DD wants a TV in her room!

(128 Posts)
Tw1nkle Sun 08-Sep-13 18:45:03

We're thinking about getting a tv for our DD's room.
We currently have Sky, and whilst I would like to get rid of it, it costs a small fortune it does have REALLY good parental controls.

If we keep sky, we can get multiroom for my DD's room, and use the great controls.

However - she will be 5 - is this too young - even with the parental controls? She's pretty good, and would only have it on when she is allowed.

Advice appreciated!

2kidsintow Mon 09-Sep-13 20:32:44

My 2 are now 8 and 12. They have never once been caught with the TV on when it shouldn't be. DD playing with her mobile phone was another matter

DH has the strategy that if they are using something when they shouldn't be, it goes in the loft for a week. smile

My don is nearly 4. He has a tv with built in DVD player. He can put a dvd in but he cant use remote.

I know its off as I turn it off when hes asleep. I go to the toilet and check. If hes asleep it goes off and if he isn't it stays on.

Some nights he just goes to bed with no TV as hes that tired. Once hes asleep that's it no waking up and if he should wake he comes and finds me any way.

It doesn't affect his sleep, he doesn't spend all day upstairs. Why would he? There's a perfectly good TV downstairs grin

I also have the TV playing in the back ground. He plays and watches it or we have music channels on. I cant cope with having no back ground noise when we are at home.

LegoDragon Mon 09-Sep-13 19:17:27

My DC have a TV in their rooms. It's nice for the and gives them down time, and has controls on. At night, when I check on them, I take out the plug thing completely from the TV and keep it in my room, but they're always asleep by then anyway- and it's not late when I check on them! They love the TV and don't watch too much. Spongebob and Dora are their favourites, they love watching some films for their age which we have too. They also read, draw and play. Having a TV means we can watch what we want and is good for me and the same as watching the main TV but we both get to watch what we want.

lljkk Mon 09-Sep-13 18:59:15

Mine are too devious for own good.

I think it depends on your DC lljkk. Once mine are asleep it's like waking the dead so they wouldn't wake up and put the TV on.

But they are of an age they take themselves to bed because they are tired and they want to go to sleep.

But even when they were small they didn't try to watch it all night, I don't think it occurred to them.

lljkk Mon 09-Sep-13 18:33:46

Honest question: how do you make sure the tv is off at night? Do you check the room frequently, say every 10-20 minutes all night? Is it turned off remotely? There is no way DC wouldn't have it on in middle of night if any opportunity presented itself.

Mind, as a child I used to watch 7+ hours of tv most days, think I wore out my quota coz I generally struggle to watch more than an hour a week in the last 3 decades.

My two went through a phase where they would come in from school, drop kick their bags into the hall and just go to the living room TV and switch it on.

I told them that wasn't acceptable. To just trawl through for something/anything to watch. Only put the TV on if there is something on IYKWIM.

BookWorm37 Mon 09-Sep-13 18:10:38

Sparkling- no worries.
I agree with the previous poster in that it is the amount of time spent watching the tv that is the more important issue rather than where it is watched.
I admit my children watch more tv than I'd ideally like them to.

2kidsintow Mon 09-Sep-13 18:06:38

I'm amused by the way some of the posts seem to infer that the mere act of having a tv in the bedroom ruins sleep quality.

My DDs have tvs in their rooms. They sleep well. Because they aren't allowed to have it on at night. I know some parents allow it (often for an easy ride at bedtime) but I'm not one of those parents. It's what you let your children do with the screens, when and for how long that determines the impact it will have on their sleep/schoolwork etc.

redlac Mon 09-Sep-13 18:01:09

All those saying TVs in bedroom affects good sleep, you do know that they switch off? It's not compulsory to have it switched on all the time. smile

I'm a bit hmm that just because there is a TV in a bedroom it means that it affects sleep and makes your child into a child who doesn't read, can't hold a conversation and that they are locked in there rooms getting square eyes - like everything, everything in moderation and as a parent I am in full control of her viewing habits whether in the living room or when watching Netflix in her room

Sorry Book, maybe I was feeling a bit like that was the case. I knew I would be in the minority, but got a bit defensive I suppose.

BookWorm37 Mon 09-Sep-13 17:50:30

Sparkling I agree that we all make decisions to suit our own families. People shouldn't assume though that those that choose not to allow tvs in their children's room are looking down their noses at those that do allow it.

Mung bean salad Dragons, every day since Reception. grin

The key words in your post Black are 'a lot'. My DC watch no more TV than anyone else, even though they have them in their room.

Plus, and I know this won't be popular but you can see things on the TV that you would never get to see in real life and learn stuff. It's not all cartoons and Disney channel. DS2 really likes a quiz show, and Perfection is his current favourite.

DragonsAreReal Mon 09-Sep-13 17:40:49

Yes of course children who watch tv never do anything else ever! Their whole poor lives consist of waking up watching tv then going to bed watching tv.... <clutches pearls>

BlackMogul Mon 09-Sep-13 17:36:53

I have noticed that children in my extended family who watch a lot of television on their own have a lack of things to talk about. Same goes for video games. They are not naughty, difficult or not good at school work , but they have very limited general knowledge because no one takes them anywhere or shows them anything. It is too easy to sit in front of the telly or play the games on the computer,o r even watch other people who have got good scores on the games. apparently this is possibe. Such a shame when there is so much else to do. Every child needs some down time and enjoyment, but I have noticed that advertising to young children is powerful because children do not have the experience to be discerning. There can be behaviour issues when the child is asked to stop watching/ playing. I also think it s wrong that children are given complete control over what they watch when they are young. Being a parent means being unpopular occasionally.

DragonsAreReal Mon 09-Sep-13 17:36:35

Noo sparkling are you saying you don't cram lentils and chickpeas into lunch boxes shock

usualsuspect Mon 09-Sep-13 17:36:11

Or kids only drinking water or milk.

or 'crisps in the lunchbox' usual.

Well we haven't got a second room downstairs, if we did we would have the PS3/telly in there-that would be great.

usualsuspect Mon 09-Sep-13 17:34:20

It's,a very MN thing, this no TV thing.

Nearly as bad as the .'I own a million books' thread.

DragonsAreReal Mon 09-Sep-13 17:32:50

Not everybody has a dining room/playroom/study/den(boak)/big enough kitchen for an extra tv in another room thats not a bedroom.

Not everyone on MN is middleclass wanabee upper....

Nope Bookworm, it doesn't seem to have made any difference to them. Sorry about being sarky, I am a bit bewildered about it all.

In my experience they have both had a TV in their bedroom for years and it has never ever caused a problem, it really hasn't.

As with everything we all make decisions to suit our families, and that's what we did.

BookWorm37 Mon 09-Sep-13 17:20:25

Sparkling and SPs why can't you just give your view and experience like everyone else has. Your sarcasm and passive aggressive 'humour' comes across as being defensive. Do you regret letting your DC have tvs in their rooms?

KatoPotato Mon 09-Sep-13 17:15:25

While I was getting ready for work this morning DS was sat on my bed watching tv. I usually put something on Iplayer but noticed bert and ernie was on channel 5 so I left the TV on...

Within five minutes some adverts came on, something about a Cars racing track, but the super fast voice over and quick editing had him almost hypnotised! It was scary!

Noo SPs all children with TVs in their bedrooms watch it all night every night without fail you are wrong. They are naughty and don't understand 'turn the TV off'. Allegedly. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now