Formula and cows milk

(7 Posts)
wafflelover Sun 10-Nov-13 17:02:11

When do you stop formula and starts cows milk? And why is there formula for 3-4 year olds?

SomethingAboutNothing Sun 10-Nov-13 17:49:36

Guidelines are whole cows milk from 12 months.

The formula companies like to make you believe their follow on formulas are better for your DC than cows milk so sell overpriced formula filled with vitamins that your DC will probably just wee out, IMHO.

Or your DC is like my DS and point blank refuses cows milk hmm forcing you to spend a fortune on bloody formula.

wafflelover Mon 11-Nov-13 08:39:29

I kind of thought that but I wanted to check. My ds doesn't really like cows milk either so il probably have to keep buying formula.

Another thing is that it says 2 beakers on the tub but my ds still drinks a bit more than 2 some days but my dh is obsessed with this and says 'no, it says 2 beakers so that's all he should have'. Is he right?

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 11-Nov-13 08:43:41

Any milk marketed over a year is a gimmick. They do not need beaker after beaker of this stuff.

Dd1 went into cows milk at 13 months

Dd2 went into soya at 14 months

Both only had one cup a day in the evening. The rest of the calcium etc came from food.

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 11-Nov-13 08:46:41

I have to also say that the instructions of these things worried me. But I don't have these gannet children who drink copious amounts and still eat. I think you have to go by your child. However they ARE NOT a replacement for food , and I didn't think they should be saying that 2 cups a day covers all your child needs crap.

they only need around 300mls of full fat cows milk from age 1 so 2 cups is about right. If you give too much milk it can curb the appetite for proper food and thats where the majority of nutrition should come from after 1 year (food, not milk)

wafflelover Mon 11-Nov-13 10:02:26

Well he's eating 3 meals a day and still drinking more than 1-2 beakers of milk. So it's not that he's having to much milk and not enough food. He's not overweight so I'm not gonna cut down the milk just cause the tub says that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now