I think I've being a bit pathetic over this. 7yo DS is getting lots of attention from girls and I'm not sure what to say to him.

(11 Posts)
claraschu Fri 22-Nov-13 04:45:09

These are not 'crushes" or "girlfriends". Notworking- little kids like older kids who are nice and fun, nothing to do with gender. Meglet, I don't think you should see this as girls "giving attention". They are just being friendly/annoying; he is a fad at the moment. Don't project teenage emotions on to 7 year olds (or 20 month olds), The children hear and feel you doing it and it makes them fulfil your expectations.

If the girls are being a pain, discuss it with the teacher.

Thisisnotworking Fri 22-Nov-13 04:06:23

My DD is 20mths (!) and has a crush on one of DS's school friends. They are 4. The mum has observed DD running up to crush, hugging and smiling at him which is cute. She thinks so too but sometimes crush does get annoyed though and I tell DD no and remove her. Makes me wonder what she will do to crush when she's 7 shock

MyBaby1day Fri 22-Nov-13 01:39:19

By gum they're young, after 12 maybe but 7 shock. It will probably simmer down, he's just a baby!.

Meglet Tue 19-Nov-13 08:04:31

Thanks all. I've mentioned it to DS's teacher now. He had his most enthusiastic little friend hanging off him after school yesterday and he couldn't get away. He was very good natured about it but it's not fair on him having to put up with it.

My DS was a bit like this at 7...but I think it had more to do with him hating football than being a handsome chap (which of course he is!)

MrsNormanBates Mon 18-Nov-13 13:17:48

Maybe he's just a popular kid? Nothing to do with being a heart throb perhaps?

mercibucket Mon 18-Nov-13 10:17:15

thats odd behaviour by the girls tbh, well it wouldnt happen at our school anyway, thats for sure.

Meglet Mon 18-Nov-13 10:12:28

yup. He's not bothered with girls, but he seems to be turning into a heart throb confused. It's weird. I might give his teacher the heads up actually, I don't want DS getting ratty with anyone over it and getting into trouble.

I daresay he'll be thrilled when he's 15. It just doesn't work when he's 7. <<sigh>>

At 7 really? Ds is nearly 7 and I dont think he really knows what girls are yet smile other than his sister is one

Meglet Mon 18-Nov-13 10:05:48

grrrr, should be I'm in thread title.

Meglet Mon 18-Nov-13 10:04:59

I know there are a lot worse things in life but I'm not sure how to deal with this. Boys never paid attention to me so the school girlfriend / boyfriend thing is alien to me. I might be over worrying TBH. Feel free to tell me to get a grip!

7yo DS is turning into a handsome little chap and getting attention from the girls. I've even had other parents say their daughter adores my DS. Which is great because at least it means he's well behaved at school unlike at home-. But DS is getting a bit naffed off with girls pestering him and sometimes trying to grab him (he's taller than then). I'm trying to defuse it by telling him that they like him because he's sweet and if they pester him too much he needs to tell a teacher or lunchtime supervisor (I might also speak to his teacher actually). He just gives me a hmm face.

Part of me thinks that I wouldn't find it acceptable for boys to pester DD so I shouldn't overlook it just because it's DS getting the attention.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now