How do you bathe a 6 month-plus baby?

(43 Posts)
AidanTheRevengeNinja Sat 05-Oct-13 17:29:35

Just wondering how other people do (or did) it! We've been happily using the Jahgoo bath support in the main bath so far, but DS is now 7 months and over the maximum weight limit (and has started slipping out). He can sit unsupported but has a fondness for suddenly planking backwards hmm Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance smile

YoniBottsBumgina Sat 05-Oct-13 19:57:18

In the kitchen sink smile

MsJupiterJones Sat 05-Oct-13 21:59:20

I've got a wriggler too and I bought a bath sponge (large flat one with sort of baby shaped dent in it) - once he had outgrown the baby bath we just put that in the main bath and it was a stable base for him to wriggle about on.

froken Sun 06-Oct-13 08:34:50

We either have 9month old ds in the bath with us ( he sits between my legs water up yo his armpits) or he just sits in the bath alone ( he has done this since learning to sit at 4.5 months) we have a nonslip mat.

No need for any safety devices in my opinion.

18 mo, newborn and I all go in together. dh passes people in although if I am on my own I can do it with one. I use the bit after as my main wash. saves trying to fund another time during the day and dh leaves me to it and gets them all dressed.

AidanTheRevengeNinja Sun 06-Oct-13 10:07:52

Thanks very much everyone! Lots of ideas, really helpful.

Ceeveebee sorry I meant that I need to wash and rinse his hair properly and it's hard to do when he's upright in the swivel seat without getting water in his eyes (which always triggers a huge meltdown). He's not Tarzan or anything grin

MavisDee Sun 06-Oct-13 10:56:09

Rubber bath mat and just keep one hand on her/very near. It is more of a faff than when she fitted in the bath support but figure it won't be long before she is much more stable so will become a bit easier.

WhereIsBethanyBear Sun 06-Oct-13 11:12:07

Um. Hold child. Put in bath confused

Cheeka Sun 06-Oct-13 13:55:28

Ceeveebee-do you use two aquapods for your twins? and does the mat part overlap with each other when u place them in the bath? Need to progress to next stage of bathing my twins -doing it separately at the moment confused

minipie Sun 06-Oct-13 14:04:06

shallow bath, baby lies on back.

no sitting up (unless being held) until they can sit confidently without falling over.

warning : the bathroom gets very wet this way as they like to kick when on their back (or at least mine did!)

minipie Sun 06-Oct-13 14:05:14

actually thinking about it, this method only worked for us because dd didn't really roll back to front till quite late. if you have a roller it might not be such a good idea....

ceeveebee Sun 06-Oct-13 15:46:56

Cheeka - I bought a double one specifically for twins but looks like its discontinued as only on eBay now
m.ebay.co.uk/itm/131010373041

But actually we don't bother with the mat part anymore anyway

AHardDaysWrite Sun 06-Oct-13 15:58:28

Fill bath. Get towels ready. Lie baby on a towel on the change mat, wipe face/bum with flannel, lather up with soap as required. Put baby in bath to rinse off and have a little splash. Remove baby and dry. Simple and means you can keep two hands on baby at all times.

Cheeka Tue 08-Oct-13 18:37:53

Thanks Ceeveebee! So sorry for hijacking ur Thread OP blush
Sorry-one last Q-
Do u find the twins fall through the side of the seat, CeeVeeBee?

Cheeka Tue 08-Oct-13 18:47:33

Aidan-one thing I do to wash hair is to swaddle the baby and lean him backwards over the filled baby bath to wash and rinse. Or I use a small basin. Sounds crazy to do this for a 6mth old (like he's a new born) but it avoids the water in eyes/ears. I need to think of another way because they are getting way too big for this!

AidanTheRevengeNinja Tue 08-Oct-13 19:06:14

Thanks very much for all the extra replies! Much appreciated. Cheeka - no problem - actually the thought of bathing twins in one tub has put my situation into perspective so thank you grin

ceeveebee Wed 09-Oct-13 10:34:03

Cheeka - no, they didn't but by the time I started using the seats they were 8 months old so could sit up well on their own. Before I used those seats I used to use the reclining bath supoort things. Or you could get 2 swivel seats as they are totally enclosed so can't fall sideways

Re hair washing - I just put my hand over their eyes when using the hand held shower. But I did also buy one of those things that goes on their head, looks like a sailor hat without a top on (will try to find a link) but haven't really used it as they are not that bothered by water in their eyes.

ceeveebee Wed 09-Oct-13 10:35:00
Cheeka Thu 10-Oct-13 22:13:49

Thanks Ceeveebee smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now