Getting baby to sleep without milk

(13 Posts)
Clca Wed 06-Nov-13 09:28:07

I can't get my 10 week old baby to sleep without milk. I say milk... Its not that he's hungry as he only takes a few sips before nodding off.

I've tried rocking him to sleep, walking him up and down but nothing seems to work!

Any advice to break this habit would be greatly appreciated

Gerty1002 Wed 06-Nov-13 11:15:21

Slightly controversial suggestion perhaps, but have you tried a dummy if he's just suckling for comfort? Are you ff or bf? I never wanted a dummy for my LO but he won't nap in the day without one as otherwise he just sucks his hands and not out of hunger.

mumofboyo Wed 06-Nov-13 16:05:48

I'd 2nd the dummy suggestion. We tried one (a few types until we found one that dd would take) and she used that to help her settle.

NewJewels Wed 06-Nov-13 16:27:58

This may be unhelpful but have you considered if this habit really needs breaking in a 10wk old?

Feeding to sleep is completely normal and not in anyway unhealthy in a baby.

And if you think about it do you not ever have a warm drink/sip of water before bed?

Shente Wed 06-Nov-13 16:32:03

I second NewJewels, my 14mo still has milk before she sleeps, I may have missed something which says this is a bad idea but she is perfectly happy and it hasn't occurred to me to stop her.

trilbydoll Wed 06-Nov-13 17:58:27

I would love DD to feed to sleep - she is only 6 months and already the rocking has crippled both me and DH! Just consider what the alternatives are before you make any changes.

Having said that, we are making progress with the dummy + Ewan the dream sheep so that might be worth trying.

ZuleikaD Wed 06-Nov-13 18:32:16

Keep feeding to sleep! It's nature's way of getting babies to sleep easily and it's brilliant.

Clca Wed 06-Nov-13 19:43:21

Thank you all.

I'd read in a book (no idea which!) that I should teach ds to not be reliant on milk for sleeping.... However as you say, there's no real harm in it so I think I'll leave it for now!

Bloody hell, he is only 10weeks!! My DD had milk before bed till she was at least a year old.

Sod the books

LamaDrama Wed 06-Nov-13 19:50:07

I still BF my 6 month old to sleep, & that 6 months has gone so quickly sad

Teaandflapjacks Wed 06-Nov-13 20:01:32

What smiles said - why not feed to sleep? they are simply doing what comes naturally - stocking up for the sleeping period. I also am a HUGE fan of dummies - and like my dentist pointed out later you can remove said dummy - you cannot remove a thumb...

CatsRule Wed 06-Nov-13 22:34:57

I'm still bf my 20 month old to sleep! My dh can get him to sleep if I'm not there without any milk but if I'm there he won't even contemplate sleeping until he has used me as a human dummy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now