So... If you DC has a different / unpopular name...

(95 Posts)
ElBombero Mon 07-Oct-13 19:57:14

If you've chosen a slightly different name have you had a wobble about it later?

I am and just hoping it passes...

MrsDeVere Mon 07-Oct-13 21:29:50

It is a great name.
Stop worrying about it.

I have a son with one of the most hated names on MN.
I didn't name him, his birth mother did.

No way would I change his name, take away his history just because people are snotty about a perfectly nice name.

You chose his name, you like it, just forget about anyone else.

I think that names that are a bit unusual won't stand out that much by the time your DS is an adult. I can't imagine a doctor or solicitor called "Sonny" at the moment, but I think that will change.

bsc Mon 07-Oct-13 21:30:24

We know a lovely little Sonny- he's 4, and a real sweetie! If you like it, keep it.

sonlypuppyfat Mon 07-Oct-13 21:31:02

Perhaps it depends on where you live.

ElBombero Mon 07-Oct-13 21:33:29

Thanks onestepcloser, I remember you, you've hit the nail on the head really. I forgave my GP almost immediately, their 80+ and as one poster put it no self edit. My dad has continued to be rude about it, I sent him an email bluntly saying How I felt, how hurt I was and that I want him to accept and move on. Had no response or acknowledgement from the email but no further comment either.

Just hard cos we were so damn close before, we never had any conflict bar this, and because if that I don't feel like I can really have it out with him, yet it's built a little wedge, maybe I'm having the wobble cos I'm wondering if he's right? If I will fix it...

froken Mon 07-Oct-13 21:35:17

My ds is called E.l.v.i.n ( without the dots, that is to hopefully make is less Google-able) I love his name but people always say "oh Alvin, like the chipmunk" I have had times where I have wished I called him Alvin ( or Dave or anything easy to say) but mostly I love his name.

I have had such lovely comments about his name andit really suits him.

I think sonny if a great name.

ElBombero Mon 07-Oct-13 21:36:29

Thank you thank you thank you everyone. I always feel so much better when I talk in here about it. I do love his name. Need some thicker skin! X

Well hes not right ElBombero! Sonny is your child, he had his chance to name his own children and now this is yours, you tell him that grin

Seriously, if your close, tell him, tell him your hurt. Tell him he needs to be on your side. The thing is if you allow him to ride roughshod over this, then it might set a precedence.

El, my name is Loveday (outed myself there, but I dont think anyone I know is on here, or are they grin, my grandmother nearly had a fit! She thought I was going to be Annabelle.

bundaberg Mon 07-Oct-13 21:44:45

Sonny is a fantastic name!

nurseneedshelp Mon 07-Oct-13 21:49:46

Sonny is an amazing name, if you like it then don't change it because a relative has made a negative comment!

*sonlypuppyfat I think we get that you don't like the name! Leave the thread now that you've made your point......

bsc Mon 07-Oct-13 21:50:14

Onestep- your name is utterly gorgeous! smile I really like it.

Sorry, will stop gushing, and slink away...

Sindarella Mon 07-Oct-13 21:50:58

I love Sonny, and Dallas an Elvin!! I might use one of these when i finally nag DP into having another baby.
DPs name is Juke, thats what attracted me in the first place. He doesn't like unusual names as he has one an says when he was younger he never got away with anything as there was only one Juke. An he gets fed up being called Duke/Luke.
We have a William, Kieran an i got my way with Jaxon grin

ElBombero Mon 07-Oct-13 21:57:39

Onestepcloser what an amazing unusual lovely name. What do you think? What's been reactions throughout your life? Really unique what's the story behind it?

mrsmartin1984 Mon 07-Oct-13 21:59:56

I gave my daughter an old fashioned name, an unusual spelling and an old fashioned middle name. But she is the only Silvia around. She is unique. I hated my old name because it's so common, and I got mixed up with all the other children with the same name.

sonlypuppyfat Mon 07-Oct-13 22:08:39

Point taken

WorrySighWorrySigh Mon 07-Oct-13 22:10:00

Sonny is your son.

My DS has an unusual name (the name has only been used less than a dozen times since DS was born). It is his name, that is all. I couldnt imagine having used a different name.

Thank you, Ive never had negative comments, at school I cant remember ever being teased about it, although I was teased for my surname! Everyone I meet loves it (I know a few little Lovedays now,2 friends have used it, I feel honoured).

No ones every shortened it, but sometimes I turn round when someone shouts Love.

I feel a bit embarrassed that Ive given both my DCs Classic anti MN Names.

5madthings Mon 07-Oct-13 22:13:24

Sonny is a lovely name, it was on our list.

I know two little Sonny's, both gorgeous.

Its not that unusual.

Look, if you are still not sure, just change it.

If you really loved the name unconditionally, those comments would not have deterred you. Not ONE bit.

Change his name to something you think will suit him better.

I would not have called my son sonny. Sonny is a nick name you can give any son of yours. DH calls our son Sonny sometimes, or Sonny-boy!

Being totally honest here as you are clearly looking for opinions.

Mogz Mon 07-Oct-13 22:17:08

My Great Uncle was a Sonny and he was one of the best people in the world. Fact.

BloodiedWellies Mon 07-Oct-13 22:19:23

Dear Lord I love the name Loveday.

I love Sonny. This is my true and honest reaction. You can never please everybody and there will always be some people (aka insensitive asses) who think they have the right to an opinion. What matters is you, your family unit and your son. if YOU love Sonny, then that is the start and the end of it.

We named DC3 a very ordinary, 'boring' name that is so out of fashion that it is not even in the granddad fashion of names. People just screwed their noses up at. But it meant something to us (the name of a beloved family member now deceased). And it suits him so much, and we just rock the name. Now, now he is 3 people go out of their way to say they like it. When he was born people just said 'really? yuck'.

tethersend Mon 07-Oct-13 22:20:26

earlesswonder, she is actually named after Shirley Hughes...

Imagine my delight when Shirley Hughes came on to do a MN web chat, and I was able to tell her I'd named my daughter after her. She was very lovely about it smile

SanityClause Mon 07-Oct-13 22:23:28

I used to know a dentist called Sonny. No high court judges, though! wink

It does not matter HOW many people tell you they know and love a fantastic Sonny. If you are unsure, it wont matter.

In my family we have M.alLvin, Albert, Avie.lle, Theo, (we are not terribly posh, wink you see.

My son has a name that people said "noooo you mustn" we still loved the name. It is a name I even see frequenty here, mentioned as a name people would be really chavvy/crazy/unclassy to call their child.

I honestly dont understand their point. I dont see what is wrong with the name, I love it, and it suits my son perfectly. It really is him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now