The puberty talk for a 7yo

(15 Posts)
Hawkmoth Fri 23-Aug-13 07:12:48

Oh that's good to hear. Hopefully she will follow the same sort of pattern. She doesn't seem overly bothered about what we've talked about so far.

chickensaladagain Fri 23-Aug-13 07:08:34

My dd was showing obvious signs of puberty just before 8 but didn't start her periods until a week before her 12th birthday so please don't panic

Hawkmoth Fri 23-Aug-13 06:00:44

Although, because of my ongoing issues with the teaching of the American alphabet song in schools, DD did note that she wasn't American and I had to convince her that it still applied.

Hawkmoth Fri 23-Aug-13 05:59:23

All three books arrived and the American Girl book is probably the most suitable for a youngish seven year old. Very chipper and cheerful with very cartoony non-threatening illustrations.

Hawkmoth Wed 14-Aug-13 09:04:25

Yesterday she had spilt something down herself and we told her to to clean it off... She didn't even know where her thigh was!

It's frightening isn't it, but perfectly normal. I don't think it's classed as precocious puberty unless it happens at 5/6 though worth a visit to your GP to check.

Just because some things have started, doesn't mean everything is going to happen early.

I am concentrating on helping dd find her inner Yoda to help with the moods.

Hawkmoth Mon 12-Aug-13 20:55:34

Budding and surrounding area starting to fill out, waist, sweating and big drama tantrums. She's also grown about four inches this year and her facial features are all of a sudden too big for her face. It's all a bit much with a new baby as well.

What signs have you seen Hawkmoth? Dd is 8 and a half and I noticed a tiny bit of pubic hair about a month ago, also she was a bit whiffy under the arms on exceptionally hot days.

Scary isn't it.

IceCreamForCrow Mon 12-Aug-13 20:07:02

This one is very good for younger girls.

exexpat Mon 12-Aug-13 19:59:11

I got the What's Happening to Me one for DD when she was about 6 (I was buying the boy's version for her elder brother so thought I might as well get both) and she has dipped into it off and on since then.

She is very tall and well developed for her age, got first pubic hair at just turned nine, so I have been talking periods etc with her a lot since then, expecting them to start at any time, but she's now 10.10 and still hasn't started. She might even make it to 11 - I was 11.8. It might not be as imminent as you think - hope the doctor is reassuring.

Hawkmoth Mon 12-Aug-13 19:52:51

I've ordered both. Need them to arrive and me to be brave enough to open discussions before we see GP a week on Friday.

DorisIsWaiting Mon 12-Aug-13 19:50:42

I used the what's happening book for dd1 (just turned 8) she's using it to dip in and out of then come and ask questions.

Hawkmoth Mon 12-Aug-13 18:48:29

Thank you. She's so young for her age... I'm not ready!

I got this for dd age 8 and also this one The first one is very gentle and more than suitable for a 7 year old, the other one is a little more detailed.

Hawkmoth Mon 12-Aug-13 15:42:52

sad

Anyone have any good resources for talking about puberty with DD? Thought I had a couple more years to prepare myself, but not looking like it. A book would be good if such a thing exists for one so young.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now