Bedding for cot

(12 Posts)
Haddock73 Wed 11-Sep-13 04:35:53

Thank you will I really like the verbaudet duvets.

Liveinthepresent Tue 10-Sep-13 18:08:34

Haddock I am looking into cot bed duvet for,my DD who is 2.5. I have decided I will not move her from the cot until DS 11 weeks sleeps through ( optimist!) unless she climbs/ becomes unsafe.
She is currently refusing to use the sleep bags as we stopped using them when it was too hot and now she realises how much they hamper her movement!
John Lewis sell cot bed stuff too but expect Vertbaudet will be cheaper - I may have a look there.

My only other suggestion was,have you tried different brands - I have a john Lewis,own brand bag and it is huge compared to others - might buy you some time if he is happy in them.

Verbaudet sell cot duvets and duvet-covers. Don't pay full-price though, there's always voucher codes knocking about if you google it.

mejon Tue 10-Sep-13 11:59:46

DD2 is 2.7 and still happily in her cot. She can get out if she wants but apart from one or two occasions, hasn't! She's in 18-36m sleeping bags with plenty of room as she's small for her age. When the weather was warmer and too hot for a sleeping bag she had a light quilt/eiderdown and slept quite happily under that. If your DS is happy enough in his cot, I'd leave him. I'm dreading moving mine to a bed tbh as I don't want to disrupt her sleep (or mine grin)

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Tue 10-Sep-13 11:51:50

Wouldn't bother with pillows until he's in a bed.

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Tue 10-Sep-13 11:51:05

Yes, if he's comfy and sleeping well just leave him. IME they feel quite insecure when the bars come off and your DS has enough change going on just now perhaps.

One of my regrets about moving DS was that I hadn't already taken him out of bags and got him used to a duvet before the sides came off, so I would recommend getting a single duvet and wrapping it around the mattress horizontally as above.

Haddock73 Tue 10-Sep-13 11:39:43

Thank you all, hp I was thinking the same too...my onl concern is his height but he shows no signs of escaping or climbing out. Shall i leave him there while he's comfortable and happy?

What should I do re:sleeping bags getting too small? Get a cotbed duvet for the cot? What about pillows? Do they need pillows? He moves around so much.

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Tue 10-Sep-13 11:29:07

Just recognised your name from the other thread haddock. DEFINITELY leave him in the cot!!! You have enough on your hands. My friends dd never showed signs of escaping and stayed in happily til 3yrs old.

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Tue 10-Sep-13 11:20:45

1. I moved DS just after his 2nd birthday when he tried to do a kamikaze dive out of it! Just took the sides off at first and then moved to full size single 3-4m later. If he shows no sign of jumping I'd really, really leave him there. It was 6 hellish weeks teaching DS that getting out of bed all evening was not a game. And he still comes in with a bright and breezy good morning at 5.30!
But you could very simply put a pressure gate in his own doorway. No drilling and safe as you like.

2. Guessing he's in a cotbed what I would recommend is buying a single size duvet and use it the other way round, so horizontally across the cot bed with half of it tucked under iyswim. Works well because it stays tucked if they're a wriggler and you don't need to buy new bedding when they move to a full single. But yes you can buy cot quilts, I just think they're not as good and get little use.

RoadToTuapeka Tue 10-Sep-13 11:18:49

My son, 2 yrs 8 months, is still in a cot. It's a good sized one, and he's small for his age - and he's been happy in a sleeping bag, no attempts to escape the cot in it!

However, we will get a bed soon as he's getting a little too big and not enough 'wriggle room' in his sleeping bag. He's also very keen on bedtime stories in a bed now, like all his story books show.

We had DS2 when DS1 just turned 2 and bedrooms were upstairs with steps between him and us, hence keeping him in a cot til now. But on a single floor now, and seems settled after arrival of baby, so that plus size issue prompting the bed rather than age per se.

Haddock73 Tue 10-Sep-13 11:16:47

Sorry should read"not able to fit a stairgate"

Haddock73 Tue 10-Sep-13 11:10:05

I have two questions really, hopefully you can help me:

1. How long did you toddler stay in a cot for?

ds1 is 2 and on the tall side, but still fits comfortably in cot. We are nae to valve a stairgate due to the nature of the stairs - nowhere to fix the gate, and could potentially fix a stairgate to the doorframe but as we are in reted accommodated and leaving in April, we're not inclined to change too much. If we bought a kids bed it wouldn't be safe for toddler yet as he cd Ve easily open the door and fall down the stairs, so I was hoping on keeping him in the cot until we moved, making him just over 2.5 years old. Is that too old for a cot?

2. Ds1 is in 18-36month sleeping bags, this works very well as he moves all around the cot when he sleeps. However he is on the tall side (99th centile) and starting to outgrow the sleeping bags.

What would I use as bedding? Do they sell quilts/duvets for cots?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now