Babies and evenings

(21 Posts)
Jennym9211 Wed 11-Sep-13 10:20:32

Hi all

Im a new mum i have a 9 week old lil girl, since having her weve had the same problem evenings after 5pm she wont let herself go to sleep even though shes tired she is quite inconsolable from 5-8 is this normal i thought it was wind so started giving her infacol it has helped but still have the same problem anybody else going through this thanks

PinkPepper Wed 11-Sep-13 10:32:20

It's completely normal. Does she settle with a feed? My son didn't used to go to sleep till quite late. I used to take him a walk 5/6 or I'd have gone mad.

Willothewhip Wed 11-Sep-13 10:33:22

I remember this very well with our DD. For us it started when she was about 2 weeks old and went on until she was about 12 weeks. Every evening from 5-10pm she was inconsolable. I do feel for you as I remember I came to dread the evenings. However, please be assured that it is REALLY common, so much so that it has been labelled the Purple Period.

Please don't worry. Your baby will grow out of it. Give her lots of cuddles and don't beat yourself up or medicate her. We bought noise cancelling earphones which helped our sanity! HTH and good luck.

bundaberg Wed 11-Sep-13 10:40:58

it's normal for babies to want to cluster feed in the evenings.
i'd just keep her with you, feed as much as she wants and then take her to bed when you go

lollipoppi Wed 11-Sep-13 11:23:01

Totally normal, we used to call it the witching hour! It does get better

Jennym9211 Wed 11-Sep-13 11:55:35

Thanks for getting back to me everyone, thats good to know that its normal its just very stressful. I also breastfeed which makes it harder in the evenings as she will just cry and wont go on my breast even though shes hungry. I express every morning so my partner can give her a bottle when she gets like it but shes still agitated afterwards. HV suggested colief anyone tried this and how do u use it?

duende Wed 11-Sep-13 12:49:29

My DD is a month old and exactly the same sad you should now see the light at the end of the tunnel though, a bit longer fr us.

She is breastfed and evening feeds are horrible. She fusses, pulls of the breast, screams, etc. I dread it. Last night it was 7-10pm. Similar most nights and it really gets me down.

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Wed 11-Sep-13 13:33:50

Don't know if you've already used it but kellymom is great for breastfeeding info. There's a page here about fussy babies which I found very useful.

Jennym9211 Wed 11-Sep-13 14:06:20

Im glad im not the only one im hoping it will end soon but who knows, i suppose the only thing that does keep me going is knowing that it wont last forever. I know she cant help it but its just very frustrating.

Smicha Wed 11-Sep-13 19:10:58

Totally normal! We had this with DS from about 5 weeks to about 12 weeks. And then it just stopped all of a sudden! He's a year now and I've almost forgotten how bad it was and am considering having another shock

What helped us was feeding with him lying on top of me...bit of an odd position and I couldn't get much done but MN and watch tv, but we would lie like that for hours and it kept him quiet. I think it was a tip I got from Kellymom, so I second the advice upthread to check out their site. He also liked it if I bounced on my birthing ball with him in my arms, that stopped the crying for a while!

Good luck! It might not feel like it but it really will pass soon.

Jennym9211 Wed 11-Sep-13 19:22:33

Duende have u tried expressing seems to help us a bit and gives me a 15 minute break. Its nice to know that were not the only ones going through it, weve resulted to bouncing up and down on the bed as it helps also brought a swing which can help sometimes.

spinaltap Wed 11-Sep-13 19:37:08

I have a 10 week old and she's only happy in the evening in the sling (usually outside, walking) or feeding lying on top of me. She usually feeds for around an hour. We're going to a dinner party this weekend, so not sure how that's going to work!!

spinaltap Wed 11-Sep-13 19:44:01

By the way, I think the lying back feeding thing works because it slows the milk supply down as it's going against gravity. The baby can then have a good long suck without getting too much milk. I know my dd prefers the side with the slower flow of an evening.

Also if she is really inconsolable we get in the bath together. A nice warm bath cuddling me really calms her down.

There's a book called BabyCalm which has lots of tips in. We have used almost all of them I think!

rinkydinker Wed 11-Sep-13 21:31:41

We downloaded a womb noises mp3 from a youtube channel
Go on youtube and type in baby womb noises and there is one you can download (if you goto the website of the person who put it youtube but the links are all there) sorry I hope that made sense...

rundontwalk Wed 11-Sep-13 21:40:31

I used to bounce on my birthing ball, carry my dd in a sling & used Colief. They all helped a bit & so did reading various things on Kellymom-it seems to be a totally normal stage. I think sometimes my dd was overtired so I tried to spot tired signs earlier in the day,& to be aware if optimum 'awake times' e.g 1.5hrs for this sort of age (from memory). Hard work though isnt it and all a bit trial & error!

MrFranklyShankly Thu 12-Sep-13 15:43:40

Hi Jenny my dd is also 9 weeks old and is exactly the same yesterday it was from 2pm until 8pm....she managed to sleep for about half an hour in between all that crying and managed to feed twice, whilst still crying (she is ff) eventually when she did settle I sat down and cried myself, it's really exhausting so I totally sympathise with you, yesterday was our worst day so far, usually it's normally only from 6pm to 9pm so yesterday was real teeth gritting was very glad to see this post, not in a nasty way, but in a 'we're normal then' way!!! So good to read about the purple period she's all smiles, well for the next few hours anyway!

Jennym9211 Thu 12-Sep-13 17:02:10

Ive got the opposite today shes been quite unsettled all day. Shes hardly had any naps which is why shes grouchy i suppose and she was quite unsettled in the night so today is particulary hard as im shattered been close to tears myself today. Downloaded a womb sound app as suggested above and i was amazed my daughter was calm for over an hour and she was able to feed off me with no fussiness, generally after 4/5 feeding gets difficult she will just fuss and cry and not latch on which is very stressful so think ill use the app until this phase is over which im hoping it will be soon. Def good to know its normal as it can get very frustrating and feels like your doing something wrong.

JRmumma Thu 12-Sep-13 17:07:46

So glad ive just seen this! Ive got an almost 5 week old and am going through this too. He is windy and in the past week we have spent a small fortune on an upright chair to sit home in after feeds and various new teats/bottles and now a comfort milk, all in an effort to help. But it seems like we might just have to grin and bear it for a while eh!

minipie Thu 12-Sep-13 21:33:29

if she's hardly napped in the day she'll be overtired which will make her screamy in the evening... it can get worse and worse so do whatever you can to get the naps in during the day (easier said than done i know)

Jackanory1978 Sat 14-Sep-13 19:17:10

Colief worked for us but is very fiddley if you're BF & also costs £10 a bottle. The chemist normally has it behind the counter so you have to ask for it, but you don't need a prescription.

The instructions say put 4 drops in 2 tablespoons of expressed milk & syringe it into baby. So before EVERY feed (see? Fiddley!) you hand express some milk into a sterilised pot, add the colief & suck it up into a sterile syringe. I didn't bother with 2 tablespoons, I just expressed enough to fill a 5 ml syringe.

Or put it into a bottle of ebm?

The idea is that newborns don't have enough lactase in their gut (the enzyme that breaks down lactose in milk), & excess lactose causes colic. So colief is concentrated lactase.

The colief MUST be mixed with ebm or formula to activate the enzyme, it won't work otherwise. I've heard of people putting it straight into babies mouths, or onto their own nipple (!) but those methods won't work.

I didn't bother if we were out somewhere though. Also I made up a syringe at about 10pm & kept it handy for night feeds (expressed milk can stay at room temp for 6 hrs). You can buy sterilisation bags that go in the microwave for 3 mins to sterilise the syringes etc.

After 3 months he outgrew his colic. We tried infacol & dentinox but they didn't work, gripe water was quite good, & he liked it!

Hope you get some sleep tonight.

I noticed with my second that she really wanted to be asleep by 6pm. So from 5.30pm, I would feed in almost pitch black with a white noise on and she would settle most of the time. As she got older her bedtime got a bit later as she could cope with being awake longer.

I also used a sling for the day to ensure she got plenty of sleep. By 5/6 months she was napping in a cot so it didn't set bad habits (now at 21 months she naps in the cot, in the pushchair, in the car and in a sling!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now