eating

(7 Posts)
emmawattsbowen Fri 13-Sep-13 08:24:07

my lil girl is 4 and i cant stop her from eating we are consranty aguing about it shes had good meals but still keeps going she must be full but dont stop then when me and my husband stop her the tantrums are crazy pls help should i lock things up x

nextphase Fri 13-Sep-13 13:36:33

Is she over weight? if not, she probably needs the calories!
Its really easy to see if mine have skipped food - they become horrible. They eat 5 times a day (2 breakfasts, lunch, tea at nursery, and dinner with us at home), with occasional snacks.

The other posibility is she is thirsty, and can't distinguish between needing food and water. What happens if you send her away with a drink of water?

bundaberg Fri 13-Sep-13 13:41:08

my lot eat tons too.
they have free access to a jug of water they can help themselves to... as nextphase says, sometimes it's thirst not hunger

and they are allowed free access to fruit too. DS2 is 5 and will come home and eat 6 pieces of fruit easily, and then his dinner!

if she's having a healthy diet and snacking on things that are good for her i wouldn't be overly concerned. you need to trust children to know when they are hungry and when they are full

BucketsnSpades Fri 13-Sep-13 13:46:09

My DS is also 4 and he has always been hungry, he could easily manage an adult size portion at any restaurant and he'll happily eat between meals too. This did affect his weight as he was eating so much. People kept saying he would grow out of his puppy fat but I was worried about it so in our house we try to stick to our healthy eating rules. So we all eat three healthy size meals per day, for anyone who is still hungry there are always second helpings available for fruit and veg, we also eat pudding after our evening meal. Nobody snacks, we don't have them in the house, we do have plenty of juice and water for between meals. If we do have chcolate it's a treat which is much appreciated and we try to save a bit for later. We also go to football, swimming, bike rides, long walks and any excuse to be active. My son still as a more than healthy appetite but I feel we're on top of it.

Our biggest issue is our friends and family who lavish edible treats on my DS and it makes me so cross that people will just give him a whole bag of crisps or a huge chocolate bar for no real reason. They all know my concerns, they know I reward with stickers and non edible treats yet still they insist on feeding him. It makes me so upset because each time this happens I then feel bad about giving him his pudding because I know I'm just unbalancing his healthy diet.

emmawattsbowen Sat 14-Sep-13 11:43:57

thanks so much mums she not over weight and drinks alots of water we have healthy snacks fruit veg we have puding after evning meals but she still wont stop worryed mummy she has 5 meals a day still going for fruit crisps anything she can get her hands on but she is on the go constant she dont stay still for 1 min maybe its that she on the go all the time shes not a good sleeper lucky to get 5 hours with her consurned she may. have adhd i so so hope not help me mums pls xxx

bundaberg Sat 14-Sep-13 12:03:29

If she isn't overweight, eats healthily and is very active I really wouldn't be limiting her intake. Obv not a good idea to allow lots of crisps and stuff but nothing wrong with healthy snacking.
Might be an idea to see your gp or health visitor with concerns about her sleeping. They should be able to advise

BucketsnSpades Sat 14-Sep-13 18:55:11

I'd be more concerned about her sleeping then, I need a good 10 hours a night, my hungry DS has between 10 and 12 hours. Sleep is very important do you have any idea what's stopping her? Does she drift off in the car during the daytime? That could indicate she's tired. I would speak to your health visitor about the sleep and your concerns about ADHD although my son gets hyperactive and generally uncontrollable when he's tired. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now