Recurring red spots in the nappy area

(12 Posts)
mammatoaboy Sun 03-Nov-13 18:31:14

Please help, this is really stressing me out!!

My DS seems to have recurring 'nappy rash', except it doesn't present like normal nappy rash. It is lots of red pimples in the genital area. Last time he had them a few were even scattered to his belly button. I took him to the walk-in last time where the nurse examined him and said it was just normal nappy rash. I took him to the dr the next day who said it was probably nappy rash but could be thrush and prescribed cream which cleared it up.

Now, less than 2 weeks after it fully cleared up, the spots have come back sad He also has a really red, raised pimple on the side of his penis in the same place as before, as well as a lone large, round raised red pimple on his scrotum. I'm really scared. I'm changing him constantly and putting on sudocrem but it's doing nothing. I'm taking him back to the drs tomorrow, just wondered if anyone has any experience of this? xx

SteamWisher Sun 03-Nov-13 18:42:44

Mine had something similar although was always in the same place - they were allergic to the nappies. So I'd change nappies and see if that helps?

Also what nappies do you use? If cloth ones and it is thrush then you need to boil them to get the fungus out.

noblegiraffe Sun 03-Nov-13 18:47:12

My DD had the same. Sudocrem is useless if they actually have nappy rash, Metanium is the business and cleared it up in a day or two.

AnyaKnowIt Sun 03-Nov-13 18:48:49

Try changing the nappies and wipes. Dd had the same

precious2 Mon 04-Nov-13 11:21:55

My son is the exsact same but I put sudocream on at every nappy change and its no help at all metanium is the best cream for this

oscarwilde Tue 05-Nov-13 16:07:10

Metanium cream and use cotton wool and water for a bit. If it's not gone or looks worse within 3 days of this, go back to the doctor.

oscarwilde Tue 05-Nov-13 16:07:53

How old is he? If being weaned, lay off tomato based foods and any citrus for a few days.

Aquariusgirl86 Tue 05-Nov-13 16:25:09

My dd had this and was allergic to some of the chemicals used in nappies, some brands were worse than others, switched to cloth and she never gets it now

I'd say thrush and you need to use the cream for longer. I think the pack says something like a week after symptoms disappear. we finally did that after loads of recurring rash and dd hasn't had it back in 9 months.

delasi Tue 05-Nov-13 23:05:28

Agree with poocatcher, DS has had this, Sudocrem wasn't making much difference, and it was down to thrush. The GP gave us Canesten (it's a weaker solution than the stuff you normally get) and it cleared up really quickly and didn't come back. I went to the GP because DS got a couple of white spots in his mouth at the same time, so I thought of thrush, but I don't think the mouth spots are essential in order for it to be thrush.

Chunderella Wed 06-Nov-13 18:40:55

If it is thrush, it's possible it recurred because you needed to use the cream longer. It's not necessarily just about the appearance of a rash, it can be dormant.

lonesomeBiscuit Thu 07-Nov-13 20:47:04

If metanium doesn't work, worth trying plain old vaseline - the only thing that helped at all on DS's bad nappy rash (metanium made it lots worse).

Also use cotton wool wipes and water instead of baby wipes. We use baby wipes to clean grease and oil off my husband's bike, so they have powerful cleaning power - therefore maybe not the best thing for a sore bottom!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now