innumerable chocolate sweetie wrappers. Likewise, whilst not impressed, hardly crime of the century.

DeathMetalMum Wed 20-Nov-13 17:15:26

I was going to post this! Dd is 3 in feb and I have also started letting her more recently though shes not that keen tbh. My main concern is the stairs ours are steep and we lived in a flat until she was two so can still be wobbly.

matana Thu 21-Nov-13 08:16:33

Ds is just 3 and I leave him unattended a fair bit but check regularly. I won't let him in his room with his cousin unattended though as they're a nightmare together and wreck the place.

mumofboyo Thu 21-Nov-13 08:31:37

Ds is 2.7 and has played in his bedroom for a while now. He asks to go up there because he has his toy box and big car. I can hear him because the dining room is directly below. He has a gate across his door. He normally only stays up there ten mins or so but sometimes chooses to stay for up to half an hour.

newmum001 Thu 21-Nov-13 08:38:30

My dd was 3 in September and she has played alone in her room for a while now. I say play, she mostly just makes a mess or pretends to read to her dolls or put them to bed etc. Ours is only a small house though and I can hear her from the rooms downstairs. I do check regularly to make sure she's not up to anything she shouldn't be. Tbh I enjoy having 10 minutes to myself to have a coffee while she plays in her room.

absentmindeddooooodles Thu 21-Nov-13 08:48:46

My ds is 2.8. But really not good on the staors. We have a gate at the top amd bottom....but not on his bedroom as he comes in with us in the night. ( the landing is non existent so no room to put one on and leave it open.

I do sometimes walk up the stairs with him and shut the gate at the top behind him. Hes got no problem opening doors etc so have to make sure everuthing in my bedroom is safe.

Hes generally pretty good. Although is like bloody spiderman when it comes to climbing so im always finding him in odd places.

If he was better on the stairs would be fine with him playing up there and just xhecking on him every so often.

ZuleikaD Thu 21-Nov-13 10:25:47

Blimey - my lot have played unattended in rooms since they were about 6 months old!

hardboiledpossum Thu 21-Nov-13 10:36:33

since they were babies. I can't believe people wouldn't.

From as soon as I felt confident they could manage the stairs (or at least wouldn't attempt to come down them without help from me). We never managed to find stair gates that would fit our stairs due to a bizarre combination of how they start, height of wall at the bottom of the stairs, wooden section at the top and the handrail.

It wasn't until over three with DS (mischief seemed to follow him around hmm) but DD was a lot younger as she wanted to go off and play with DS, so probably just under two for her.

absentmindeddooooodles Thu 21-Nov-13 10:45:41

Zuleika....I leave ds unattwnded in rooms downstairs -- does not always end well......see current climbing thread-- but its only the stairs I have an issue with.

Hardboiled....I think some kids are better at getting into mischief than others....I know that if id left ds upstairs at a yoing age it would have been a disaster. If we lived in a bingalow it would be a differwnt story! smile

hardboiledpossum Thu 21-Nov-13 11:17:51

I have never lived in a big house so I guess that makes a difference.

bolderdash Thu 21-Nov-13 12:33:10

At 3 on his own I'd be fine with it if the bedroom is safe. But with friends I learnt the hard way as mine got hurt, that no, don't leave them unattended where you can't see them.

PenguinsDontEatPancakes Thu 21-Nov-13 12:35:36

DD1 from about 3. DD2 from about 2 with her sister. I still have the baby monitor hooked up so that I can hear and adjudicate on fights grin

hettienne Thu 21-Nov-13 12:38:04

From about 2 during the day, as he didn't really go upstairs alone before then. However from 18 months he was in a bed with a stairgate on the door so was unsupervised in his room at bedtime and once he woke up.

At 3 he doesn't have a gate on his room anymore and will play in there for up to an hour in the morning before coming to wake me.

MiaowTheCat Thu 21-Nov-13 12:59:14

Don't really have masses of toys up there (I've put a few of the annoying battery operated ones there - mainly so I can hear if she gets out of bed on a morning and starts playing and I know she's awake as my brain gets assaulted by the fucking ABC song) so minimal point really - with two of them sharing a room play space up there is limited so I'm having to do the bedroom is for sleeping, living room is buried under a mountain of plastic shrapnel routine.

absentmindeddooooodles Thu 21-Nov-13 13:22:44

Hard boiled....my house is stupidly tiny....ds would still find a way to cause some kind of trouble if I left hom up there for more than 5 mins. grin

CremeEggThief Thu 21-Nov-13 13:32:04

From age 1. Had a gate on the door until he was about 3.5 though.

rrreow Thu 21-Nov-13 15:44:02

From the age they are happy to be alone for a bit and don't want my constant presence. For DS1 that was about 2yo. DS2 (5.5mo) is OK for about 10 minutes but that might change once separation anxiety hits.

princesspants Thu 21-Nov-13 18:58:31

My first - around 3
My 2nd - around 18 months
My third - 12 months!! Ok, I don't leave him for a long time but his big brother and sister shout me if he is surfing on furniture grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now