Gentle way of getting 2 1/2 yo off her dummy?

(9 Posts)
BlackMogul Mon 16-Sep-13 23:23:32

Read "The Last Noo Noo". At least you and your child will have a laugh. You could try the storyline too.

Mamuss Mon 16-Sep-13 22:50:43

You can snip a hole in them. It won't suck properly and they won't want them anymore smile

mamababa Mon 16-Sep-13 22:48:01

We did dummy fairy too. 'there are some babies who really need a dummy, the dummy fairy is asking for some' reluctantly DS handed them over, after bath time she had kindly left a note of thanks and a new toy!

debbie1412 Mon 16-Sep-13 22:35:19

Do it for the Christmas fairy.startthe discussion now so it's not a shock x

theynevershutup Sun 15-Sep-13 20:37:55

My DD was 2 when we took hers away, she had the ones with the cherry teat and didn't like the orthodontic ones, so one day I bought the different type and she didn't like it and I told her that's all we had so she stopped it herself. Might not work for your DD but may be worth a try if she's fussy about it being the right dummy.

Just do it. Dont keep talking about giving up - just creates anxiety. Take away, job done. I'm going to do this with dd once all of her teeth have come through as she wants it more when teething. I got rid of DS's by just chucking them. He wasn't quite as attached though grin

eversomuch Sun 15-Sep-13 18:16:29

I like the idea of doing it during bath time; will def give this some consideration. I still suspect there will be lots of tears, though.

Chocotrekkie Sun 15-Sep-13 11:47:09

Dummy fairy ! - bit like the tooth fairy..
We gathered up al the dummy's and left them by the front door.. Quick "call" to the fairy while she went in the bath.
After bath time the fary had left her a new favourite toy which she slept with for weeks instead.

FIfi metal watering can wasn't the best toy right enough - a soft teddy would have been much nicer in the middle of the night... grin

Good luck.

eversomuch Sun 15-Sep-13 11:42:11

Is there any gentle way of getting 2 1/2 yo DD off her dummy?

She only uses it for naps and bedtime, but is very attached to it and lately has been a bit difficult about relinquishing it after nap time. She also often wakes once in the night calling (or screaming) for it if she's lost it in her cot.

She took a nap in her buggy recently without the dummy (we only take it out of the house on big excursions, which this one was not) and she still mentions it with a lot of pride ("I took a nap WITHOUT my dummy!"). But she gets upset when we tell her she'll soon have to give it up (getting to be too big for it, etc), even though we've also told her there's a big surprise (ie pressie) for when she gives it up.

DH and I keep telling each other that we'll take it away cold turkey as soon as we've had a few good nights' sleep but we have a 10mo baby who doesn't sleep so well (and doesn't take a dummy), so we're still very tired and loath to subject ourselves voluntarily to more sleepless nights.

Maybe she'll outgrow it on her own, but I really don't want to wait and have that turn out to be at 3 or 4 or 5 yo. But I don't want to torment her either.

Any suggestions or anecdotes of success would be appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now