I want my finger back!

(4 Posts)
Neiffer Wed 11-Sep-13 13:59:54

Help needed! Ds2 is 9 weeks old and ebf. He really struggles to settle without sucking on my finger. I have tried every brand of dummy I can find and he just gags on them and cries. Finger sucking frequently would be fine except I have ds1 19 months old to look after too. Any advice? I tried refusing finger all day yesterday and he was hysterical at points so I broke. How can I get him to takes dummy?!

MisselthwaiteManor Thu 12-Sep-13 08:18:54

What happens if you give him your finger and do a quick swap to a dummy, ie push the dummy in same time as pulling the finger out? This is how we got the baby to take a bottle at first.

Neiffer Thu 12-Sep-13 10:54:50

That's generally what I'm doing. He has a chew then screams, on repeat. It's like he doesn't get you can suck it!

mumofboyo Fri 13-Sep-13 21:28:35

Have you tried putting it in his mouth and then gently, rhythmically tapping on it? That helped get dd to take it. She was really fussy too and never found her thumb/finger like ds did so got her onto a cherry tipped dummy and did the tapping thing. We gave it to her straight after her bottle (ff) so she wasn't hungry and trying desperately to get it to produce milk but was still in that sucking rhythm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now