3 week old with a cold

(13 Posts)
Haddock73 Sun 15-Sep-13 05:28:44

Ds1, dh and I are all ill with coughs and colds. Ds2 - 3 weeks now has a cold, sneezing, stuffy nose seems even more unsettled than usual.

Is there anything I can give to help relieve his discomfort?

bellablot Sun 15-Sep-13 05:31:17

Nasal saline spray or drops, they are great and really help. I think if it effects their feeding then its time to seek professional advice

I agree, we use the spray and it does help. Ds has an awful cold too but he's 9 months still awful though!

JollySleepyGiant Sun 15-Sep-13 05:47:18

My 3 week old is snotty too. I think you can use karvol or olbas oil.

I always thought olbas oil was from 3 months (could be dreaming it!)

Alanna1 Sun 15-Sep-13 05:54:55

Mine got her first cold young from her sister. Babies sleep lots so they throw it off quickly. Humidity helps - can sit in the shower etc to feed. Do keep a close eye as colds can go to babies' chests and cause pneumonia, so take him/her to GP if any concerns at all.

ThisIsYourSong Sun 15-Sep-13 06:02:23

A humidifier is great at night. You'll probably find it helps you and your DH to sleep as well.

Haddock73 Sun 15-Sep-13 06:58:55

Thank you everyone....ds1 (now 2) got his first cold at 5 months so but worried ds2 has caught one so early.

ThisIsYourSong Sun 15-Sep-13 10:01:46

The second always gets more colds, due to the first usually! It's hard isn't it, especially in such a young one

GlitzPig Sun 15-Sep-13 12:50:10

Wet a towel through with cold water and wring it out, then stick on a hot radiator and shake some olbas onto the towel-it gets some moisture in the air, and they inhale the olbas/karvol while they're sleeping.

Also rub Snufflebabe on their chest, back and soles of feet, and on your own chest/shoulders, as this can help them unblock enough to feed.

kerry85 Sun 15-Sep-13 13:29:24

My first daughter was about 3 weeks old when she got her first cold, I found it helped to sit in the bathroom and run the shower quite hot to get the room all steamy, I would then put the plug in the bath and drop in a few drops of karvol or olbas oil, and sit and breathe it all in for a while. Baby may need a change of clothes afterwards though smile

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Sun 15-Sep-13 14:00:08

Karvol and olbas not recommended til 3m but baby nose clear is fine from birth and works just as well. Great popping a few drops in a bowl of warm water in the room.

Personally never got on well with a nasal aspirator, but some find them great.

Hope he's better soon.

Haddock73 Mon 16-Sep-13 19:55:07

Thank you all. I've bought some saline drops so hopefully that will help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now