wet wipes on a newborn?

(55 Posts)
fuckwittery Wed 23-Oct-13 22:33:28

DH is asking why I don't want to use wet wipes on our newborn. I can't actually find anything online as to why they are not recommended, nir any official advice, but I was thinking cotton wool and water only for the first month? THe wipes we have are sensitive unfragranced and say they are suitable for newborns.... Is this true?

Sparklingbrook Wed 23-Oct-13 22:35:36

DS1-I used cooled boiled water and cotton wool balls.

DS2-Pampers wipes from birth.

They were absolutely fine and far less of a faff.

Disclaimer-This was 2002 and things may have changed.

Doodledumdums Wed 23-Oct-13 22:37:50

I know the official guidelines advise against wet wipes for newborns, but I used them from day one. I had a caesarean and thanks to the useless postnatal care I received, it was really difficult for me to keep having to get fresh water for nappy changes while in hospital (once DH had gone home), and no one helped me, so I gave in and used the wet wipes which state they are suitable for newborns, and I can confirm that my DS is nearly 10mo now and absolutely fine smile

Congratulations on your lovely newborn!

Strumpetron Wed 23-Oct-13 22:38:34

You're not advised to apparently, just cotton buds and water.

Strumpetron Wed 23-Oct-13 22:40:13

Actually I do know a brand that midwives use, or rather the ones I know. They're called Water Wipes. I once won a years supply which I used for my face as I don't have a child blush

heidihole Wed 23-Oct-13 22:40:27

Google "waterwipes" we buy them from Amazon and they are wet wipes but just water. no chemicals whatsoever. Just the same as cotton wool and water, but in the form of a wet wipe. I still use them and DC is 17m now!

heidihole Wed 23-Oct-13 22:40:38

cross post!

Strumpetron Wed 23-Oct-13 22:40:54

Great minds! grin

Slavetominidictator Wed 23-Oct-13 22:43:58

My newborn was allergic to pampers sensitive wipes (I didn't know you weren't supposed to use wipes with a newborn). So I changed to water wipes and she was fine.

BouquetFanjo Wed 23-Oct-13 22:48:20

I had DD1 and used cotton wool and water for ages.

I then realised that was waste of time.

Pampers nappies and wipes are harsh, as are johnsons. They are awful, awful things. Really affected my babies bums.
Huggies were my next brand of choice but they have since discontinued.
Aldi nappies and scent free wipes are perfect. I found this out by accident from other forums. Tesco vests was another invaluable tip.
I had twins and only used cotton wool and cool boiled water on their faces. Wipes on bums from day one.
The midwives in the hospital didn't bat an eyelid.

sleepyhead Wed 23-Oct-13 22:53:20

I used water and cotton wool only on ds1 for about 3 months.

With ds2 it was unscented wipes as soon as we got home from hospital blush

No difference in their skin afaics.

If your newborn starts looking at all sore though I'd stop using them.

twoboysundertwo Wed 23-Oct-13 22:54:21

DS1- cotton wool
DS2- wipes!!!!!

fuckwittery Thu 24-Oct-13 09:20:20

Thanks all, hadnt heard of waterwipes so will def get some. Baby is redhaired and pale skinned and her skin just looks so new and sensitive so I'm going to try to stick to cotton wool in the day at home, and waterwipes for night and out and about. We have Johnsons extra sensitive but I use them to get stains off anything and I'm sure if they can do that they are not good for a newborn!

fuckwittery Thu 24-Oct-13 09:21:10

She is a precious third born btw!

CatchesTheNightTrain Thu 24-Oct-13 09:33:05

A baby's skin ph takes 6 weeks to settle down post birth in our environment. That is the reason no products other than water are used on a babies skin. Allowing the skin to adapt and settle without introducing chemicals (wet wipes/ soaps etc) can avoid the development of childhood eczema and the like.

However as a mother I do understand the convenience if wipes. The water wipes are great but so expensive for what they are.

At the end of the day you have to do what makes life easiest for you and results in a happy mum and baby, as midwives we give you the information and it's up to you what choices you make - it's the same with regard to feeding. We should be giving you the information and supporting whatever choice you make.

Hope that helps?

galwaygirl Thu 24-Oct-13 09:33:51

DS's skin was irritated by the Pampers sensitive ones but Asda ones were great. We did the cotton wool thing with DD but used wipes straight away with DS and he's fine.

I used wipes from birth with both babies, both absolutely fine.

QTPie Thu 24-Oct-13 09:58:42

We used "Simple" wipes with DS from when we got home from the hospital: these were excellent (other brands gave him a rash).

MuffCakes Thu 24-Oct-13 10:01:23

I know your supposed to use water and cotton wool but I used wet wipes from birth and slapped sudu cream on after so I didn't feel to guilty grin

StickChildrenTwo Thu 24-Oct-13 14:59:09

I used cotton wool in the hospital and wipes as soon as we got home with both our babies. Neither one of them EVER had nappy rash or any reaction at all to them.

MirandaWest Thu 24-Oct-13 15:02:19

I used wet wipes on DD and she got a rash. She was neglected second child (DS probably had water and cotton wool (pleats not balls which are impossible to use) so went back to water again and she was fine smile

BerstieSpotts Thu 24-Oct-13 15:08:49

I was all well-intentioned to use cotton wool and water and then forgot to put them in the labour bag (probably a good thing as thinking back where the fuck would you acquire water from on a postnatal ward?) - XP ended up running to the hospital shop when DS had his first poo and just bought totally normal wipes, not even sensitive ones.

He was absolutely fine.

BerstieSpotts Thu 24-Oct-13 15:11:47

Really? Have they been linked to development of eczema? I didn't realise that. I suppose we were lucky then confused

I did prefer to use warm water for poo once we were home, and especially after weaning, because it seemed to dissolve it better than scrubbing away with a wipe which didn't seem very nice. But cotton wool is so impractical, far too fluffy and the balls are too small.

ScreamingNaanAndGoryOn Thu 24-Oct-13 15:16:00

DC1, water and cotton wool.
DC2, wipes.

I am pleased to report that their bums are both just fine.

nf1morethanjustlumpsandbumps Thu 24-Oct-13 15:18:17

Cotton wool and water in hospital
Huggies/Simple wipes the day he got home

Doodledums the same for me the post-natal care left a lot to be desired after a crash section.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now