Ella's Kitchen - how bad are they?

(35 Posts)
delilah88 Thu 01-Aug-13 16:43:58

We've been using a few recently for convenience and DD quite likes them but [super-dense question her] I don't understand how they last for so long if they don't contain preservatives? There's a brekkie one that says it has 47% yoghurt -- but how could that work out of the fridge?

Could some bright spark tell me please, and if they're generally bad for baby or not.

picnicfantasic Sat 03-Aug-13 21:38:56

To answer a couple of posters, I saw in the latest Jojo Maman Bebe catalogue that they sell the re-useable pouches along with a machine thingy to fill them smile

(nothing helpful to add re ella's pouches though)

debbie1412 Fri 02-Aug-13 23:20:44

Dd has fresh fruit all day and a Ella's pouch for dinner. She's a healthy happy 9 month old baby. I relentlessly steamed puréed froze in pots for my first born. I just havnt got that time anymore. So far can not see any diff in their growth and development. Tbh as long as your not feeding them macdonalds and sweets. I'm sure it's fine x

redwellybluewelly Fri 02-Aug-13 23:01:53

Just as an aside my 3yo adores them and we call them smoothies, she can't have dairy (makes her sick) and often when we're out and about and her friends are having milkshakes or icecreams they are a fantastic alternative which I can keep in my bag. I buy them on offers only due to cost - another call to find out where the reusable ones come from!

minipie Fri 02-Aug-13 10:23:18

I don't think they taste too bad, though not as nice as homemade. And they don't all taste identical either (agree though that none of them taste really really strong)

The heat treatment will destroy quite a bit of nutritional value. However so will cooking/freezing/microwaving to defrost any homemade food.

I use them when out, it's not as good nutritionally as purely home made but on the other hand it means she's getting exposure to more variety of foods.

I do think their purées are way smoother than homemade though, that's the main downside IMO.

OneLittleToddleTerror Fri 02-Aug-13 09:06:00

I remember reading a study saying that the jars and pouches lack micronutrients.

But obviously it's like takeaway. Fine in moderation. And tbh, even if you eat it everyday, you'll be fine!

However I do agree they taste rank. And PassTheCremeEggs some people do cook every meal. And we didn't do purees. When eating out, I didn't use the pouches either. DD just ate what we have.

ineedtogetoutmore Fri 02-Aug-13 09:01:54

Meant to add my ds will eat anything too he isn't a fussy eater at all he's one and ate pesto pasta for lunch yesterday and curry the day before so I don't agree that they only make babies want to eat bland food long term

ineedtogetoutmore Fri 02-Aug-13 08:59:04

My dc loved ellas kitchen food and when I first started weaning him, he much preferred that to the mush I was cooking for him. In the end I just gave him ellas kitchen all the the time for the first few week until I started finger foods and I'm not ashamed to admit it
[Grin]
Ps the foods last so long because theyre pasturised

There fine if you use them as they are meant to be used. But as a pp just said too often and it can lead to problems accepting the natural variations in fresh food. The base ingredients of these things tend to be the same don't they? So even different flavours will contain many of the same things.

Home made is nearly always better obviously.

TempusFuckit Fri 02-Aug-13 08:40:36

As an occasional convenience there's nothing wrong with them - or any jar food.

It would be potentially more problematic if that was all you fed your baby. Because they're deliberately made to all taste identical, you are at risk of setting up an aversion to anything new (and if you only used the Ella's range, this would be a bigger risk as it's fairly limited meal-wise).

A friend's nearly-3-year-old will now only eat Ella's pouches for dinner. Must cost them a fortune ...

BettyandDon Fri 02-Aug-13 08:19:35

I don't think it's that much cheaper to make your own.

I bought 2 large pears (to purée) the other day and they were 74p each! An Ella pouch of pear and something was about 90p and probably contains more than 1 pear when puréed. Just saying!

I think my 8 month old is biting a lot as she wants more real food rather than purees. But other than that I don't have a problem with pouches. I am a terrible cook though and don't often have a lot of store cupboard type items in the house.

ThisIsYourSong Fri 02-Aug-13 08:13:30

I asked the nutritionist about them, she said they will still get all the vitamins and nutritional value from the fruit and veges, just not the fibre

Passmethecrisps Thu 01-Aug-13 20:43:14

My cooking must be awful blush

Honestly, the stuff I have made is fine but I genuinely wouldn't say it tasted much better than the EK stuff.

In an ideal world I will be feeding my baby my own food. In the meantime she can eat some pouch food

SunnyIntervals Thu 01-Aug-13 20:41:12

Fresh food that you cook will be better and when i tasted one of the Ella's kitchen range I thought it was disgusting - chicken casserole one iirc. Won't do damage as such, though.

lola88 Thu 01-Aug-13 20:29:26

DS still eats the fruit ones for a snack if we're out and he's hungry and ate them lots when he was small

BlueSprite Thu 01-Aug-13 19:55:40

My 'baby' is now 3, and had a lot of pouches until he was about 2, especially the vegetable mixed with fruit ones. They were great - so convenient and a godsend when travelling or when he was feeling under the weather. He now eats very healthily (am scared this might change when he starts school though!)

I never bothered with the yoghurt ones though. I mixed Rachel's Kitchen fruit yoghurt with natural Greek yoghurt to make it a bit less over-poweringly sweet.

scottishmummy Thu 01-Aug-13 19:52:15

They're really useful when out,on move
Good as just in case in your bag
Still cheaper to cook own food,costs pennies compared to pouch

hazeyjane Thu 01-Aug-13 19:50:25

dyslexicdespot - where did you get your reusable pouches from, if you don't mind me asking?

In the past I have resorted to scissors and parcel tape - messy!

shufflehopstep Thu 01-Aug-13 19:49:11

They're fine and as others have said are most likely heat treated to extend their shelf life. Although they do all taste pretty much the same to me, we've used those or organix ones since I went back to work 2 months ago and DD seems to really enjoy them.

Angelico Thu 01-Aug-13 19:43:11

The 10 month plus spag bol is really nice! They are v handy when we are having a takeaway or something unsuitable for her to eat e.g. frozen pizza.

Passmethecrisps Thu 01-Aug-13 19:40:02

I agree arabella. I think that's the one I would happily have on toast.

ArabellaBeaumaris Thu 01-Aug-13 19:38:40

I LOVE their vegetable lentil bake blush

Passmethecrisps Thu 01-Aug-13 19:37:22

I use them regularly at the moment as my 8.5 month old is a reluctant eater. It wasn't my plan but hay ho. I have tasted every one I give her and I actually think a lot of them taste pretty good. I genuinely have no problem with them.

I am, however, just delighted when she eats anything so I am maybe not the best to judge.

PassTheCremeEggs Thu 01-Aug-13 19:34:51

Unless you cook fresh for your baby every day they're no worse than your (probably) frozen and defrosted purées/meals. They're heat treated to keep them fresh which I believe has no worse an effect on nutrients than freezing. I used them for ages when I was first pregnant with DC2 and was so sick I couldn't face cooking - DD loved them and they made my life a whole lot easier. What's not to like?

LoganMummy Thu 01-Aug-13 19:30:45

They are pasturised so last a long time.

tomatoplantproject Thu 01-Aug-13 19:16:03

They are vacuum packed and heated to blast nasties away. Think they are great - dd is really difficult with food and I am far less emotional giving her ready made than slaving away over purees and then chucking them away. I have progressed to only using them when out and about. I should have shares!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now