wet wipes on a newborn?

(55 Posts)
fuckwittery Wed 23-Oct-13 22:33:28

DH is asking why I don't want to use wet wipes on our newborn. I can't actually find anything online as to why they are not recommended, nir any official advice, but I was thinking cotton wool and water only for the first month? THe wipes we have are sensitive unfragranced and say they are suitable for newborns.... Is this true?

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Mon 28-Oct-13 14:27:54

Hooochy you made a good point, I was all up for doing that exact thing, but from 5 months pregnant till now 3 month old baby, all my ligaments turned to chewing gum and things like extra washing and slightly faffing were well off my radar, picking my baby up without crying in pain were my main priority. But you are right you have given me a kick up the ass to get back to what I planned in the first place. grin

hooochycoo Tue 29-Oct-13 13:18:20

No problem, glad to be of service. My sympathy to you, SPD is awful, I had it too with my youngest. Hope you feel better soon x

It really is very little extra work though if you put your washable wipes in a delicates bag when they are dirty. It 's a pain in the arse if you don't thoug, get the wee fuckers all over the shop and have to deprecate them from your other washing and it's most annoying . Strangely it took me a baby to realise that you don't need to dry them! What a fanny, with my PFB I was forever pegging tiny cloths on the line and finding them down the back of radiators. I blame sleep deprivation!

Nowadays I always carry s couple of flannels about with me too, and when babies or messy kids need wiping the get wiped with that. It's easy enough to get hot water from a sink somewhere, or even ask for a cup of hot water in a cafe. Or even just have a wee bottle of cold on you. Drives me mad seeing people using half a packet of wet wipes to wipe their kids in cafes. Worse still, I 've seen folk do it in their own houses. When sat at kitchen tables a couple of feet away from sinks. Or in bathrooms next to showers! I just don 't understand why anyone would need to routinely use wet wipes at home. How can you be do foolish and irresponsible to not realise how lucky your are to have access to instant hot water to keep your children clean, and instead chose to waste money and make rubbish! Crazy! If my kids are dirty they get washed, not wiped with chemicals!

oscarwilde Tue 29-Oct-13 14:15:05

Cotton wool and water for DD1. Used Pampers Sensitive to deal with the black poo and her bottom was livid within hours. I felt terrible, she was literally levitating off the changing mat with every change of nappy. She was sensitive to any kind after that until we discovered Water Wipes.
DD2 was WW from birth with no reaction though I did use cotton wool and water in the hospital.
Ikea do light flannels which are great for general hand and face wiping and I agree with hoochy, it's mad to use disposables at home for those purposes. Generally though I wouldn't bother with reusable wipes for the bottom area as it would take far too long to put together enough for a boil wash. With reusable nappies too, yes but otherwise it would just take too long.

hooochycoo Tue 29-Oct-13 14:53:04

You don't need to boil wash them, just wash at 60 and any germs will be killed. Just stick them in with the rest of the baby's clothes and bedding, they've probably got any germs in them that wipes would have. It's just poo you know, it 's not nuclear waste, it washes out.

anderel Tue 29-Oct-13 15:02:33

We used cotton wool and water/huggies wipes for the 3 days we wete in hospital. Once home used our washable wipes. Waaaay better for cleaning a pooey bum than smeary wetwipes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now