How do you bathe a 6 month-plus baby?

(43 Posts)
AidanTheRevengeNinja Sat 05-Oct-13 17:29:35

Just wondering how other people do (or did) it! We've been happily using the Jahgoo bath support in the main bath so far, but DS is now 7 months and over the maximum weight limit (and has started slipping out). He can sit unsupported but has a fondness for suddenly planking backwards hmm Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance smile

Theironfistofarkus Sat 05-Oct-13 17:32:10

Take him in main bath with you. It's lovely!

Wildwaterfalls Sat 05-Oct-13 17:36:29

At that age we has DD sitting in the main bath, supporting her with one hand / arm in case of sudden tumbles. She's just learning to walk now and tries to do that in the bath, something to look forward to!

mrsmartin1984 Sat 05-Oct-13 17:36:41

I have one of those seats you sit them in. I'm terrified on sticking her straight in the bath as she can just slip over. Got it off ebay 2nd hand for about £2. They are about £12 new

Wildwaterfalls Sat 05-Oct-13 17:36:43

*had

Wildwaterfalls Sat 05-Oct-13 17:37:39

Should add having a rubber bath mat thingy really helps against slipping.

waterrat Sat 05-Oct-13 17:41:45

I still put my 18 month old in a baby bath sat inside the main bath ...,uses less water than running the whole bath and you don't have to always get in !

Caitycat Sat 05-Oct-13 17:42:32

I used a baby bath in the big bath until dd was a confident sitter then moved into the big bath so she can enjoy playing in all that space, watch her like a hawk but she has only slipped once and I grabbed her immediately.

peanutMD Sat 05-Oct-13 17:43:52

our baby bath has a built in support for lying or sitting so we use that but DS had a safety 1st seat.

notanyanymore Sat 05-Oct-13 17:44:54

I only fill the water enough so she can go in it lying down with her face and tummy sticking out. She loves it because it gives her the freedom to kick and splash about.

bangersmashandbeans Sat 05-Oct-13 17:49:39

Safety first swivel bath seat - sorry can't do link on phone. They're brilliant.

When DD was this age, we bought a non-slip bath mat and had her sitting up with one of our arms very nearby in case she threw herself backwards.

Either that, or only filled the bath a couple of inches so she could lie down flat without the water being near her face. She actually preferred that as she had the freedom to kick and splash.

We never bought any sort of bath supports because I'm too tight fisted to part with cash for stuff if I don't absolutely have to

noblegiraffe Sat 05-Oct-13 18:01:11

My 8 month old goes in a baby bath in the bath. I used to hold her all the time, now I just crouch next to the bath and play with her, keeping an eye out for falling over.

AidanTheRevengeNinja Sat 05-Oct-13 18:13:01

Thanks everyone, that's really helpful! smile We actually bought the Safety 1st swivel seat but I've found it impossible to wash his hair in it (he has a ridiculous amount of hair). Maybe a two-step process is needed. We have a borrowed baby bath in the garage, and my parents have a rubber bath mat, will give those a try too.

I thought about taking him in with me but he is the absolute master of wriggle and I am not very coordinated even on dry land grin

AidanTheRevengeNinja Sat 05-Oct-13 18:14:04

Oh, but re taking baby in with you - do you wash in this bath too, or have a separate actually-getting-clean shower/bath? That might work...

Your way overthinking it. Simplify or you can't do alone!

heidihole Sat 05-Oct-13 18:16:31

Now that DS is 16m I can actually get clean too as I don't have to hold him. We have a non slip mat on the bottom and I wash my hair, use soap etc whilst he sits between my legs and thumps my stomach like a drum...

When he was younger it was harder because I had to hold him all the time so tended to bathe him with me out of the bath and just kneeling at the side.

I used tp just lay my dc on their backs in the main bath, shallow enough so they could breathe! Amazing fun splashing! Sometimes on tummy too.

ZenNudist Sat 05-Oct-13 18:25:17

Run shallow lukewarm bath with baby bath bubbles
Insert child in seated position.
no further aids or support necessary though you can support upright if needed
Mind child constantly
Use baby shampoo/sponge
Add toys
Remove child from bath
Dry
Hth grin

AidanTheRevengeNinja Sat 05-Oct-13 19:04:54

ZenNudist surely it can't be that easy?

<slinks off to over-complicate everything PFB-ishly> grin

BettyandDon Sat 05-Oct-13 19:10:14

I use a plastic laundry basket with holes in a main bath. Saw it on Pinterest and it's brill.

noblegiraffe Sat 05-Oct-13 19:15:26

My DD also has a ridiculous amount of hair. I did used to wash it separately in the sink under the tap but now she wriggles so I wash it in the bath and use this for rinsing

ceeveebee Sat 05-Oct-13 19:30:58

How long is your DSs hair that you can't wash it in a swivel seat??

I have similar seats from mothercare, think they are called aquapod, which my twins have been sat in since about 8 months,we always bath them together, they're now 23 months and we still use them (tbh I could probably drop them now but they seem to like them!). I use a handheld shower thing to wash their hair

monkeynuts123 Sat 05-Oct-13 19:44:38

Sit him up in the main bath and sit next to the bath ready to catch him if he planks. Keep it shallow and he'll probably like to be on his tummy practicing his swimming and exhausting himself for bed!

monkeynuts123 Sat 05-Oct-13 19:45:13

oh as zen says, exactly that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now