Baby will be 6 months in 3 days- I offered some baby rice today, was this the wrong thing to do?

(71 Posts)
MrsPercyPig Fri 26-Jul-13 19:48:28

Since baby is not exactly 6 months? Sorry if this is a ridiculous question!

Ds just ate it, screwed face up a bit at first but it was fine.

My question is, what next- do I just keep going with rice for a week or so and then introduce a new food?

Have I early weaned but not waiting longer?

blush

KingRollo Fri 26-Jul-13 20:14:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsPercyPig Fri 26-Jul-13 20:16:28

I don't mean to be irritating rollo I just want to get this right.

Rosa Fri 26-Jul-13 20:16:41

I found with baby rice I added mashed puree of fruit then introduced veges mashed in.. I also gave bits for her to hold/ chew My dd1 hated lumps and BLW , adored a spoon right from the word go. Dd2 loved purees , blw , lumps the lot ..so just go with what you and your baby are comfortable IMO.

KingRollo Fri 26-Jul-13 20:18:31

SirBoobAlot Fri 26-Jul-13 20:20:12

Feeding him baby rice once does not mean you got it wrong. However, it's worth skipping it from now on; there really is nothing in it.

Feed him whichever meal works for you first. All this "Introduce X meal first, the Y meal Z days later..." is bollocks.

IsThatTrue Fri 26-Jul-13 20:21:07

I tasted baby rice and it was pretty bland tbh but not disgusting as such, no taste, weird texture.

They can eat pretty much anything. Start with fruit and veg, then add carbs and protein after a while.

Giving sweet things will not make them have a sweet tooth, so don't worry. Even if they prefer sweet stuff at this age, it's not the end of the world!

QTPie Fri 26-Jul-13 20:21:59

Age wise he is fine, but baby rice is really ick - did you try it? My line with feeding my child is that I won't feed him anything that I wouldn't eat myself... And I wouldn't eat baby rice.

Start moving on to something much nice ;)

MrsPercyPig Fri 26-Jul-13 20:23:05

Thanks.

Can I puree blueberries? Last question for a while!

IsThatTrue Fri 26-Jul-13 20:24:20

Yes you can purree what you like, but maybe give baby a few to try and eat raw too smile

noelstudios Fri 26-Jul-13 20:26:06

Good god, what happened to doing your own research by searching for information already out there from a myriad of sources on most topics?

KingRollo Fri 26-Jul-13 20:26:21

KingRollo Fri 26-Jul-13 20:26:43

maja00 Fri 26-Jul-13 20:28:12

I don't think it really matters what you give at 6 months - just avoid salt, whole nuts and honey.

Don't puree food - there's no need and you will just have to work back up to lumps and then solids later. Either just mash up what you're having (so long as it's not salty) or give finger foods.

Also be cautious with choking hazards - fat blueberries are windpipe shaped, as are grapes. Nuts, raw apple, raw carrot that could be bitten off are too - stick to soft foods at first like roast veg.

MrsPercyPig Fri 26-Jul-13 20:31:43

noel the purpose of mumsnet is to talk with experienced mums and ask for advice (amongst many other things)

Perhaps you are on the wrong forum?

There is a hide button, if you don't like a particular topic!

HTH

SirBoobAlot Fri 26-Jul-13 20:35:59

Noel, don't be a tit.

lifesobeautiful Fri 26-Jul-13 20:37:57

They often screw up their faces with new foods! You should get a weaning book to help you know what to give and when. Annabel Karmel is brilliant. Baby rice is really good for mixing with other things like fruit and veggies. Good luck.

noelstudios Fri 26-Jul-13 20:41:35

Seriously, though, really? Perhaps I should be on the drunk thread. But really?

SirBoobAlot Fri 26-Jul-13 20:45:48

How long ago was it since you had a little baby, were starting all the new things, and worrying about getting it 'right', Noel? People post about all sorts of things on here.

MrsDeVere Fri 26-Jul-13 20:46:33

Baby rice is fine and won't hurt him. he is practicing eating. You can mix it with yummy stewed fruits.

I would go carefully with the blueberries. Great food but can cause upset tummy if your baby is sensitive anything acidic like that I would give in very small doses at first.

Bananas are great if you are nervous about solid food.

MrsDeVere Fri 26-Jul-13 20:48:41

Blimey Noel.
It is rather the point of MN to ask questions about children.

I am years and years and tons of kids down the line but I can remember when DC1 was tiny and I didn't know squat without asking.

No internet then. I had to read those bloody awful magazines and listen to SILs who told me that it was time to give the baby carnation milk and cod liver oil hmm

noelstudios Fri 26-Jul-13 20:54:37

My twins are still under two, it is more that I've spent all day having people at work come to me with simple questions, the answers to which were readily available elsewhere if only they had looked... And then I come on MN, hoping to find some perving thread about what Ed Balls would be like in the sack, and its just like being at work. There are questions and there are questions... Maybe it's just me, but whenever I've had an obvious mumsnet question, I use the search function and find the thousands of previous threads, and nearly always find the answer....

noelstudios Fri 26-Jul-13 20:58:21

Maybe I should be more discerning about the 'most active' tab... Doesn't always guarantee classic intrigue and belly laughs. Op, I'm sure your baby will enjoy food of one variety or another, good luck!

Ethlinn Fri 26-Jul-13 21:07:24

OP, I started weaning a few weeks ago (just before 6 months) and DS is the happiest baby ever now! I still use baby rice - I mix it with all sorts of fruit for his breakfast and we're doing a mixture of spoon feeding and BLW. I feed him a bit and he also gets loads of things to try and grab and chew on himself. So far mango and broccoli seem to be his favourite. I just give him slices of fruit and veg (all nice and soft) and he picks them up and sometimes puts in his mouth or everywhere else.
I am no expert, but I have been giving him pretty much everything me and OH are having. I love cooking and he gets to try most of the things I make, I only mash them up a bit with a fork or give him little bits as finger food. My HV says it's fine.
HTH

MrsDeVere Fri 26-Jul-13 21:07:57

I wandered into something last week because of Active convos.
It wasn't pretty....

Tee2072 Fri 26-Jul-13 21:17:45

Noel, there are no stupid questionsor limits to the mumbers of threads started on MN. There are rude answers, however.

My son, BTW, loved baby rice. And everything else!

You're doing fine, OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now