wet wipes on a newborn?

(55 Posts)
fuckwittery Wed 23-Oct-13 22:33:28

DH is asking why I don't want to use wet wipes on our newborn. I can't actually find anything online as to why they are not recommended, nir any official advice, but I was thinking cotton wool and water only for the first month? THe wipes we have are sensitive unfragranced and say they are suitable for newborns.... Is this true?

Wipes from birth for both DC here. I'm not sure how we would have got meconium off their bottoms with tiny cotton balls and water confused Both are fine and not a hint of skin sensitivity or eczema smile

magentastardust Thu 24-Oct-13 15:31:59

DC1-cotton wool and water first week or two then on to wipes.
DC2-cotton wool and water first 2 days then on to wipes.
DC3-wipes as soon as out of hospital

I found Johnsons and Pampers quite harsh but the Huggies newborn or whatever they are called -cream packaging with baby on front very sensitive and not strong smelling or harsh.
Huggies nappies have been discontinued but wipes still on the go.

magentastardust Thu 24-Oct-13 15:32:46

and whoever said cotton buds and water -I presume they mean cotton wool balls? That would take hours ! smile

FortyFacedFuckers Thu 24-Oct-13 15:36:23

I used wipes straight away with DS (was never told not to) and it was fine

Thesunrising Thu 24-Oct-13 16:49:23

Water wipes are good but expensive. Though Ocado currently has a large pack with 20% off. Far cheaper in the long run though is to get a bundle of cheap flannels from somewhere like Ikea or some softer bamboo or fleece wipes off eBay and most washable nappy suppliers. More practical for using at home rather than out and about, but will save you £££ in the long run

Strumpetron Thu 24-Oct-13 17:35:50

magenta Oops blush I did mean balls haha!

snakeweave Thu 24-Oct-13 17:42:45

we used wipes from birth. in fact dd's first nappy change was done by a paediatrician and she used wipes. no sensitivity, no nappy rash.

lagoonhaze Thu 24-Oct-13 17:45:33

Waterwipes as recommended by previous posters are fab as are making your own reusables for at home

Mrspebble Thu 24-Oct-13 17:51:19

I use the water wipes on my DS.. (Five weeks old) when out and about.

Then I use Johnson lotion and cotton wool or water and cotton wool.

I am then going to go onto extra sensitive Johnson wipes as they are mainly water.

The water wipes are great I think.

BarberryRicePud Thu 24-Oct-13 19:00:51

Cotton wool and water with dc1.

Planned to use wipes from day1 with dc2 but her skin had other ideas. Finally for d water wiyes which are great. (and 3 for 2 in the boots baby event at the mo)

mrsmartin1984 Thu 24-Oct-13 19:27:02

I used to used wet wipes all the time but LO got nappy rash. I now use a mixture of wet wipes, fleece wipes, cotton wool.

Make sure bum is dry before putting a nappy in. Some babies with sensitive skin get sore with wipes

TheNumberfaker Thu 24-Oct-13 21:20:13

I used cotton balls and water for the first 4-6 weeks with both my DDs.
There were a couple of basins in our postnatal ward, are there really wards without them?

Somethingpink Thu 24-Oct-13 21:28:52

I am going to be using huggies pure water wipes (12 packs for £10 at Asda). I have had 2 previous cs so getting to water all the time was hard work and these were the next best thing. Huggies pure have no scent whatsoever and are great, both my dc have suffered with eczema and these were fine for them smile

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Thu 24-Oct-13 21:40:28

I got a big box of water wipes from amazon when I was pregnant and have used them for 3 months, I got more in boots 3 for 2 offer.
If you get them from amazon a tip, make sure the delivery driver brings them in the house not dumps them on the front step thrusts the thing to sign and walks off, as you will be left standing looking at the very heavy box and not be able to lift it.

hooochycoo Mon 28-Oct-13 11:21:32

Surprised that no one has mentioned the environmental aspect if wet wipes? They don't break down you know, the are making tonnes of rubbish, just for your convenience.

An easy easy way to not use wet wipes, chop up some old flannels, towels, a fleece blanket or something. Get an old ice cream tub, or Tupperware or such like, pour boiling water in it and a drop of tea tree oil and put the cut up towel in there. Use them to clean babies bum. When dirty put in a delicates bag . When delicates bag full bung in washing machine. Then you don't even have to dry them, just put them back in the Tupperware! If you're out and about, bung some in a sandwhich bag and take a sand which bag with you for the dirty ones. You can even make up a gentle wah solution out of camomile tea, olive oil and tea tree if you like. Or you could not bother and just stick to water.

Pisses me off that people use wet wipes all the time when a cloth, flannel or a quick duck in the sink would do. Think of the mess you create rather than you 're conscience.

hooochycoo Mon 28-Oct-13 11:22:58

Rather than your convenience I meant. Sorry auto correct

ZingWantsCake Mon 28-Oct-13 11:33:26

always used wet wipes, from day one - unless raw bottom from teething

I do like the Johnson and Johnson's aloe vera version when they are newborn, but I always switch back to tesco ones after about a month or two.

jerryfudd Mon 28-Oct-13 11:47:18

Wet wipes with all mine from day one and all ok (no skin conditions etc).

diddlediddledumpling Mon 28-Oct-13 11:52:04

I used cotton wool pads with water for maybe first 3 months with my 3 (family history of eczema). I found they just worked better to be honest. Wouldn't dream of using balls, would take an age, but Superdrug and Tesco both do large square or rectangular pads that I bought on offer.

TombOfMummyBeerest Mon 28-Oct-13 12:58:40

I just use baby washcloths and water with DD. I use a spray bottle for the water so I don't constantly have to wet the washcloths from the sink. She's never had a rash.

Gingersnap88 Mon 28-Oct-13 13:05:14

I use Cheeky Wipes, they are amazingly simple, chemical free and work well. I would never use wet wipes now- just look at the ingredients, so much crap in there for their brand new skin!

Meglet Mon 28-Oct-13 13:05:47

DS - cotton wool and water for a couple of weeks. Then sensitive wipes.

DD - wipes as soon as we got home from the hospital. No skin problems.

ColdTeaAgain Mon 28-Oct-13 13:15:27

I agree with hoochycoo about the environmental aspect, have only used cotton wool so far and i don't find it a faff at all and the cotton wool absorbs poo way better than wipes! Only downside of cotton wool is the plastic bags it comes in plus lots of pesticides used to grow cotton. I got some very cheap towels to chop up to make flannels when i get round to it. Can use them once and chuck in the wash with the nappies, saves money and very easy!

clam Mon 28-Oct-13 13:16:35

I think cotton wool and cooled boiled water is only ever something that new mothers do with their firstborn. After a couple of weeks farting about with poncey bowls that get kicked over by a wriggly baby they come to their senses switch to 'naice' wetwipes like the rest of the world.

diddlediddledumpling Mon 28-Oct-13 13:47:26

Except, clam, the op has used cotton wool and water on 3 babies now, as did I. So not just for first-time mums.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now