When does a routine appear?

(6 Posts)
lilystem Tue 16-Jul-13 17:45:34

Hi.

I have a five and a bit month old. He's bf on demand (normally 6 ish feeds in a 24hr period) and sleeps fairly well. On a good night we get a good 7 hour stretch from 7pm.

The only routine I have is that anywhere between 6pm and 7pm we'll change him, bath every other night, story, feed and bed.

When does the rest of the day fall in to a routine? (Please tell me it does!!) Today for example he had 2 1.5 hour naps and one half hour nap but yesterday he only slept for 45 mins all day. I tend to just follow his cues based on sort of eat/activity/sleep/activity routine. It just totally changesevery day!

Does weaning help? Is it worth trying to enforce a routine and if so at what age?

HearMyRoar Tue 16-Jul-13 19:02:34

Dd was also bf on demand and I found routine appeared after weaning. Once she was on a good 3 meals a day around 7 months old everything sort of fell into place around that. In the end when she did insist on set times for food and naps I was a little put out as I had got used to being more flexible. You can't win sometimes grin

From about 6/7 months with solids and dropping to 2 naps.

Purplecatti Tue 16-Jul-13 19:37:16

8 months here and still waiting...

Babouche Tue 16-Jul-13 19:47:50

I'm bf my 3rd on demand and the only routine that has evolved is bedtime.Bath at 9 after the older 2 then bf again in front of TV,in cot at about 10.30.Sleeps until 7 most nights.
With my older 2 a daytime routine developed as they were weaned and was also influenced by them being more mobile and tiring themselves out so after 7-8m it was roughly;
morning activity,nap,lunch,activity,nap,play,tea,bath,sleep.
At 11months they were napping after lunch only,as it fitted in with childminder/nursery arrangements.

GiveMeVegemite Tue 16-Jul-13 20:19:10

14 months and still waiting.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now