Could you please add to my list of must-haves for my yet-to-be born DC?

(153 Posts)
1charlie1 Sat 16-Nov-13 19:50:17

Following on from my 'best vests for newborns' thread, I would so appreciate your ideas of what DH and I need to add to our current purchases for our DC (due in April, but will be a Winter baby, because we'll be in Oz by then. And in Melbourne, so it's chilly. Not as chilly as Winter here, but pretty darn cold all the same.)

We currently have:

2 x 1-2 month old popper long-sleeved vests

2 x 2-4 month old popper long-sleeved vests. I know this isn't enough vests, but have no idea of the amount needed for each age group, so stopped there until I'd sought advice from Mumsnet!

2 x slings (Kangas)

1 x Ergo baby carrier with newborn insert

12 x packets Waterwipes [they were £2.25 each from NCT, and are $7.58 from the only supermarket chain in Oz which sells them - so expensive in Oz! How long does a packet last, in general? Debating whether to get loads more to put in our shipping container...but again, not sure how many we need until the baby can go on to regular baby wipes?]

That's it so far! I guess we'll need a change mat, and a car seat (will be bought in Oz, as UK car seats are illegal to fit in Australian vehicles.) Going to try to be pram free, and see how that goes. But I have no idea the amount of basics we need, or how long babies take to grow out of things. I want to buy as much as possible in the UK, because Oz is great if you're earning dollars, but pretty dire if you're spending pounds, which we will be for at least a while. Any suggestions much appreciated!

RandomMess Sat 16-Nov-13 20:55:06

I also found vests that didn't popper up much better too - quicker nappy changes, again perhaps more relevant when they are older!

Amount of washing and whether you need muslins is dependent on wether they posset or puke or lot. DD1 didn't at all, and even the others not particular whereas other dc got through volumes of stuff each day.

notso Sat 16-Nov-13 20:55:57

A baby star wrap can't link on my IPad but google it. They are incredibly cute but also cosy, and much easier to get on and off than snow suits.

You need maternity towels. You might not need breast pads. I never did.

If you need to bottle feed you need clean bottles, not sterile ones. So you don't need a steriliser.

Breast pumps are okay but hand expressing is easy enough after a bit of practise.

Baby can sleep anywhere pretty much. Wash him/her in the sink.

1charlie1 Sat 16-Nov-13 20:57:31

Hooded towel has just gone on the list, thanks NotCitrus.

Not much space to dry clothes outside for the winter months anyway. But bizarrely, clothes dryers are far more widely used in Oz than I've found them to be here, despite our better weather.

I am very torn about washable nappies. I was a bit turned off them because on a thread I read a while ago many people were saying that babies who use them have a 'smell', which I didn't like. But they appeal to me very much on a 'less waste' level (hence why I'm doing this thread - I only want to buy what we will really use, and not be swamped by a pile of useless marketing tat.)

notso Sat 16-Nov-13 20:57:45

Some kind of seat, either a bouncy chair or a swing is also useful.

Oz is hot. We took our children as babies and indoors they often just wore a nappy. Dressed them to go out though. We hired a baby bouncer because sometimes it was cooler to out them down than hold them in the heat.

GimmeDaBoobehz Sat 16-Nov-13 21:01:40

We have so many Muslims they are coming out of our ears, even now.

It's hard to know how many newborn size to get, as it does often depend on how big your baby is. DD was only in them for a month, so 4 seemed enough. I got 8 0-3 months and the same onwards from 3-6 then 6-9 and now just putting on 9-12 months (long and thick).

Are you going pram free completely?

Maybe I have missed it but where will DC be sleeping (cot, cosleeping etc)?

Breast pads are very valuable. I also got breast shells which collect the excess breast milk, but these aren't necessary.

Nappies are very important. All this stuff is as not sure about over there, but here you need to bring all your stuff into the hospital. The hospital I had DD in was actually really, really good but not all of them are that helpful.

I'd also get some formula as back up just in case DC doesn't take to the breast or if there is difficulty feeding a breastpump to get your flow working/to give the breastmilk.

It's difficult to know it's always afterwards you realise what you needed at the time.

1charlie1 Sat 16-Nov-13 21:03:21

Tondelayo, thank you for the Freecycle tip. Great to know.

Starlight, I wish we could afford to wait! But stuff in Oz is expensive, and the UK is so, so cheap in comparison. Things like our cot (we're getting an Amby hammock) are the same, but clothes and general bits and pieces are much cheaper here - unbelievably so. We'll be on a strict budget while we set up home and find work, so it makes sense to do this now.

With regard to the swing, I fancy a jumperoo. But how old does the baby need to be before it can use it??

NearTheWindmill Sat 16-Nov-13 21:07:27

two dozen M&D vests up to three months. two dozen M&S babygros up to three months. You don't need much else on the clothing front except for a few cardigans.

A couple of small blankets for swaddling, hugging and loving. A small soft toy.

A pram, a cot, some bedding, a changing table, a bouncy seat, a car seat, some emergency bottles if b/f doesn't work (hope it does). A top and tail bowl, some allergy free wipes and three times as many maternity pads as you think you will need.

Jolly good nursing bras and love in spades.

Good luck OP.

PS: and loads of cotton bibs (not with plastic backig) to soak up dribble, breast milk and little possets to save washing a babygro every time.

MrsDeVere Sat 16-Nov-13 21:08:19

Re your question about wipes, I am almost evangelical about these

reusable wipes

I didn't discover them till DC5 and I wish I had found them so much earlier! They are fantastic and can deal with even the most explosive of nappies.

1charlie1 Sat 16-Nov-13 21:08:25

Thanks for that Gimme. I am a bit dubious about newborn sizes, as DH and his DB were huge, and DB's DD born this year went straight into 3-6 months!! But if I get mostly second hand, I'm willing to take the risk, rather than not buy anything until the baby arrives, then have to spend $$$$ in Oz

I want to try co-sleeping, but we're also getting the Amby baby hammock for naps, hanging out and maybe other night sleeping, depending on the baby really.

We want to be completely pram free. We've bought an Ergo carrier, and slings.

RandomMess Sat 16-Nov-13 21:09:18

Actually I found the smell of wee in a disposable far far worse than in a washable. My dds wore a disposable overnight once they were sleeping through 7-7 and the smell used to make me heave in the mornings - LOL.

I found cloth nappies far better for explosive newborn poo explosion containment than disposables.

RandomMess Sat 16-Nov-13 21:10:41

I found bandana bibs great for dribble etc.

I had huge babies and still found 0-3 months very useful as newborns tend to be skinny for a while even if tall.

1charlie1 Sat 16-Nov-13 21:14:32

Thanks NearTheWindmill, I can't believe I didn't have bibs on my list already. Can I ask why not with plastic backing?

MrsDeVere, that's the second link to that site on this thread, so I'll have a good look at them. Thank you.

1charlie1 Sat 16-Nov-13 21:20:03

Thanks Random. I guess I find the logistics of disposables a bit overwhelming for some reason, despite the fact that I'm a bit of a hippy and would like to try some elimination communication with my baby - which works better with cloth, as the baby is far more aware of wetness and sensation. But I have some time to investigate, so I'll do some research.

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Sat 16-Nov-13 21:20:36

For you
Breast pads
Nipple cream
Witch hazel gel ( for putting on maternity pads)
Arnica capsules
Big pants
Long vest tops

For baby
Bean bag (best thing I bought!)
Sock ons (2nd best thing I bought)
Muslins
Cotton buds (to get bogeys out)
Sudocream
Hooded towels
Nail scissors
Gro bags x2
Cellular blankets

Can't think of anything else 4 months has gone so fast with ds.

NearTheWindmill Sat 16-Nov-13 21:21:19

Because they end up ponging and the plastic backs don't survive 60 degree washes or even at 40 split and look and feel skanky. And when the weather's good you wouldn't want them on a topless hot baby because they will scratch. For little breaks and going out, Boots used to do marvellous disposable bibs smile

SavoyCabbage Sat 16-Nov-13 21:22:04

Bonds do baby nightdresses. You can get them in BigW.

I would definitely get a snowsuit. Not necessarily a waterproof one but a warm one for sure. My dc wore coats to school last week and it's nearly summer.

SmallBee Sat 16-Nov-13 21:23:39

I have a five week old & when it comes to clothing the best bit of advice I can give is get as many of your sleep suits as you can to come with built in scratch mitts. DD will pop off scratch mitts in seconds but the built in ones work. Mothercare do multi packs of sleep suits & they have the scratch mitts built in as standard.

1charlie1 Sat 16-Nov-13 21:28:31

The sock ons are genius! I'm always finding tiny socks in the street...

Thanks, NearTheWindmiss, that makes sense. And I'll check out Boots and grab some disposables too.

1charlie1 Sat 16-Nov-13 21:33:34

Hi Savoy. I find Bonds really expensive. John Lewis is a pretty upmarket store in the UK, compared to BigW (where I used to work in high school!), and JL babygowns are only £8 each. Do you know how much the Bonds ones are?
Thanks for the tip about the warm suit. I was a bit tempted to not get one, but you've reminded me how cold Melbourne can get...

1charlie1 Sat 16-Nov-13 21:35:33

Thanks SmallBee, you've echoed a few earlier posters, so I now have 'inbuilt mitts' as a prerequisite for my any sleepsuits I buy.

1charlie1 Sat 16-Nov-13 21:59:43

Starlight, thanks so much for the maternity towels tip. I was just re-reading the thread again and saw your post. I would have likely used sanitary pads, but looking online I see these are plastic based and not great for post-childbirth.
Thank you for the bottle sterilising point too.

BikeRunSki Sat 16-Nov-13 22:04:12

Next sleep suits have built in scratch mitts, or at least they did 2 years ago. Probably still, but i haven't bought any for a while.

nosleeptilever Sat 16-Nov-13 22:25:45

we bought bags of secondhand clothes for our ds on gumtree. One haul was full of really great quality outfits, babygros, vests etc worth 100s which we got for £20. Check them out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now