Should I give her her cuddly toy back?

(63 Posts)
SilverBellsandCockleShells Mon 02-Sep-13 20:10:45

My seven-year-old daughter has, pretty much since birth, only gone to sleep with the aid of a specific soft toy. We spotted her attachment at an early age and bought in several spares but sadly only the original was ever good enough!

A week ago, we went on holiday which involved an overnight stay at a hotel near the airport and a very early start. In our haste to get our flight, her toy, let's call it Hippo, remained tucked up in bed and got left behind. His absence wasn't noted until we reached our destination, several hours later.

After a few initial tears, she settled down to sleep OK and the rest of the week was spent without a mention of the lost Hippo. On the flight back home, she asked if we'd go back to the hotel and get him but we didn't really have time. First night home we had a few more wobbles bit again she slept fine and has now admitted she doesn't really need Hippo or any of his friends to get to sleep.

In the meantime, I have spoken to the hotel, who have tracked down her cuddly toy and are sending it back to me shortly. Question is, when I get it back do I give it to her and risk regression or allow her the joy of being reunited?

I know it's a minor problem but I can't decide what to do!

TIA

smile

MirandaWest Fri 06-Sep-13 13:26:36

smile

SilverBellsandCockleShells Fri 06-Sep-13 13:18:43

You'll all be pleased to know that my daughter and her 'Hippo' have now been reunited.

mitchsta Thu 05-Sep-13 11:44:23

Definitely give it back. My other half still has his fave childhood toy tucked up in bed at his mum's and he turns 30 this month. It's a horrible, grubby thing, but he loves it!

Incidentally, I did ask him "WHAT is that?!" when I first saw it and he calmly replied "Cuddling Ted" - no question that it wouldn't be around for all eternity. I'm just glad he doesn't insist on moving it in with us.

Also, my cousin didn't think twice about taking his childhood teddy, Edward, to uni with him. Some people just don't want to let them go.

Cocodale Wed 04-Sep-13 00:12:34

Yes give it back to her my 18 yr old daughter still sleeps with her special teddy, no harm in it what so ever x

mummyxtwo Tue 03-Sep-13 19:17:47

Give it back! Every childhood deserves a sweet moment like being reunited with a lost beloved teddy. I am 34yo and still remember the sadness of losing my Purple Teddy in a supermarket when I was a girl! There is nothing wrong with being attached to soft toys - it's sweet and innocent, and we shouldn't be trying to hasten innocence away, IMO.

flossymuldoon Tue 03-Sep-13 17:36:43

Give it back. It's mean to keep it from her.

I had yellow baby when I was little and was traumatised if I couldn't fin her. My earliest memory of me standing in my cot as yellow baby had fallen out.

After many years without anything I have had goggy for about 10 years. I love him. I never take him out of the house for fear of losing him!!

LillyofWinchester Tue 03-Sep-13 14:20:36

Maybe is she's seen how easily it can be lost on holiday you could persuade her not to need it when she next stays away from the home? Just remind her of the time it got lost. Or when it gets returned put a little note with it that says "please keep me in your bed from now on, I don want to get lost again"

nickelbabe Tue 03-Sep-13 14:12:34

yes, you're right, i misread it

SoupDragon Tue 03-Sep-13 13:34:29

As I understand it, there was no problem with taking him on sleepovers other than the fact he wasn't there when spur of the moment ones were arranged.

nickelbabe Tue 03-Sep-13 13:24:49

i still don't see the problem with taking him on sleepovers.

but you could use the "what happened last time we took him away?" as an argument against her taking him out of the house.

Floggingmolly Tue 03-Sep-13 13:16:33

grin choccy

Aw yay to hippo reunion. Hope he makes it back ok. I can't bare the thought of all my old teddies being lost and alone like that blush

I don't think an attachment is an issue. I mean its not like a funny or a thumb which causes problems with teeth. It's a friend your dd will have to cuddle and talk to when she is ill or upset. Helps them feel secure smile

choccyp1g Tue 03-Sep-13 12:59:51

My 12 yr old DS still has his special rabbit too.

choccyp1g Tue 03-Sep-13 12:58:51

should have put a grin there.

choccyp1g Tue 03-Sep-13 12:58:25

Floggingmolly You put her special rabbit in a cage you brute.

Floggingmolly Tue 03-Sep-13 12:52:36

Of course! My 12 year old still has her special rabbit...
I put it in one of those box frames and hung it in her wall, but she took it back out and it sleeps in her bed.

SilverBellsandCockleShells Tue 03-Sep-13 12:46:04

I guess now she's proved she can cope without it, there's no harm in giving it back. So long as I can persuade her she doesn't always need it. The only harm it does it the permanent hassle of ensuring we have 'Hippo' with us every time we go away, etc. She's been invited on inpromptu sleepovers before and not wanted to go because she didn't have it, so a little bit of independence can do no harm!

Thanks for all the advice, turns out I'm on the meanie side for even contemplating withholding it! Maybe I'll let her open the parcel when we get it back ...

(I haven't told her the hotel have found it yet, just in case!)

SoupDragon Tue 03-Sep-13 11:51:01

I see you've decided to give it back smile

FWIW, I think it's important because f the memories involved. All the things she's done, seen and experienced when "Hippo" has been there.

gourd Tue 03-Sep-13 11:50:03

Yes of course! Hippo has had an adventure on her own and will need to share it with your DD! It wont make any diffeence- he not going to still need a teddy when she is 30.

rrreow Tue 03-Sep-13 11:48:15

And said cuddly toy now lives on a shelf in my wardrobe. I'm really glad I still have it.

rrreow Tue 03-Sep-13 11:47:12

Yes, give it back.

I remember once losing my cuddly toy and learning to sleep without it. Then months later I found it (it was rolled up in a sleeping bag) and I was SO happy. I think I was about 8 at the time.

Fifi2406 Tue 03-Sep-13 11:17:55

And I took him to uni!

Fifi2406 Tue 03-Sep-13 11:16:43

I still sleep with my bunny that I've had from birth if I lost it I would be so upset give it back don't be mean! No harm in her having it!smile

miffybun73 Tue 03-Sep-13 11:12:03

Yes, definitely give it back.

I'm 40 and still have my Snoopy, I'd be devastated if I ever lost him blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now