Just started school, dd exhausted. Is a day off okay?

(32 Posts)
stopthebusiwanttogetoff Mon 30-Sep-13 13:13:05

DD just started school aged 4, and there are two weeks til half term (Scotland, so started mid August). She is shattered, and it is affecting her behaviour and enjoyment of life! She is just very moany and needy and not her usual self, tears for no reason and mad hysterical hyper happiness, followed by collapsing into sobs. I feel so sorry for her, and this morning she cried going into school for the first time, wanting to stay home.

I am thinking of keeping her off tomorrow as I don't work Tuesdays, just to let her chill out- ie board games, tv and stories, and go to feed the ducks or something. This is my son is only 6 and will be jealous!!! So maybe I should just leave them both to it.

WWYD?!

motherinferior Mon 30-Sep-13 20:43:51

I once rang school when DD1 was in reception explaining she was totally wiped and I was keeping her off on Friday - my day off with her sister - but if we were seen in the local shop please not to be cross...and school was lovely about it. One day off when run down in reception really doesn't set them up for anything. DD1 is now 12 and has an exemplary attendance record grin

fuckwittery Mon 30-Sep-13 21:10:30

I would keep her off, and say, you are not v well today as you are so tired, explain to your 6 year old that she is not v well as not slept enough, and tell the school she is crying with tiredness and needs a day to recharge batteries.

stopthebusiwanttogetoff Mon 30-Sep-13 21:48:42

Yes Sarah, she is a December birthday, and as you rightly say I didnt want her to start P1/year R next August, as I think she is as ready as her peers. She will be 5in December. My son is a Jan birthday and I have probably just forgotten how tired he was when he started school, and like I said before he had duvet days as he kept getting chest infections, she never gets ill, but god she gets tired. She was asleep for 7 tonight though, so fingers crossed!

I hadn't realised that about the defferal systems - I assumed England was the same. Interesting!

sarahtigh Wed 02-Oct-13 18:13:35

my DD is same she is 5 in december so will start school in scotland in august she will be one of youngest(4.8) if we ever moved to England she would be in same school year, ( though now as one of the older ones in her year group) however if I chose to defer and then moved to England she would have to skip a school year

legally you can defer in England but your child would miss reception year

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 02-Oct-13 18:18:56

I would speak to the school.

DS1's reception teacher was great at keeping an eye on them, and he fell asleep a couple of times during the first term and they called me to go and pick him up. I think that if I had really felt he couldn't handle it they would have been happy for him to do a couple of half days but we didn't get to that point even though he had only turned 4 a few weeks before he started school.

nappyaddict Thu 03-Oct-13 16:49:21

I have known of children with special needs or that were born prematurely to defer and still start in Reception in England.

MiaowTheCat Thu 03-Oct-13 18:37:23

I'd talk to the school - it's not a particularly unusual problem (and I always find this half term the hardest going slog of the lot of them myself - nights getting darker, weather getting crapper and there's nowt really to look forward to unlike the run up to Christmas next half term)... used to teach one little girl who regularly had a nap in the book corner in class (her mum knew this and was happy for her to do so) - and would express her opinion on the head's boring as hell assemblies by loudly snoring through them (I empathised and wished I could join in without getting the sack)!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now