Car seats

(19 Posts)
Kafri Sun 14-Jul-13 08:28:16

DS is 7m and 20lb so am looking into options for when he moves up a seat. He's still in his baby seat now and still fits size wise but had always hated it as he has reflux and hates to be laid back.

So,do I go rear facing or forward facing til 4yrs.

A friend of mine has the kiddicare ff and has been happy with it. Another friend spent a lot more on a maxi cosy ff and swears by that and another friend is horrified by any parent who puts their child ff and spent 350 on a rf seat.

On one hand, I haven't got a 'spare' 350 to spend but on the other hand, of that's the one I need then I'll just have to find the 350

I've read some of the reviews on here but just wondered how some of you mums made your choice.

Caitycat Sun 14-Jul-13 08:36:40

I think I would try and keep him rear facing at least until he's one. I asked for advice on this in a shop and they were very clear that it's dangerous to forward face before then. They can stay in the first seat until they're 13 kilos

Kafri Sun 14-Jul-13 08:40:39

Yeah I was planning on leaving him in it as long as I can. Just wanted to check out my options so I'm not forced into a quick buy at the last minute.

5madthings Sun 14-Jul-13 08:42:57

Well the law is chamging so that babies have to stay rf until 15mths.

Rf is safer.

You say he doesnt like being flat but sureltly he usnt flatbin the babyseat? He isnt too big until his head is at the top of the seat or he is over the weight limit.

Which have just done their review of carseats. I would look at that and then you know what not to buy!

What type of car do you have? That can affect what seats will fit.

5madthings Sun 14-Jul-13 08:43:55

And yes good idwa to do your research when you have the time smile

Kafri Sun 14-Jul-13 12:17:48

5 no he's not flat as such but certainly reclined more than he can cope with. When is the law due to change?

Oh and we have a corsa. It's a 62 plate if the model makes any difference.

5madthings Sun 14-Jul-13 12:20:03

I saw something about it the other day but it only applies to certain new car seats? It was a confusing read will try and find a link.

I would get a britax first class if I were you, they are not as expensive as an extended rf seat. They are a combination seat so will go rf until 15kg and they are pretty upright so won't bother his reflux.

5madthings Sun 14-Jul-13 12:44:18
YoniBottsBumgina Sun 14-Jul-13 12:48:14

The current seats won't be fazed out for another 5 years so no rush - but the new standard seats will start to become available in the next few months.

If he's uncomfortable being so reclined it might be worth getting a rear facing seat which is more upright, which would be either an ERF seat (you can get them cheaper than 350!) Or something like the britax first class which takes you rf until 13kg regardless of size

JBrd Sun 14-Jul-13 12:57:10

You can get rear-facing cat seats for less than £350! We have the Britax 2-Way Elite, and it was about £180 (with accessories). Have a look at the In Car Safety website, lots of great info there, and if you are anywhere close to one of their branches, I'd highly recommend to go and see them.

HappyAsASandboy Sun 14-Jul-13 13:06:05

If you can find the money, I would recommend the Britax Two Way Elite at approx £220. It will keep your DC rear facing until 25kg. Rear facing is a lot safer than forward facing.

If you can't find the £220 then I would go for a Joie Stages from Babies R Us at about £150. It would keep your DC rear facing to 18kg and then turns forward facing until 25kg. If you don't have the £150, then the Britax First Class Plus is about £90 from Kiddicare and will at least keep your DC rear facing until 13kg.

It is also dependant on which seats will fit your car well. It is vital that the seat fits well. There are some lovely (and very very knowledgeable) ladies at the In Car Safety Centre in Milton Keynes who could advise you either in person or on the phone, and they do mail order too, if you are wanting to fit a seat/car combination that they know will work.

Happy hunting!

Gooders79 Sun 14-Jul-13 13:27:16

We really wanted to keep ds1 rf for as long as poss as they are undoubtedly safer but ended up ff. considerations for us were;
Passenger seat position (rf sears tend to take up a lot of room)
Fitting complexity limited ability to transfer between cars or to remove and replace quickly and easily
Cost
We went to a fitting centre, trialled a few then made our decision. Still managed to keep ds1 rf in his maxi cosi cabriofix until 13 mo I think despite being a big boy .

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Mon 15-Jul-13 13:53:33

Agree with above that with a happy complaint baby rf is safest.

BUT, and it's a big but, with a baby who screams non-stop rf it's definitely safest to switch. It's so hard to concentrate on driving with a screaming child. DS screamed in the car from day 1 (he was refluxy too but car seat not v reclined) and even on journeys of a couple of hours, he'd never fall asleep, just scream. Broke my heart. He was a big and tall baby, we switched to ff at 8 months. Instant relief. Happy smiling baby. Much safer driver.

Rf not always best if its more likely to land you up in a crash. If your baby is happy rf then definitely keep them that way.

CatsRule Mon 15-Jul-13 22:20:52

I have a combi seat with isofix that allows rear facing until 13kg plus it has extended leg room (aparently). It is alsi quite a bit more upright than the group 0 seats. It's a safety 1st primeofix, same manufacturers as maxi cosi. Think it was about £200 ish but lasts until approx 4yr old.

My ds is 16.5 months and is still rear facing as not heavy enough...mine is a min of 9kg to go forward facing, but I plan to keep him rear facing as long as safe to do so.

MiaowTheCat Tue 16-Jul-13 08:52:19

DD1 hated her infant carrier - moved her to the britax first class (quite often there are offers on this if you keep your eye open and cynically exploit price matching deals) and she suddenly became much happier in the car - we moved her quite early on since she hated the infant carrier so much (and the first class is suitable from birth with the newborn insert part).

Just check out things carefully - Vauxhall seatbelts can be a bit of a pain because some of them have longer stalks so buckle crunch is a potential issue... but having said that, we've got the Britax in a Zafira fine (it's got an alternative strap routing pathway you might need to use though).

We bought our rear-facing seat here. Really happy with it, although I can't remember which one it is ... I know it's a Britax one, though, and fits fine in our car (Passat estate), but I think you would struggle to fit it in in a smaller car to be honest.

Definitely wanted rear-facing until four years old. Reading about internal decapitation gave me nightmares.

BergholtStuttleyJohnson Fri 19-Jul-13 08:51:45

britax two way elite is a good rear facing seat, my tall ds1 outgrew his infant seat at 8 months, his head was over the top of the seat. We got a two way elite and kept him rear facing until the age of two, I would have kept him rear facing longer but he kept wriggling out the straps even though they are tight. We turned him forward so I could distract him and stop him doing it (I sit in passenger seat btw, dh drives). It will last him ages though, still plenty of room even though he's tall so he'll be in a five point harness until he's five or six. Ds2 has a britax first class plus, he's a much shorter child and at 16 months still has plenty of room. I think he'll be able to stay rear facing in it until he's two.

lola88 Sat 20-Jul-13 19:04:11

I had a britax one can't remember the model but it is good he was always facing front from about 7 months when he came out of his carrier seat because he screamed like a looney if he faced the back would make himself sick and get in such a state he couldn't breathe so i thought it was safer to have him facing the front in the circumstances

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now