HELP. DD 3.11 thinks she is a chicken. WWYD?

(83 Posts)
ConstantCraving Tue 24-Sep-13 19:43:55

My DD is 3.11 and loves chickens - to the extent that she wants to believe she is a chicken. She has various chicken names she goes by: 'Happy Mrs Chicken', Henny Penny' etc and has an encyclopaedic knowledge of all things chicken (including chicken coops - you wouldn't believe how many there are!) DH and I have not really seen this as an issue, we like the fact she has a good imagination ,and her ability to remember information - and she's only 3, if you can't be a chicken at 3 when can you smile?
Anyway, she has recently started nursery for the first time and its causing some issues -she has been calling the other children chickens, which has upset some of them, and she gets upset if the staff call her a little girl. I have sat her down and explained that other children don't want to be chickens and that she is a girl who loves chickens and loves playing being a chicken but she got really upset and stood in front of the mirror saying 'I think you are a chicken, your hair could be feathers .. you have got a beak' (she still talks in the 3rd person) trying to convince herself! Nursery seem worried by her obsession - and now I'm getting worried. My much older DS never did anything like this. I just thought she'd grow out if it - anyone else experienced anything like this?

Bproud Sat 28-Sep-13 19:00:16

My childhood friend who 'was a dog' for years on end, is now a very successful vet. I think it shows great imagination and intelligence to immerse yourself in a role like this.

ConstantCraving Sat 28-Sep-13 18:29:26

grin grin grin at all of these tales which have made me realise that DD is one of many imaginative children.
I honestly hadn't worried about her til she started nursery and they mentioned it as an 'issue'. It's a Montessori which I chose deliberately thinking they'd be a bit more on her wave length - and she does seem to be getting on ok, apart from the fact that they think her being a chicken is a bit extreme... I can't help but think if she was being a 'princess' they'd be ok with it. Which is disappointing.

NicholasTeakozy Sat 28-Sep-13 18:06:41

I think the time to worry is when she presents you with an egg, and there are none missing from the fridge.

Meatyfeet Sat 28-Sep-13 17:02:57

Oh the very lowest points were her actually cocking her leg and weeing on the grass at the park shock blush and getting into trouble at school for biting another child.

I remember going to pick her up from preschool one day and just hearing a chorus of children yapping and barking shockgrin.

She has just taught my 11 my twins to bark too.....

Meatyfeet Sat 28-Sep-13 16:58:45

girliefriend I'm heartened to hear that! My dd 'became' a dog at 3.5 and it's still going strong at 6.5!

We've had days where she'll only walk on all fours, only be called by her chosen dog name (which was usually Clifford), only be groomed rather than have her hair brushed, answer in barks/growls/yelps/pants, bark and growl at strangers blush, asks us to throw toys for her to 'fetch' . She regularly makes herself and all her cuddly toys (which are all dogs of course) collars and leads. All the games she plays with her (very normal and lovely friends) at school have to involve a dog somewhere, which they have all come to accept.

Thankfully, she has outgrown a lot of those behaviours now but 'dog mode', as we call it, still remains grin.

MacMac123 Fri 27-Sep-13 22:19:18

You've got to get her on video telling herself she's a chicken in the mirror! Brilliant!

girliefriend Fri 27-Sep-13 22:14:42

My dd is quite often a dog and will attach herself to a lead and start begging (barking of course) for someone to take her out for a walk. She will also bring a ball over in her mouth, drop it on your lap, sit panting and looking hopeful until you throw it for her!!! grin

She is 7yo and doesn't appear to be outgrowing it yet!!

Dd was a cat for a good year. Even took to rubbing her head against strangers blush. She was also a racing car for a while and needed frequent pitstops to change her tyres.

MrsZimt Fri 27-Sep-13 22:00:50

LOL at some of your dc's personalities grin

My older daughter had an imaginary friend called Pip when she was 3-4, he lived with us, we had to put a plate for him on the table at mealtimes, we got a running commentary on what he was doing during the day - for almost a whole year.

My younger daughter has had many personalities, most memorable the dinosaur phase. She was a T-Rex, roared at her friends, ate raw meat (I called the GP), pretended to bite a playgroup helper (and got into trouble for it), was only able to sleep with her 3 dinosaurs arranged around her (soft toys - Natural History Museum) in her dino bedcover and cushion.

She's been a dog for most of the last 3 weeks, and the focus is now on dragons. She wants a dragon costume for her birthday and a castle cake with a dragon on top.
She has already told me that her teacher has told her and her friends that dragon play fighting is too dangerous for play time. God knows what they were up to. Probably pretend biting and fire spitting.

RhondaJean Fri 27-Sep-13 21:44:10

Is anyone else reminded of father jack and his "brick"?

RubyrooUK Fri 27-Sep-13 21:30:32

I love some of the characters on this thread. However, for my personal mental safety, I will be avoiding allowing DS1 to see: cabbages, bath plugs and Korean people from now on. There is so much more out there for him to obsess about.

camtt Fri 27-Sep-13 21:19:32

GroupieGirl - my DS (3) thinks he speaks Korean and often greets people with some sounds he insists are Korean words.

ErrolTheDragon Fri 27-Sep-13 21:12:51

Oh, and to answer the OPs question, WWYD? Build her a nice little nest. Or a henhouse out of a huge cardboard box.

Wolfiefan Fri 27-Sep-13 21:12:39

My DD is 3. Tonight she was a gruffalo duck.
She is often a little pink pony.
Very frequently a cat.
Sometimes a superhero.
At times she is a princess.

I love her in all her incarnations!

ErrolTheDragon Fri 27-Sep-13 21:11:08

smile
what a lovely thread. My DD was a dog quite a lot, but an odder habit was identifying with elderly men in stories. So for instance playing out various Beatrix Potter stories she'd be Mr McGregor or the Tailor of Gloucester.

A bit older and DH was foolish enough to get the 'Muzzy' French thing. I don't think she learned any French except how to pronounce the soft J in Jean...but she developed a complicated game based on it in which she was Jean the gardener, I (for my sins) was the princess whatever-her-name was and then there were a whole lot of other princes and princesess enacted by some of her favourite toy dogs... who all had real names but also their 'pretend' names.

rallytog1 Fri 27-Sep-13 21:07:13

My brother thought he was a guinea pig until he was about 11. He turned out pretty much normal.

BluddyMoFo Fri 27-Sep-13 20:52:01

Also she used to get major crushes on the strangest thing. She picked up a pack of ham in the supermarket once and fell in love. She wouldn't let go, she loved it too much. So we bought it - cashier scanned it while she held it. She took it to the park and took turns going down the slide and on the swing, and they played together in the sand pit. When we got home they had a bath together. At bed time they slept together.
And in the middle of the night I crept in and took it to make sandwiches with!

BluddyMoFo Fri 27-Sep-13 20:49:00

My daughter was a dog called Lola for about 8 months. People used to think it was 'cute' but they really didn't understand the tears and tantrums when I wouldn't walk her round town on her hands and knees wearing a lead, or cock her leg and piss up trees, or eat and drink out of a bowl....well ok, maybe I used to give in on the last one...but the rest, man it was draining! grin

ConstantCraving Fri 27-Sep-13 20:44:48

Sorry Outraged not a Geordie ... but yes that's exactly what she does!
Ruby your DS wins the prize for most unlikely comfort objects, I didn't think the carrot could be topped, but 'Appley' the post-it does it grin. I think he and DD would get on very well. DD had a plug on a chain that she used to take for walks. People looked at her pityingly, I had to explain that she did have toys, she just loved her plug..

avolt Fri 27-Sep-13 00:04:09

My dd was quite obsessed with one particular animal at around this age. It went on for a good few years. We didn't mind. But we found nursery and school staff were completely alarmed by it - one supply teacher accused us of treating her like an animal at home.

She's just an imaginative type really. We no longer have to call her by her animal name these days. But it was her passion at the time and I don't think it did her any harm.

rockybalboa Thu 26-Sep-13 23:46:47

Ah, this thread is lovely! I have a 5yo and a 2yo and neither has ever pretended to be an animal or used a vegetable as a comforter. They spend a lot of time playing Star Wars and Ben 10 which is much less cute. I shall trade them in...

SleepyPanda Thu 26-Sep-13 23:46:21

A little boy who was probably about 4 came into work recently with his mum and his grandma.
The mum asked me for admission for one spectator, one adult and one child, only for her DS to pipe up from behind the counter:

'But, I'm not a child! I'm a penguin!' in the most serious little voice.

I've got to admit, the mum looked pretty exasperated; she'd clearly got a bit tired of having a penguin for a son.

I humoured him though, and printed off tickets saying 'one spectator, one adult.......and one penguin!'

I can imagine it might get quite annoying after a while, but I don't imagine it's anything to really worry about yet. She's still quite little.

Sockywockydoodah Thu 26-Sep-13 23:45:39

Augured??

Laughter.

Sockywockydoodah Thu 26-Sep-13 23:45:16

Oh I'm crying with augured at this thread.

My just turned three year old spends much of his time as a train, and has memorised quite lengthy announcements, which he intersperses with quite realistic hissing/whirring/moving noises. He has to stop at every station - they can sometimes be infuriatingly closely spaced, which can be problematic if we're actually trying to go somewhere. We often get stuck in a loop visiting Clapham Junction over and over.

Other times he's a lift <boggle>

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 26-Sep-13 23:35:15

'She does a kind of running commentary through the day on what 'Happy Mrs Chicken' is up to...'

Is anyone else imagining a Big Brother stylee 'Daaaay 3, at nursery, and Mrs Chicken is in the painting area...'

Please tell me you're a Geordie OP? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now