It is *NEVER* ok to leave a child in a car unattended [Warning added by MNHQ - upsetting video]

(54 Posts)
Chibault Sat 03-Aug-13 03:03:43

Just watched this. http://www.upworthy.com/anyone-could-make-this-mistake-the-fact-it-happens-all-the-time-is-frightening

A past neighbour used to leave her children in the car on a fairly busy street, unattended, locked, with window down slightly, to sleep. She would be in the house, (which had no drive way), so the car was parked somewhere 'nearish' the house. She would pop out every so often to check them. If you do this I want you to know - it is NEVER ok to leave them alone.

Mumsnetters - what do you think?
To me, it's neglect.

My dad was a policeman for many years and dealt with the deaths of children who had been left in the cars unattended, because of things like unexpected fires, overheating. When I had a child, he explained to me how dangerous this was and to NEVER do this.

Really I just have to say, especially because of the recent hot weather - please if you're someone who does this, even when the car is on your driveway - it's not ok, unless you are with the child.

Eyesunderarock Tue 06-Aug-13 11:39:32

It's a public information film from the USA about the dangers of leaving babies and toddlers in a car in the heat, and the fact that they can die within 15 minutes.
Obviously it is less relevant if you are thinking of Hampstead, 60 degrees and parked under a tree, or if you live inside the Arctic circle, but children do die every year in these situations.
In the USA the death toll is hundreds a year.
I was a child in the 60s and 70s. PIF were designed to scare the shit out of you and make you take the threat seriously. Yes, the film is distressing.

Caster8 Tue 06-Aug-13 11:40:41

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_fire

The 2 in 1000 includes arson which includes joyriders setting vehicles alight.
So I assume it is all vehicle fires.

Rooners Tue 06-Aug-13 11:59:07

Thankyou Eyes. That's really helpful. I will still have an inner fight with myself as to whether to watch it or not, but thankyou for the information - much appreciated.

Rooners Tue 06-Aug-13 12:07:22

I've skimmed it. Without sound.

It was distressing but not as much as I feared - I think the fact the child passed out made it less horrible that it might have been. I think there are worse scenarios, where the child does not just slip into unconsciousness. The first woman was clearly concerned but didn't raise the alarm.

It makes it clear how much we MUST take it seriously if we see a child in a car.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now